Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: 22-250 loading advice

somethings not right, the 22.250 is pretty easy to get to shoot. Look at your rifle/scope before your handholds. Been some excellent performing loads above, I have personally used 4895/2206H for the past 42 years in the same rifle for still under moa.
    hthomas and Gusto like this.

If you only want to shoot varmints use a 52/53 grain match bullet and 2206H or 2208 don't worry about if the case is full with medium powders it doesn't matter,
    If you can get some H380 powder try that at 38.0 grains it was the goto load for years in the US for varmint shooters
    Gusto likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by southernman View Post
    Varget or 3031, 36gr, CCI 200 and a 55 gr soft point either Speer or Serria, worked well in both my 22-250's, try a flat base bullet, quite often they shoot very well, and a much less fickle than a boat tail, and take a hard look at the crown if it still doesn't shoot well, I've seen a couple SPS, with very poor finished barrels.
    Yea your right about the barrel finish not the nicest machining job on the rifling

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rockland View Post
    Sounds like something is a bit off with your rig. I would've thought at least one of the factory loads would have shot MoA.
    Is the muzzle crown undamaged, scope mounts tight, barrel free of copper fouling?
    I took it to my local gunsmith we put a bore scope down it and he re crowned it cause there was some pitting around it. Scope is brand new leupold torqued down. Given it a good clean but your right I thought it was the gun as well

Have you had a chance to shoot it since the re crown? Hopefully there is an improvement.

watch out for the forend flexing if using a bipod or any kind of pressure on a Remington plastic stock with the pressure points at the tip of the stock

R.
    without a picture . .. it never happened !

Quote Originally Posted by Gusto View Post
    24” 1:14 twist I’ve tried 55g sp and 60g Vmax with adequately disappointing performances

So my next thoughts were the crown and/or throat if you can't get any sort of accuracy
    As has been mentioned a rifle cal that is very easy to get accuracy from, there has to be more to it.

No one has mentioned W760 as a powder. It performed excellently in a 22.250 that I used meat hunting (years ago). Burnt the barrel out in the end. I used 40 grns W760 and a 55 grn bullet (but it was on the hot end - 39 might be a better bet).
    Gusto likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Double Shot View Post
    So my next thoughts were the crown and/or throat if you can't get any sort of accuracy
    As has been mentioned a rifle cal that is very easy to get accuracy from, there has to be more to it.
    What are the signs of throat erosion can you pick it up by eye? The re crown didn’t really change anything

Quote Originally Posted by rossi.45 View Post
    watch out for the forend flexing if using a bipod or any kind of pressure on a Remington plastic stock with the pressure points at the tip of the stock

R.
    I’m just shooting off bags at this stage, I thought being a really heavy barrel that bedding it or floating the barrel wouldn’t effect accuracy a great deal

Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    I recently built up a load for a mauser Amax , I tried a few different projectiles , 60g partition , 55g barnes ttsx neither were any good in fact the barnes were going sideways ! in the end I just went for a bog standard 55g serria spbt , rem large rifle 9.5 primers , 39 grans W760 ball powder with an oal 61.75 that's my max magazine length , get excellent accuracy I haven't chronied the load yet but I have shot 6 deer with the load , longest shot 260y and was really impressed with the damage it was a very large 2yo prego hind ....I shot the wrong deer after zooming up on 18x I got lost amongst the herd
    Both the partition and especially the barnes are long for weight cf a std cup and core which explains there performance in what im guessing is a std twist 1:14 rifle.