Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: 200gr ELD-X for 30-06

mooseman...I reckon it will be more of a shove than a boot. I find the 180s in .308 easier on shoulder than 150s its "different" type of shove.

Yeh you would be right, either way you will know when they go off.
    Robojaz I had a look in the Hornady manual and the max charge for Superformance powder is 56.7 grs for 2650 fps, I think this would be a grunnty load and should work well even out to some distance. Probably pay to work up to that charge but most of the books these days are conservative in there loadings.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    Yeh you would be right, either way you will know when they go off.
    Robojaz I had a look in the Hornady manual and the max charge for Superformance powder is 56.7 grs for 2650 fps, I think this would be a grunnty load and should work well even out to some distance. Probably pay to work up to that charge but most of the books these days are conservative in there loadings.
    Thanks. Will see if i can find some superformance powder.

Woodleigh do a 240gr roundnose, not much would stop one of them.
    mikee likes this.

The Original Striker
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Used 53gr 2209 with 208 amax before, was getting warm in my rifle though (springfield 03-A3 factory sporter)
    No idea how fast it was going. Recoil was intense..
    some of the guys in the states are getting 2750-2800fps reliably in the 3006 with 200's/210's and 215's,
    a few of the fclass boys can get 200's to 2600-2700+ with 53 grains 2209 in once fired win brass, fed 215s and long barrels in .308
    Bigger Better Faster Stronger
    Handle the Jandle, or get off the Beach

The Original Striker

More pills and Powder!! burtonator's Avatar
    anyone tried the 200g eldx in a 300 win mag?
    Life is the art of drawing without an eraser

I use the 178 gr ELD X in the 300 WM and think the 200 gr would be pretty good as well.

Back again,

I ran some test loads through the rifle using 2209, the grouping was not spectacular about 1.5 MOA, at a velocity of 2570 ft/s and about 1.0 MOA at 2450 ft/s. I am going to revisit using Superformance powder, but do not have any load data on this powder with a 200gr ELD-X in 30-06. The Hodgdon website only goes up to 180gr projectile for Superformance.

Anyone out there have 30-06 load data with Superformance and 200gr projectile?

Thanks

Yep, according to the Hornady 10th edition manual the max load for Superformance and the 200 gr ELD X is 56.7 grs. I just picked up a box of 200 gr ELD x bullets today and rushed home and loaded 10 up and shot up the forest to run them through the chrono and see where they shot in relation to the Noslar 180 gr BT. They were pretty close and only needed a little adjustment. I didn't have time to play around as I needed to be home by 3.00pm to ring my son in Canada. They grouped OK for a rush job, bit over an inch but certainly minute of Sambar deer.
    I loaded mine up at 55.2 grs of Superformance and the loads averaged ( 7 shots) at 2660 fps which was pleasing. I think with more time It will shoot a bit better than todays effort so I will see next time I try it, but it's good enough for hunting.
    56.7 grs according to the book should give around 2650 fps, I am getting that at 1.5 grs less than max so there is room for more speed but I don't think I will need it. Rifle is a Ruger American with a 22 inch Barrel.
    jakewire and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    Yep, according to the Hornady 10th edition manual the max load for Superformance and the 200 gr ELD X is 56.7 grs. I just picked up a box of 200 gr ELD x bullets today and rushed home and loaded 10 up and shot up the forest to run them through the chrono and see where they shot in relation to the Noslar 180 gr BT. They were pretty close and only needed a little adjustment. I didn't have time to play around as I needed to be home by 3.00pm to ring my son in Canada. They grouped OK for a rush job, bit over an inch but certainly minute of Sambar deer.
    I loaded mine up at 55.2 grs of Superformance and the loads averaged ( 7 shots) at 2660 fps which was pleasing. I think with more time It will shoot a bit better than todays effort so I will see next time I try it, but it's good enough for hunting.
    56.7 grs according to the book should give around 2650 fps, I am getting that at 1.5 grs less than max so there is room for more speed but I don't think I will need it. Rifle is a Ruger American with a 22 inch Barrel.
    Interesting speed alright! I have the powder and 208 to try which I may do this weekend if the weather is as bad as they say.
    If I could get them to 2600 FPS and they were a solid group I’d be stoked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M

Should easily do 2600 fps with 208 gr Amax as I was well under max so you should have room to move. Be interested to hear your results. The speed I am getting with the 200 gr bullet is about the same as Noslar 180 gr with 57 grs of AR 2209 so a max load of Superformance might put you up to 2750 plus fps . Try it one day to see .
    Danny likes this.

a projectile of 200 grns ish of weight going 2500fps ish isnt going to need to be tack driver...its not like you looking at 400 yard plus for deer???? that will still put you at 6" group at that range and anything under will be in big big trouble...at 400yard plus there will be better options and time to swap loads to your predetermind long range super slayer round....
    good to hear you guys getting real world results with them....sure beats guessing if they will work.
    jakewire likes this.

The load I have still has over 1000 ft lds energy at 925 yards and sighted in at a 200 yard zero I need 30.5 MOA for a 1000 yards. It isn't a slough by any means but I think it would be a good load out to around 650- 700 yards. Took it for a walk today before the rain but nothing wanted to commit suicide today.
    Tahr likes this.

I loaded a few 208’s today...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mooseman likes this.
    Dan M

I pushed the 208 amax with 56 grains of 2209 in a 3006AI recoil was um ...brisk, accuracy was very good.24 inch 1/10 Douglas barrel.