Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Cigar
  • 1 Post By TeRei
  • 2 Post By Mooseman
  • 1 Post By Druid

Thread: Cannelures

Cannelures

Ive been doing a bit of goat control and have been using the hornady 60 gr soft point with unsatisfactory results at least from the goats viewpoint. I got 200 belmont black 60 gr at an insane price and they are accurate and sl faster(80 fps) than my handloads.
    However the terminal results seem different. On big billies they appear to penetrate less and be a bit explody. All the bullets ive recovered have lost their lead core and the jackets are pretty shredded compared with the ones ive been using.
    So im wondering does the cannelure weaken the jacket slightly.
    Its not a biggie but it would be nice to know.

Gone but not forgotten
    I have some of those I bought years back, thinking being heavier they were a goat/deer bullet, but they are actually a varmint bullet so designed to fall to bits.
    Now I use 55gr Sierra Gamekings, while lighter at least they are designed for larger game not varmints.
    dannyb likes this.

This is a rabbit hole if ever I saw one.
    Could be just that batch of pills.
    How often do they go pop? How many billies has this happened on? Also what range? Cheers.

Edit there ya go Cigar has it
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

WE have shot many hundreds of goats with 52/53gr Sierra out of our 8twist 223 using 26gr BM2. Very effective.When reds popped up they got 1 in the swede or neck.
    A330driver likes this.

My go to was the sierra 55 gr gameking, supply dried up for a while and the hornady seemed to do the business. Comments based on 20 animals, ive got the bits and could photograph them. A mix of stationary and moving targets at a between 100 and 200 yards. I know its not a scientific test but the cannelured things seem to different.
    I might go back to the sierras but the price is a bit eye watering for quantity shooting

The Hornady 55 gr SP/ WC has the cannelure and work very well in my 223.
    johnd and 25 /08 IMP like this.

+1 for the Hornady 55grn they are awesome on goats and deer

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Belmont used to do a load with the 55gr Hornady SP, it was a good goat load. Also used to do the 55gr Lapua SP which I bought about 500 as seconds from them, they seem to have a heavier jacket and occasionally pass through on goats, still killed well.

Sent from my SM-A530F using Tapatalk

+2 on Hornady 55gr sp head and neck no problems, lung /heart have had them go 50m (whitetail) ranges from 50-200m

Cannelures , depending on depth and length , can and usually do change the expansion characteristics of a projectile compared to an otherwise identical projectile without a cannelure
    Marty Henry likes this.
    Get as close as you can then six feet closer

Billy goats are solid animals, a bit like the difference between a bull tahr and a nanny tahr. If it works on a billy goat it will work on a red hind in my experience.