Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree13Likes
  • 2 Post By nor-west
  • 1 Post By grandpamac
  • 1 Post By XR500
  • 1 Post By Jhon
  • 4 Post By Grey Kiwi
  • 1 Post By Tedz50
  • 1 Post By TeRei

Thread: .222 and 55 grain spire points

.222 and 55 grain spire points

As some know I've picked up a Greener falling block in .222 rimmed, got brass organised and bought a couple boxes of 40 and 50 grain projectiles as Im guessing if will be 1/12 or 1/14 twist, while I was there I noticed boxes of a 1000 55 grain gamekings for $250 and thought if I grabbed one of those it would do for the .222 and the 22.250 but being a boat tail may not stabilise in the little .222. Does anyone shoot this particular bullet in a .222?

https://shootersdelight.com.au/produ...a-1000-pieces/
    Micky Duck and csmiffy like this.
    I'm trying to get to heaven before they shut the door.

No help to you but I must say I’m extremely jealous of the price their a great projo

Greetings @nor-west,
    You need to measure the twist. The .222R has been around a long time so the twist is unlikely to be faster than 1 in 14" and could be slower. I recently loaded some 55 grain projectiles in a .222 with a 1 in 14" twist 20.5" barrel which shot well. These projectiles were quite blunt and flat base. Only one way to tell though.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Muttonguts likes this.

55gn gamekings is all I fired through my Sportco .222. Think it was 1:14. Tack driver.
    nor-west likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nor-west View Post
    As some know I've picked up a Greener falling block in .222 rimmed, got brass organised and bought a couple boxes of 40 and 50 grain projectiles as Im guessing if will be 1/12 or 1/14 twist, while I was there I noticed boxes of a 1000 55 grain gamekings for $250 and thought if I grabbed one of those it would do for the .222 and the 22.250 but being a boat tail may not stabilise in the little .222. Does anyone shoot this particular bullet in a .222?

https://shootersdelight.com.au/produ...a-1000-pieces/
    Geeze mate, you wanna post a box of those over here?
    Micky Duck likes this.
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Bos
    My 222 loves 50g, not so keen on 55gr.
    Try before you buy

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    If your Greener is a re-chambered rimfire - and many were - then you may have a 1-16 barrel. Measuring tape , marker pen and cleaning rod time
    If I recall correctly those were mostly done in 22 hornet as its .223 not.224 and wore out quite fast as the steel wasn't up to the increased pressure and wear of a jacketed bullet.

Many years ago I had a lovely Tikka .222 rifle.
    I reloaded for it, and my old mate put me onto using .22 magnum projectiles. At that time you could buy a bag of them from Gun City. Was about 500 in a bag (?).
    Used some Red Dot powder (IIRC) for a reduced load and spun them along at a tad faster than 'normal' .22 magnum velocity. Somewhere between .22 Magnum and .222 speed.
    They shot very well, and cheaply, plus quietly (no suppressors back then).
    Don't know if you can still buy those wee jacketed .22 magnum projectiles now, but if so then they are worth playing with too.

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    If your Greener is a re-chambered rimfire - and many were - then you may have a 1-16 barrel. Measuring tape , marker pen and cleaning rod time
    Gidday @muzza no it was a 310 rebarreled in NSW by an older gunsmith now passed.
    I'm trying to get to heaven before they shut the door.

This post is very timely for me as I was given some 50 Gr and 55 Gr 22 hornet reloads by a kindly forum member.
    The 50 Gr reloads the first 3 shots in one hole at 50 metres and so I fired of the rest all within an inch and half or so.
    Feeling pretty pleased I fired the 55 Gr loads. 18 in about 8 inches but most in about 3 inches. All holes were round so just unstable.
    In the past have shot 35 40 and 45 grain projectiles and have found 35 grainers most accurate.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Kiwi View Post
    Many years ago I had a lovely Tikka .222 rifle.
    I reloaded for it, and my old mate put me onto using .22 magnum projectiles. At that time you could buy a bag of them from Gun City. Was about 500 in a bag (?).
    Used some Red Dot powder (IIRC) for a reduced load and spun them along at a tad faster than 'normal' .22 magnum velocity. Somewhere between .22 Magnum and .222 speed.
    They shot very well, and cheaply, plus quietly (no suppressors back then).
    Don't know if you can still buy those wee jacketed .22 magnum projectiles now, but if so then they are worth playing with too.
    Cunning. Like.
    Grey Kiwi likes this.

Ive been looking at an empty lolly tin on bench for last few days.... they anoy the crap out of me as it gets wasted when empty....looking at it my mind kept darn well saying thats got to be close to trim length for the trebly..... so I measured and buggermesideways its EGZACHARY 1.7" so a perfect trim length measure.
    theres your bit of worthless trivia for the day.
    75/15/10 black powder matters