Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Leaver action black magic/ dark arts

Quote Originally Posted by omark View Post
    Just wondering what sort of load you use with the m1 carbine projectiles?
    In the past I have used 36 grains of 4064 with the Sierra 110 gun rn carbine bullet. You need to use the Lee factory crimp die as there no cannelure. They were quick light recoicing and pretty effective.

Thanks
    I’ve been using unique but might back it off a little
    Cheers

I would if I were you!.
    I didn't think that it was useable with jacketed bullets, it's just about the perfect powder for cast bullets

Medium crimp seems to yield better results than mild. I use a Lee M die and i nudge it till I get a minors mark from the gaps in the collet.

Quote Originally Posted by T.FOYE View Post
    Medium crimp seems to yield better results than mild. I use a Lee M die and i nudge it till I get a minors mark from the gaps in the collet.
    Thanks, i think this will be a culmination of trying differing amounts of crimp, then an appropriate ADI powder!

Quote Originally Posted by Tertle View Post
    Ive started my first ever foray into loading for my fathers 30/30 marlin leaver action, going to be honest I sort of like it and I can see the functionality of it……and that’s about it, the rest is challenging, he is after some leverevolotion but it’s in the wrong island. He purchased a stack of 170gr nosler partition projectiles

I’m unsure just how much crimp is best? Also using a powder that is readily available, ive a bit of 2206h 2208 BM1 h4831 and a small amount of h335. I did a test load tonight on a 2206h recipe and man slightly disappointing but im taking that down to running in a new barrel. But again that could also be poor crimp application?

Are there any good powders readily available, preferably in the adi range for the 170gr range

And any other tips greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Have consicdered using Cast bullets the 30/30 is one of the perfect cartridges for cast bullets can easily shoot them at close to the velocity of jacketed bullets at half the price,
    The one I sell is a copy of the Lyman 311041 it weighs 180 grains, It is listed on Trade Me, If you want to try some I am happy to send you some as a sample.
    Micky Duck and ebee like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    Have consicdered using Cast bullets the 30/30 is one of the perfect cartridges for cast bullets can easily shoot them at close to the velocity of jacketed bullets at half the price,
    The one I sell is a copy of the Lyman 311041 it weighs 180 grains, It is listed on Trade Me, If you want to try some I am happy to send you some as a sample.
    If it were mine I’d be in like Flynn, but dad is adamant it’s nosler ballistic tips……… god forbid I mention lead cast! I’m just heading to the man cave to do some tinkering ive a sneaking suspicion I may have that mould….. im almost tempted to get a lever action myself and have a play in this sandbox myself, and trust me she would be a cast load rifle as you are right the 30-30 would be an ideal rifle for it!
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tertle View Post
    If it were mine I’d be in like Flynn, but dad is adamant it’s nosler ballistic tips……… god forbid I mention lead cast! I’m just heading to the man cave to do some tinkering ive a sneaking suspicion I may have that mould….. im almost tempted to get a lever action myself and have a play in this sandbox myself, and trust me she would be a cast load rifle as you are right the 30-30 would be an ideal rifle for it!
    Tell the ol man that his barrel will last forever shooting cast bullets.
    Tertle, Micky Duck and ebee like this.

I recently got some of Robs 180 gr cast bullets for the 30-30 and was looking into some loads but having trouble getting info on cast loads that would get speeds more around 1500-1600 fps maybe. I have played a bit with the 151 gr cast bullets but only for subs and would also like to get them going a bit faster. Is there a particular manual that would be good for this or any loads that anyone could suggest as a good starting point for these? I have a reasonable selection of the adi powders. I’ve got the aid manual but can’t see much for 30-30 cast especially at the heavier weights and slower speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by ebee View Post
    I recently got some of Robs 180 gr cast bullets for the 30-30 and was looking into some loads but having trouble getting info on cast loads that would get speeds more around 1500-1600 fps maybe. I have played a bit with the 151 gr cast bullets but only for subs and would also like to get them going a bit faster. Is there a particular manual that would be good for this or any loads that anyone could suggest as a good starting point for these? I have a reasonable selection of the adi powders. I’ve got the aid manual but can’t see much for 30-30 cast especially at the heavier weights and slower speeds.

Try ADI cowboy loads for data although I like faster powders.Hodgens have similar data on there site.
    Data – Single Action Rifle – ADI World Class Powders and Ammunition
    ebee likes this.

adi 2nd edition manual
    150grn lead projectile
    ar2205--15grns---1600fps
    ar2207--17grns----1550fps
    ar2206---21grns---1600fps
    Tommy and ebee like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Lever guns are a passion of mine so started looking through my bookmarks and revisited this site.
    Always worth a browse.American powders but they duplicate many ADI powders.Just reread the 32/20 article.
    https://www.leverguns.com/articles/t...del94_3030.htm

Quote Originally Posted by ebee View Post
    Any of the Lyman reloading manuals will have load data for this bullet, the beauty with cast in a 30/30 is that you can use the jacketed data starting loads
    just work the load up as normal look for accuracy not velocity the rifle will tell you when to stop lead fouling starts just after the accuracy drops off,
    With these bullets is at about 1800 fps, I have not had a chance to do any testing myself; but one of my customers says that 1800 fps is an accurate velocity,
    I would use 2206H and any faster powder 2207 and 2205 are very good cast powders I use Alliant 2400, Check the Listing on TM there is photo from the Lyman manual
    with load data,
    Or tell me what powder you have and I will look up some loads.
    Cheers
    Tertle and ebee like this.

lol I just saw your listing and contemplated copy n paste of the photo....
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    Any of the Lyman reloading manuals will have load data for this bullet, the beauty with cast in a 30/30 is that you can use the jacketed data starting loads
    just work the load up as normal look for accuracy not velocity the rifle will tell you when to stop lead fouling starts just after the accuracy drops off,
    With these bullets is at about 1800 fps, I have not had a chance to do any testing myself; but one of my customers says that 1800 fps is an accurate velocity,
    I would use 2206H and any faster powder 2207 and 2205 are very good cast powders I use Alliant 2400, Check the Listing on TM there is photo from the Lyman manual
    with load data,
    Or tell me what powder you have and I will look up some loads.
    Cheers
    33 grains of Leverevolution gave me just over 1800fps with both 125 and 150gr jacketed bullets in my M94 Trapper (16" barrel)