Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: 223 loading and trip to the range

223 loading and trip to the range

Hi folks, I headed to the range to try a few different projectiles I had loaded up with what info I got off the forum from you good blokes and another couple who private messaged me with good advice.

I certainly don't rate myself much as a range shooter however I have had good success hunting so my results could well be shooter error but I did manage a couple of groups worthy of replicating to try some more.

All groups were shot at 100 meters.

First up a 5 shot group using 64gr sierra game changers, 25gr AR2206H, cci 450 primers and virgin Lapua brass.
    I had a flyer to start but the next 4 shots were under an inch.
    Name:  20220828_122548.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  2.46 MB
    Name:  20220828_122525.jpg
Views: 503
Size:  2.25 MB

Next up was 73gr hornady ELDM's with 24gr of AR2206H, cci 450 primers and once fired Lapua brass. Three shot group just over an inch but as I say it could be a bit of shooter error.

Name:  20220828_122423.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  2.34 MB

And finally 62gr hornady SP, 25.5gr AR2206H, cci 450 primers and once fired Lapua brass. These are the same projectiles that I had great success on deer with factory hornady whitetail ammo which shot .80 of an inch factory.
    I tried to replicate the load with exact measurements and took a stab at 2 different powder weights 25gr and 25.5gr with this target being the later.

Name:  20220828_122259.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  2.30 MB

As you can see very pleasing result. I'm not sure how to correctly measure but I measured middle of the hole, if you measure outside hole it's still under half inch which I'm happy with at 100 meters.

The 80gr ELDM's shot like shit, anyway a bit of a mixed day but think the shooter may have had something to do with the not so good groups.

Cheers Adam
    When hunting think safety first

Nice. Reloaders Supplies have those 62 grn Hornady in bulk. $30/100 I think.
    They will do the business for you. I would be very happy at that.
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Nice. Reloaders Supplies have those 62 grn Hornady in bulk. $30/100 I think.
    They will do the business for you. I would be very happy at that.
    Thanks @Tahr, I bought 500 for around $150 from gunworks so I fluked that
    Tahr and Micky Duck like this.

Good work on those 62gr SP's. You gotta try different powder charges before writing off the others.. See my last update on my 223 ES thread and the big variations in group sizes that just a couple tenths can make.

Those 80gr ELD-M's probably want a 1:7 twist!
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

Quote Originally Posted by Pommy View Post
    Good work on those 62gr SP's. You gotta try different powder charges before writing off the others.. See my last update on my 223 ES thread and the big variations in group sizes that just a couple tenths can make.

Those 80gr ELD-M's probably want a 1:7 twist!
    Thanks for that, I will check out your thread, I did read it but there may be some updates.

I am really happy with the SP's and stoaked at 6 round to find the load (total fluke).

I do think the 73gr ELDM's have plenty of merrit too and that's good advice to try tiny changes, thank you for that.

I can't get back to the range until after lambing so I will try some of those SP's on game in the mean time.

I also think you are right about the 80gr liking 1.7 twist, mine is 1.8 so I might look at trading the 80gr for 73gr or similar at some stage down the track.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mm Rem Mag View Post
    Thanks for that, I will check out your thread, I did read it but there may be some updates.

I am really happy with the SP's and stoaked at 6 round to find the load (total fluke).

I do think the 73gr ELDM's have plenty of merrit too and that's good advice to try tiny changes, thank you for that.

I can't get back to the range until after lambing so I will try some of those SP's on game in the mean time.

I also think you are right about the 80gr liking 1.7 twist, mine is 1.8 so I might look at trading the 80gr for 73gr or similar at some stage down the track.
    @gimps shoots them just fine from a 1:8
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    @gimps shoots them just fine from a 1:8
    You are correct, he is using AR2208 so I guess I could buy some when it comes back on the market however some other projectiles are showing more promise so I may just play around with them.

Thanks for the info though @Tahr

poke 3 of them blue tip loads into paper next time you are out too...be VERY surprised if they arent grouping just as good.... great to see you have a load sorted.
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    poke 3 of them blue tip loads into paper next time you are out too...be VERY surprised if they arent grouping just as good.... great to see you have a load sorted.
    Thanks MD, you know its been so long since I have been out I clean forgot all about those missiles you gave me.

I will be sure to give them a go
    Micky Duck likes this.

1:8 twist shoots 80's ok but need to get them spinning with a decent charge. Heaps of options with 223, 69 & 77 tmk's seem easy to get to shoot well. Great hunting bullets just hard to find currently
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.

This is the 80g ELDM once adjusted i shot that 3 shot group with my 1-8 18" Tikka .223 and tried them on goats over the weekend.
    They are awesome on game shot a big Billy at 275 yards and he hit the deck and never moved.

Sent from my CPH2145 using Tapatalk
    Tahr and 7mm Rem Mag like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 25/08 IMP View Post
    This is the 80g ELDM once adjusted i shot that 3 shot group with my 1-8 18" Tikka .223 and tried them on goats over the weekend.
    They are awesome on game shot a big Billy at 275 yards and he hit the deck and never moved.

What powder? And how much? Thats awesome, well done

Quote Originally Posted by jackson21 View Post
    1:8 twist shoots 80's ok but need to get them spinning with a decent charge. Heaps of options with 223, 69 & 77 tmk's seem easy to get to shoot well. Great hunting bullets just hard to find currently
    Agree the 69gr TMK's showed real promise but have run out of them. I'm keen to try the 77gr TMK's when I can get my hands on some.
    WOPASS likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mm Rem Mag View Post
    What powder? And how much? Thats awesome, well done
    24.4 of 2206 but these are seated 20 thou off the lands so you need a modified mag

7mm Rem Mag likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 25/08 IMP View Post
    24.4 of 2206 but these are seated 20 thou off the lands so you need a modified mag

Thanks thats great info, I haven't measured my throat to see what distance my lands is.
    I wonder if there is anyone around Oamaru who knows what they are doing that could measure my 223 for me?