Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: 22-250 Ackley Improved Load Development

55grn or above wants faster than 1;12
    I bought 50 grn waaay back and havent regretted decision.... the 55grns I was given loaded and they stabilise ok in 1;12 at .223 speed
    Ive only loaded 2x the 50grn ttsx in the 22-250 case...just in case find something bigger while out after hares,they SHOULD be ok in 1;14 maybe??? did think about removing the blue plastic tip to make em shorter...but Im buggered if my brain can process HOW that would make any difference so havent bothered.
    takbok and charliehorse like this.

there is a 45grn tsx on market......Alex Gale was using 45grn monos in .22-250 years ago,they werent barnes,THINK they were GS custom jobbies,so we arent doing any thing new.
    takbok likes this.

@bully, doesn't seem bad. I don't clean barrels religiously - just a few patches after every 50 odd rounds. This one's no better or worse than anything else.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

Banned
    @Pommy perhaps MD is right and a mono like Barnes might be the best choice - a bullet that can operate over a really wide range of velocity reliably. I had soft projectiles blow to pieces on impact leaving only a shallow flesh wound with 2506 AI before going to AB's

monos for deer and pigs if you have time to switch them,or are targeting them..and softies for varmits...wallabies,the softer the better.

Definitely won't be wasting the zmax at the range just to fireform. Shall be doing that on the hillside at some hoppers!

The 75gr ELD's and 77gr TMK's go really well on deer from 1:8 twist 223's. I'll be testing the 88's on hoppers too to make sure the added speed and spin doesn't turn them into grenades... no problem if it does - that will make for some extremely dead hoppers and it will still be great for competition. The Barnes will be a great backup for 4 legged game.
    Micky Duck likes this.

there is dozen 62grns and dozen 70grns here with your name on them....... even if it takes you 6 of each to work out semi reasonable grouping load.thats still a dozen very dead deers worth LOL.
    Steelisreal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    monos for deer and pigs if you have time to switch them,or are targeting them..and softies for varmits...wallabies,the softer the better.
    Don't worry @Micky Duck he's got an advanced degree in hopper deaderising now! Hard to say what is the most emphatic - the 70g Blitzkings out if the 6XC are a leading contender, though the Sierra 100g HP out of a 284 are fairly effective.....
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    55grn or above wants faster than 1;12
    I bought 50 grn waaay back and havent regretted decision.... the 55grns I was given loaded and they stabilise ok in 1;12 at .223 speed
    Ive only loaded 2x the 50grn ttsx in the 22-250 case...just in case find something bigger while out after hares,they SHOULD be ok in 1;14 maybe??? did think about removing the blue plastic tip to make em shorter...but Im buggered if my brain can process HOW that would make any difference so havent bothered.
    For what it's worth, I tried the 50gr TTSX in a 1:12 223 at close to 3400 and the groups were horrible. Like the worst combo I've ever tried, 8 inches at 100m horrible. They weren't tumbling but it makes me think they need to be driven and spun much faster than one might expect.

I was messing around with the JBM stability calculator vs the Berger one the other day. With the JBM one you can factor in the length of the plastic tip and when doing so the result is much better predicted stability. The Berger one does not take the length of the tip into account and tells you you need a faster twist. I'd say don't mess with the bullets because the tip doesn't affect the centre of gravity much with the plastic being so light.
    Micky Duck likes this.

interesting as they group under inch in my zastava which I believe is 1;12 they kill very well...at educated guess they going 3000-3100fps going by book data.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelisreal View Post
    Don't worry @Micky Duck he's got an advanced degree in hopper deaderising now! Hard to say what is the most emphatic - the 70g Blitzkings out if the 6XC are a leading contender, though the Sierra 100g HP out of a 284 are fairly effective.....
    until you have seen the terminal effect of a 110grn .277 hornady fbhp..you aint seen nothing yet. driven at 3100ish fps they are outstanding,as were 125grn Speer TNT from the .308 and the 130grn speer HPS too..and 125grn NBTS OH popping hoppers is just so much fun
    the 50grn zmax in wee .223 just work for me,the only other projectile I have liked so much was the 50grn spsx they too were very soft n explody.... mr hopper doesnt go anywhere when hit with soft pills....that said Ive taken a fair few out with .223 fmj without issues.
    Steelisreal likes this.

I've tried the 125 TNT and the 130 Speer HP and I agree they both work very well. I've had a couple of 308's and the 125 in particular at about 3100 were really good. When I tried the 130's it was with a rifle with a shorter barrel and at lower speed they weren't as ultra violent as the 125's but I'm using them in a 300 blackout now and even at only 2150 they're still doing the damage up close.

yes them speer 130hps are a vasty under rated projectile. good on reds too at the slower speeds. its a balancing act to get some expansion at lower velocity/recoil level and these just seem to work. at full noise...oh lookout,whatever it hits will know about it..not huge penertration but boy oh boy do they expand.perfect on wobblies.

Quote Originally Posted by Pommy View Post
    Definitely won't be wasting the zmax at the range just to fireform. Shall be doing that on the hillside at some hoppers!

The 75gr ELD's and 77gr TMK's go really well on deer from 1:8 twist 223's. I'll be testing the 88's on hoppers too to make sure the added speed and spin doesn't turn them into grenades... no problem if it does - that will make for some extremely dead hoppers and it will still be great for competition. The Barnes will be a great backup for 4 legged game.
    My current trot with 53gr Barnes on all deer is simply amazing. Forgot how effective a pill and deadly it was to shoot. Just mows them down. Hardly any sound with the DPT.
    Micky Duck, takbok and Pommy like this.

Gave the barrel a clean last night and tried a few more of the ballistic tips today. 9 rounds. Ran a mandrel through the case mouths on them to reduce the neck tension and upped the charge to 36.3gr of Benchmark 8208. One or both of those things had a very positive effect. Took a few rounds for POI to settle down after the clean. Speed was 3820...

Name:  20220102_161914.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  731.6 KB

Tried 43.2gr with 88's too. Chrono got me one reading of 3193.

Name:  20220102_160534.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  545.5 KB