Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Moa Hunter
  • 1 Post By Flyblown

Thread: Projectiles for 358 win. Need more penitration

Projectiles for 358 win. Need more penitration

Hi Guys.
    I have been using the Serria game kings in 225gr at about 2450 fps. Up until this trip they hVe been great blowing up goats and taking out both shoulders on North Island bush red yearlings or spikers at 150-200.

Have just come back from central Otago hunt on private land, my son and myself got a large bodied stag each.
    Sons stage was at 260 yds, entered a little low under elbow, bullet blew up and only exit was a could of small holes. He went 5 mtr, reared up fell over and tumbled 40 mtr down hill breaking his skull.
    Mine was at 150 mtr and blew up in the near side shoulder without penitrating enough to create a fatal chest wound. Next next shot also in shoulder and 3rd shot was a bit far back and high by the spine. I was shooting from well above him.
    That stopped him walking off but it took another 2 shots at point blank to kill him.
    Did not want to damage the skull and the taxidermist had asked for a spare cape for a client.

Always had considered the 225 gr GK a large animal bullet but was very disappointed. Do I go to. Lighter faster 180gr spire point for more velocity shock or a harder bullet lit a pro hunter or partition for more penitration for these large bodied stag’s.
    Or have I just picked up an old box of GK’s that are soft.
    Z

Son Also shot an eating fallow deer at 100 mtr. Entered front on and destroyed heart etc but found bullet bits in both shoulders, lost some ribs on one side and some bullet fragments in the rear legs as well. No exit. Good penitration here but only a soft target.

Banned
    Nathan Foster has a good write up on his 'Terminal Ballistics' site. The Go-too do everything bullet is the 225 Partition - quoting Nathan.
    hope that helps
    Micky Duck likes this.

Superb penetration by explosive projectiles with shaped charges.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

225 gr partion, is likely your best bet, I've been playing with the 200 gr accubond, but think it may be to long for your 99, I have several mm more mag length in the 77,
    I've just bought a BLR takedown in .358,
    The game king results I had were quite good, so maybe a poor batch, ?

The 200 gr round nose hornardy may be an option, I like them, and I am sure that cutting edge and woodleigh have good options
    Last edited by southernman; 24-04-2019 at 02:04 AM.

more powder will fix penetration, i use 83.3 grains of 2213 in my 35 caliber.

Banned
    Takes away from the point of a medium bore...disappointing. Flyblown was talking about shooting them in a 35Whelen on scrub bulls to good effect. Southern might be onto it with a bad batch...hope so...I've got a few to shoot in 350rem mag...my ego couldn't take them behaving like that

Woodleigh projectiles are used by a lot of buff hunters, would be worth a look.
    More meplat, more better.

Very surprised to hear that. Not the experience I've had with them at all, nice fat solid mushrooms was the norm. They were going a fair bit faster than yours, which also doesn't make sense.
    stevodog likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

Banned
    Comforting words from flyblown

Use the 200/225 gn woodlieghs or the 200 gn tsx. Both good game bullets in the smaller .35s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was a new box of the Game Kings I had purchased earlier this year. Previous deer were shot with bullets from a different box and they passed though red yearlings taking out both forelegs and leaving a 100mm exit hole under the skin.
    Yep that last stag was tough on the ego. Of course the only other loads I had taken was some 158gr over trail boss.

Moa/Southernman. Thanks will look at some Partitions. Not so keen on the round nose as I want to be able to shoot out to 300 mtr. Have the 158 gr xtp pistol bullets for fun. Hope to have another north island red meat hunt lined up in August so will try again.

Geez Martin what are you shooting, 83 gr is a large charge of powder what sort of speeds are you getting, and how’s the shoulder?
    Dicko, I have had another professional hunter suggest I may be better to drop down to a 180 gr and crank the speed up for more hydraulic shock effects. A light bullet with good BC would be interesting but I’m sort of opposed to the idea of the solid copper TSX type of bullet as I’m a believer in getting as much energy transfure as possible. Ie bullet under the skin on the opposite side.

Thanks for the input.
    Z

ZL,

I use the Barnes in my Whelen. Nothing kill more quickly than a big hole through the chest it makes tracking easy if needed.

The alternative is what your posting on.

The woodlieghs would be a compromise between the two positions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Martin358 View Post
    more powder will fix penetration, i use 83.3 grains of 2213 in my 35 caliber.
    Is that a 358 Norma Mag?
    Get as close as you can then six feet closer