Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: 22 Hornet - Over Length Fired Once Cases?

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeyJason View Post
    I have two 465s.
    Three more this morning. By seating a little deeper I got an xtra 15 fps. Up from a pedestrian 2135 to a screaming 2150 average.
    I tried feeding from the side as in rifle lying down and then slowly and these vmaxs less the red knob feed flawlessly. Happy chappy.
    Now to sight in at a ton and look out rabbits and others.
    Interesting. I have been avoiding pointy projectiles, like VMax, because my understanding is the Hornet was developed (or be it 100 years ago).to shoot round nosed bullets. I've been loading the 40grn Winchester HP W/C on the right of photo. Just now the courier has delivered Speer #1023 45grn Sptzer SP BC 0.143, which I like the look of for smooth feeding. Got 8 projectiles now for comparison. Going to load ten of each with same powder charge, 10 or 11 guns AR2207 and see which feeds and groups best. Might milk bottles test them too.

It is fairly academic because any of these projectiles will kill well, but good to know in terms of what is available in times of shortages.Name:  20240119_163530.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  2.06 MB

I BELIEVE/THINK the short bit has more to do with being able to stabilise in slow twist at slower speed....dont think plastic tip will effect that so much as no weight in it... happy to be proved wrong. its the overall length of the heavy bit that counts...why barnes suck in slow twists lol
    75/15/10 black powder matters

. To start the process I first got a hold of some 46 gr winchester soft point(hard to find 22 hornet ammo here, 88 bucks per box of fifty, now 105) then some ppu 45 gr and more winchester in 45 gr hollow, something like that.
    None would group tight.
    Now this morning with the new 40 gr vmax minus the red knob it's doing a very happy tight smiley face, very pleased with that.
    So give them a go Hugh if you want maybe a smaller rabbits eye group.
    Micky Duck and Hugh Shields like this.

I remember once you couldnt get bullets with trendy coloured tips. They still seemed to work as well....