Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: 200 grain cast bullets in .357 magnum cases

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Coote View Post
    Thanks for that Mikee. When my mould finally arrives my initial experiments will be with AP70N since I have some already.... my first goal is to have some heavy, subsonic loads. After that though, I want to have faster loads for longer ranges where noise isn't a problem. So I might need that 2205 thank you... if you finally decide it is surplus. I dunno what other powder you might use to get that speed, most data I've seen for higher velocities is an AR2205 equivalent.... mind you, I haven't spent much time researching that.

What are you planning to shoot with those 140 grainers?
    The general idea is I wanted something that was easy carrying and something I could throw in the truck when I am out and about with the dog, just in case we bumped into something a bit bigger than a wabbit.

May try Lil Gun next

Ooh... Simon, that is good data thank you. I've never seen a Vihtavuori book before. I think Kelly Country down here stock some types of Vihtavuori. Much appreciated. And Nigel from Kelly Country was talking to me about Lil Gun recently... so they may be able to get that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Coote View Post
    Ooh... Simon, that is good data thank you. I've never seen a Vihtavuori book before. I think Kelly Country down here stock some types of Vihtavuori. Much appreciated. And Nigel from Kelly Country was talking to me about Lil Gun recently... so they may be able to get that too.
    Google “marvin stuart reloading” there is a collection of old school reloading data taken from a number of manuals compiled into a single PDF.
    Limited Calibers but there is one for 357 magnum.
    Stumbled across it some time back when looking for loads for 7.62x39.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you Simon, it will be handy. I like the 7.62 x 39. Years ago my Dad got some military-style ammo in that calibre and he converted a couple of Lee-Enfields so they'd shoot it. One of these old rifles had open sights and I was delighted to shoot a deer at maybe 120 yards away with it. The deer was shot through the heart, but it took me a long time to find it. It had fallen in some 'bonsai' manuka not far from where it had been hit. I smelled it before I saw it.

I wonder if CFE BLK might be worth trying
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

I think CFE BLK would be a good powder to experiment with. Never heard of it until now thanks. I haven't measured the volumes of the cases, but at a glance the 300 Blackout and a .357 magnum don't seem to be too different.

EDIT: Just checked out the Hodgdon data site. That powder seems to be ideal for subsonic loads, and the pressures quoted are relatively low. I reckon it could be the stuff to use if you can't quite fit enough Trail Boss in the case.
    Last edited by Coote; 11-01-2020 at 03:49 PM. Reason: More info.

The other good book is the RCBS reloading book which had data for the 200 grainer I am sure.
    I thought I still had the book but can't locate at present. I may have sold it when I got out of pistols however.

Also check out this site. excellent people and loads of information.

Looking for suggested starting load for 200gr RCBS FN-GC in .357mag w/Hod. Lil'Gun

Thanks Ihmsakiwi. That is an encouraging forum page. There certainly seems to be a heap of enthusiastic reloaders in the USA.

For a long time I wished I could shoot pistols and especially take one out hunting. That hankering diminished after a while, although to this day I'd love to be able to legally carry one in the bush. However, I reckon my little Rossi 92 .357 provides me with a lot of the fun I'd have had with a pistol.... plus, at least for me, it is more likely to hit a target.