Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Leaver action black magic/ dark arts

Leaver action black magic/ dark arts

Ive started my first ever foray into loading for my fathers 30/30 marlin leaver action, going to be honest I sort of like it and I can see the functionality of it……and that’s about it, the rest is challenging, he is after some leverevolotion but it’s in the wrong island. He purchased a stack of 170gr nosler partition projectiles

I’m unsure just how much crimp is best? Also using a powder that is readily available, ive a bit of 2206h 2208 BM1 h4831 and a small amount of h335. I did a test load tonight on a 2206h recipe and man slightly disappointing but im taking that down to running in a new barrel. But again that could also be poor crimp application?

Are there any good powders readily available, preferably in the adi range for the 170gr range

And any other tips greatly appreciated

Thanks

Gone but not forgotten
    AR2206h, 2208 and leverevolution all work in the 30-30, I'vebeen using LVR recently but once the bottle is empty I'll just go back to 2208.
    My barrel is 8 inches shorter than use for most of the available data, I use the velocity of factory ammo in my rifle as a benchmark for working up a load.
    I seat to the cannelure and crimp just enough to prevent the projectile moving deeper into the case.
    scottrods and dannyb like this.

You might find a round nose pill better in the marlin, from memory the partition is pointed ?
    Do you have a factory load that shoots well ? I have only loaded for 1 lever a marlin 336 30/30, it shot well with Hornady Whitetail 150gn so I basically emulated that with sierra 150gn rn projectiles seated to same ogive length with a little crimp to stop them being pushed into the case when pushed into the mag.
    A lot of folk say levers are only MOA or just over MOA but I can tell you mine was well under MOA 3 shot clover leaf groups where the norm, it's no different to loading for any other rifle find a good stable velocity node then twiddle seating depth for accuracy.
    #DANNYCENT

Partitions would generally be considered too pointy to be going in a tube magazine lever action.
    dannyb likes this.
    The Biggest Room is the Room for Improvement

Seated to recommended OAL, i appreciate that its not crimped in the cannelure, can you neck size with a lever? Does the mechanism allow for seating longer to adjust for bullet jump?

It it a brand new rifle, i have 3x boxs of 170gr projectiles
    Name:  51A8928E-2EB3-4312-A638-C7DCC0E5EC76.jpeg
Views: 389
Size:  1.18 MB

Seat them deeper
    Name:  Screenshot_20220908-102223_Google.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  183.5 KB
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Velocity is thrilling,but diameter does the real killing.

Greetings @Tertle,
    Assuming that the loads shown in the pic are yours I would try seating the projectles a little deeper so the case mouth is in the middle of the crimping groove. I would also ensure that the cases are all trimmed to the same length as the crimp will differ from cartridge to cartridge if they are not. I would also load just 3 for a start and feed them from the mag to ensure there are no demons here to bite you later. You don't say what type of crimper you have but most need a crimping groove for best results. I once had a Martini chambered in .30-30 and the only group I shot was under 2 MoA at 100 yards (one called flyer excluded) with iron sights so the cartridge is capable.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    dannyb likes this.

@Tertle I’ve got a couple box’s of leverlution ammo if you want some factory ammo for it.
    Micky Duck and dannyb like this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Gone but not forgotten
    Full length sizing is recommended for lever actions, you don't have the camming action of a bolt-action to push slightly tight cases into the chamber.
    scottrods, Tertle and Tikka7mm08 like this.

@grandpamac yes they were my initial load, they were new brass but still went through the normal prep, i did think it was just odd that the cannelure on the nosler rounds when seated to the OAL was that far off the groove? If i seat to the crimp grove wouldn’t that create a further bullet jump? That sort of runs against my normal approach? I am using lee reloading dies that include a factory crimp die, i may be well over thinking it, ill make a few more today with 2206H and 2208 and see how they go, i will see if i can play with the crimp a little
    @outdoorlad i might hit you up for a couple of round to compare, thanks

I will see how these loads go and then if still have no luck will try and get dads leverevolution powder down

I have a marlin 336 Texan.
    I handload with 29 grains of ADI 2206h and 170 gr Sierra flat points.
    Cheap to load.

Sighted for 50m and groups 1inch at 50m.

Name:  kzZm12nA.jpeg
Views: 356
Size:  727.8 KB

suits the bush really.

Name:  3030 - made for the bush.jpeg
Views: 352
Size:  383.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Tertle View Post
    @grandpamac yes they were my initial load, they were new brass but still went through the normal prep, i did think it was just odd that the cannelure on the nosler rounds when seated to the OAL was that far off the groove? If i seat to the crimp grove wouldn’t that create a further bullet jump? That sort of runs against my normal approach? I am using lee reloading dies that include a factory crimp die, i may be well over thinking it, ill make a few more today with 2206H and 2208 and see how they go, i will see if i can play with the crimp a little
    @outdoorlad i might hit you up for a couple of round to compare, thanks

I will see how these loads go and then if still have no luck will try and get dads leverevolution powder down
    Yes there will be a bit more bullet jump but the blunt projectiles are pretty tolerant and usually shoot well seated away from the rifling. Crimp variation would be a bigger factor. Even with the Lee actory Crimp die I would still seat to suit the crimping groove.
    GPM.
    Tertle and dannyb like this.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Yes there will be a bit more bullet jump but the blunt projectiles are pretty tolerant and usually shoot well seated away from the rifling. Crimp variation would be a bigger factor. Even with the Lee actory Crimp die I would still seat to suit the crimping groove.
    GPM.
    Name:  IMG_0040.JPG
Views: 384
Size:  4.98 MBName:  IMG_0042.JPG
Views: 353
Size:  4.82 MB

I have attacked the use of a lever action from a different angle using it mainly for plinking and Hares and Wallabies at close range,
    and so have used 110 grain rem bulk pack SP,s or 110 grain restrikes which go well in the 308,s as well.
    I have found 30/30 very tolerant to bullet jump and in my Winchester feeding and accuracy to not be a problem.
    My loads are light and Grandkids could not get enough of them.
    Tertle and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tedz50 View Post
    Attachment 205590Attachment 205591

I have attacked the use of a lever action from a different angle using it mainly for plinking and Hares and Wallabies at close range,
    and so have used 110 grain rem bulk pack SP,s or 110 grain restrikes which go well in the 308,s as well.
    I have found 30/30 very tolerant to bullet jump and in my Winchester feeding and accuracy to not be a problem.
    My loads are light and Grandkids could not get enough of them.
    Just wondering what sort of load you use with the m1 carbine projectiles?

Quote Originally Posted by omark View Post
    Just wondering what sort of load you use with the m1 carbine projectiles?
    I used Unique then AP70 using the same loads [about 8 grains] and now use trailboss.I use 2206 behind the Rem SP,s.I use 25 grains which is a light load but check your ADI charts before committing to using this data. I use these projectiles in the 308 at similar velocities and find they work well.

Forgot to add these are just plated soft lead so are treated like cast bullets
    Micky Duck likes this.