Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Maca49
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry
  • 1 Post By Driverman
  • 1 Post By Maca49

Thread: 9.3 cast bullets

9.3 cast bullets

Does anyone have a 9.3 (.365) mould dropping a 190-225 gr projectile, that they could cast a few for me with.
    Im trying to get a huski cape rifle shooting the twist is 1:25, and some 285s I got keyhole as they need a 1:18 twist.
    Nothing wrong with the 16 gauge barrel though!
    Thanks in advance (hopefully)

Identify your target beyond all doubt

Got the 285 grainers off him, they are the only weight in 9.3 hes got unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Does anyone have a 9.3 (.365) mould dropping a 190-225 gr projectile, that they could cast a few for me with.
    Im trying to get a huski cape rifle shooting the twist is 1:25, and some 285s I got keyhole as they need a 1:18 twist.
    I'll check mine , think I have two moulds
    Marty Henry likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Name:  89E06C8A-E92F-4C8E-8D72-75FBCDBD36C2.jpeg
Views: 262
Size:  1.62 MB
    Only one I can find at present, keyholes from my 38-55 @ 50 metres
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Probably not a winner then
    Maca49 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Cant you push it a bit faster.

Thus is an old post from cast boolits website

Also called the 360 nitro, a popular calibre in the Husquvarna single shot and combination guns. I recently acquired one in a Husky 16x9.3 cape gun. It came with dies and was acquired cheap and came with dies. The owner gave up on it as he said there was no where to get brass.

I checked with Buffalo arms and they had the 9.3x 74 brass which could have been cut down for $80 a box of 20. Gunbroker had some Bertram brass for $200 a box. All way to dear for my budget. But since this is a metric 38-55 I thought I would give it a try.

Starline brass in 38-55 is 2.130 untrimmed from the factory. The 9.3 brass is suppose to be 2.250. This is just abouot like shooting 38 special in a 357 so I thought I would give it a try. I made a sizeing die that would squeeze some undersize .374 bullet down to 369 as the bore is 368 with a fairly tight chamber. I resized the 38-55 cases in the C and H die and they came out just over .1 short for the chamber as cast with cerrosafe. I seated the 250 grain bullets over 10 grains of Trail Boss for the first load. They shot just fine with just a little swelling at the base of the case, less than you get shooting factory 303's in a military rifle. The bullets are stable in the rifling and are about 4" to the left with the sights at the factory setting. I was so happy I ordered a mould from Mountain Moulds for the rifle and wills see if a dedicated mould will do any better.

On a hunch I seated some Lee 365 bullets for the Makarov over 5 grains of trail Boss and they shoot dead on at 20 yards with the third sight flipped up. A rabbit load too,same as the original!

I will post more as I work up a hunting load. The 240 grain bullet I have coming should be good for 1700-1800 fps or about the same as a 38-55.
    Marty Henry likes this.

Good info, Im also using starline brass from hayes, 250 is the top weight that was used in the original loading, and I was hoping someone might have a 9.3 mold casting a similar or slightly lighter slug. I saw the makarov in the reloaders catalogue but 95 grains seems a bit light. Guess I could bubba it on a lathe.
    I found a promising mold by cast bullet engineering in oz and that rabbit hole is an option if I really want to but ive got enough damn molds now and dont intend this to be a big volume shooter

Quote Originally Posted by Driverman View Post
    Cant you push it a bit faster.
    Would need to go over 2500 fps to do that so no not with a lead bullet or this rifle thanks.

Bubba some on the lathe, No mate just make a mould on your lathe, I`m knocking up .500grner for my Sharps at the mo, just a single one to see if it likes them, you just have to get the length of the bullet you want to make so it ends up some were near the weight you want. It`s 1.320" long for a .45 500grs, just have to see if my 1-20" twist will work at 1.200/300fps. No such thing as "Can't do it".

Slight problem there, I dont have a lathe or the skills to use one, its an oversight in my cv, that I regret now and then.

Shape a drill to the projectile, cut in half and use a hose clip to hold it together! There solve, I have some small jacketed 38/55 projectiles here? Any help?
    Marty Henry likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Shape a drill to the projectile, cut in half and use a hose clip to hold it together! There solve, I have some small jacketed 38/55 projectiles here? Any help?
    Ill bear that in mind thanks, but I might be on to some cast ones, friend of a friend etc so well see.