Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 180 gn in 30-30

180 gn in 30-30

I've got some Smith&Wesson .308 dia180gn RN SP jacketed bullets to try in my 1984 made Marlin 336C microgrove with 18.5in barrel and 1:10 twist. I figure these were probably made for a 308 LA rather than a 30-30 but hey...

Plan is to work up a load with IMR 3031 by cross referencing and extrapolating from what the cast bullet lot are doing with cast 180s. Seeing as there is no published data for more than 173gn currently. I have other suitable powders also but IMR 3031 is first choice because its is fairly broad spectrum and forgiving.

I'd be keen on a velocity around 1800fps or better. Not really interested in subsonic in the 30-30 but if they turn out to not work so well I will use them in a 308 and then maybe as subs.

I'm interested in info/ comments from any one who has already been down this path of 30-30 18ogn loads. Or any info on the expected performance of a big blunt soft nose at this kind of velocity. I've never used any other S&W projectiles.

Rounds will be used for general field hunting on goats and deer in the 100-150m max range but mostly under 75m. Possibly also pigs at max 50m.

Rifle wears a Vortex Crossfire II Scout Scope.

Cheers. J.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

I have used 180 grain cast flat nose cast bullets in a 3030 for the last 30 years with lyman aperture sights mv 1400fps tips over deer, goats, and pigs out to around 150 yds no problem, but you you need to know your trajectory quite well as it's a bit archy.

Tube mag lever actions use flat nose projectiles to avoid premature ignition in the magazines from round/pointed projectiles touching the primer of the round in front. The 180 grain weight is not the problem but the shape of the nose could be!

Quote Originally Posted by gundoc View Post
    Tube mag lever actions use flat nose projectiles to avoid premature ignition in the magazines from round/pointed projectiles touching the primer of the round in front. The 180 grain weight is not the problem but the shape of the nose could be!
    As in OP they are a fat RN. Perfect for tube mags.

Hi Jhon

For jacketed projectiles I started with 150s, got good results and have never moved on. My 336 is now on a diet of the Ranch Dog cast boolits.

However, in the darkest depths of my notes, I found this reference to 180 grain Speer Jacketed Round Nose in the 30-30. https://reloadammo.com/30-30-rifle-loads/

At max, it's actually the classic 30 cal load using 3031 and gives 1950 fps.

Good luck

expansion or lack of it could be a problem if the bullet is built for .308W speeds.
    if it was me i would get a stack of soaking wet newspaper at least a foot thick, more would be better and do some tests before i tried them on animals. That is the method i used when testing cast bullets, while not perfect it does give you an idea of performance.

good luck . . R
    without a picture . .. it never happened !

Quote Originally Posted by novembersierra View Post
    Hi Jhon

For jacketed projectiles I started with 150s, got good results and have never moved on. My 336 is now on a diet of the Ranch Dog cast boolits.

However, in the darkest depths of my notes, I found this reference to 180 grain Speer Jacketed Round Nose in the 30-30. https://reloadammo.com/30-30-rifle-loads/

At max, it's actually the classic 30 cal load using 3031 and gives 1950 fps.

Good luck
    Awesome thks!

Quote Originally Posted by rossi.45 View Post
    expansion or lack of it could be a problem if the bullet is built for .308W speeds.
    if it was me i would get a stack of soaking wet newspaper at least a foot thick, more would be better and do some tests before i tried them on animals. That is the method i used when testing cast bullets, while not perfect it does give you an idea of performance.

good luck . . R
    Good idea, will do!