Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: .223 Reloading COST v Factory

Baz

.223 Reloading COST v Factory

I have been number crunching on reloading .223 for my AR15 for comps/training etc.

Thought id share my findings and see what others are reloading for $ per round.

Factory (one example) 1000rnds 223 Remington Ammunition (Belmont) 55gr FMJ 1000 Rounds $799 NZD (Reloader Supplies)

Cost / round $0.799
    Cost / 50 $39.95
    Cost / 1000 $799

Reloading calcs

2206H 4kg $489 (Reloader Supplies)
    25.5gr (from ADI manual)
    Murom Small Rifle Primers KVB-223 (qty 1000) $65 (Reloader Supplies)
    2266B 22cal 55gr SP W/C pack of 500 $126 (NZ sourced)
    Range brass (already collected) $0

Cost / round $0.519
    Cost / 50 $25.95
    Cost / 1000 $518.97

Worked out importing projectiles (Reloading International) Hornady 22 caliber 55 grain FMJ-BT w/c per 100 bulk [HRN2267B] $11.17 USD

Buy 2000 and get 13% discount (this 13% discount will cover the export permit cost, so I have not taken it off or added the import permit 10%) Freight $87.95 USD (total 311.35 USD = 367.92 NZD) (no GST) Cost per 100 prods = $18.40 NZD ($91.98 NZD per 500)

Adding, only the imported projectiles to the above hand load calc cost

Cost / round $0.451
    Cost / 50 $22.55
    Cost / 1000 $450.93

Other costs: (already own and run a XL650 and all associated reloading tools and equipment)

Dillon Precision (imported direct).223 caliber conversion kit, quick change tool head, case feed plate and Dillon dies ($20 USD shipping to YouShop) $ 311.80 USD = 368.45 NZD ($22 NZD from YouShop) = $390.45 (no GST)

Cost difference between factory and reloaded per 1000 rnds (with imported prods = $348.07 NZD) (NZ sourced prods = $280.03 NZD) both a saving

Cheers

If I have missed anything? feel free to let me know

Interested to see what cost figures others are getting.

R93
    I was gifted bulk projectiles, use lake city brass which fell off a truck and only pay for powder or when I use a different bullet. So loading .223 is cheaper than rimfire ammo for me.
    If you had to source all components it should still work out cheaper than factory unless you put a cost on your time.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Baz and PERRISCICABA like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

If you had to buy all the loading gear to get started, how long would it take before the lower cost of reloads balanced it out?

Not having to sport a brass catcher or getting all puckered up trying to find brass in the grass must be worth something.

should be able to get powder cheaper than that.

Wilhelm arms is $54 per 500gram.

Interesting calculations
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chupacabra View Post
    Not having to sport a brass catcher or getting all puckered up trying to find brass in the grass must be worth something.
    Could factor in buying brass. Its usually around that $20 per 100.

Say if you pick up 50% of you're brass you can add another 10cents onto ammo price per round

Reloads are cheapest if you can get the components at a good price. Keep your eyes peeled.
    Brass. $0.10 cents each off trade me some time back. Bought a sack of 3000. Some bulk brass being sold currently on Trade me, not quite as cheap as it has been.

10 pounds of H335 bought off acquaintance through trade me a year ago at $44 per pound. 25 grains per load so $0.16 cents each. Nearly out so on the lookout for more.

Projectiles. 55 gain CMJ projectile at $0.135 each. The CMJ projectiles are accurate and perfect for plinking and service rifle.

Primers. CCI small rifle, bought 25K some time back when on special off Richard at Serious Shooters. $0.060 each.
    The prices for primers is now returning to normal. Was crazy for awhile there.

Total for first shot is $0.455 each.
    Following shots re-using brass is $0.355 each.

Buy in bulk when prices are OK and use when the prices or availability is poor.

600 odd bucks per 1000 for steel cased Hornady and no time wasted loading and picking up cases
    BRADS, steven and Beetroot like this.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    600 odd bucks per 1000 for steel cased Hornady and no time wasted loading and picking up cases
    that with a SP projectile or FMJ?

If i could get 1000 for that price and it had a SP i would for sure... but availability..

Most of the ranges I shoot at, its mandatory to pick up your cases especially the steel ones which quickly go rusty.
    Reloading them is a hobby in itself.

P38
    Believe me .... Reloading won't save you money in the long run.

Sure the cost per round might work out cheaper than factory, and the cartridge will be tailor made to your specifications, but my experience is you'll use that as an excuse to just shoot more and buy more reloading gear.

Which in it's self is not a bad thing.

A man could spend his money on a lot worse things that's for sure.

Cheers
    Pete
    veitnamcam and Baz like this.

I have just started reloading , just did my first 50 to take to the range and chrony .... or just hope it goes bang ..... I really enjoyed setting it up and making bullets , was kinda cool with a progressive press to see a finished bullet fall into the catch at the end ......cant wait to start casting my own as well ...
    this is my only hobby , so no wasted time ....just time well spent
    Savage1, gadgetman and ishoot10s like this.
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    I have just started reloading , just did my first 50 to take to the range and chrony .... or just hope it goes bang ..... I really enjoyed setting it up and making bullets , was kinda cool with a progressive press to see a finished bullet fall into the catch at the end ......cant wait to start casting my own as well ...
    this is my only hobby , so no wasted time ....just time well spent
    Christ, wish I had only 1 hobby. I have a few and they all involve expensive gear. Firearms is the newest and proving to be the most expensive too....

Reloading will be cheaper per round, and you will likely (if you do your part) end up with more consistent ammo, tailered to your specific rifle and use. I dont know about you but I like the idea of maximising the potential of my rifle and the process involved in that more than I like saving a few bucks per range outing. This is where the value in reloading lies for me.
    steven and PERRISCICABA like this.

The other advantage of reloading is knowing what you are shooting.
    With care you can create rounds more precisely matched to your rifle and with less variation between rounds.
    This can help with competition target shooting as you can remove some of the variability and increase repeatability.
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

Baz
    Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
    Believe me .... Reloading won't save you money in the long run.

Sure the cost per round might work out cheaper than factory, and the cartridge will be tailor made to your specifications, but my experience is you'll use that as an excuse to just shoot more and buy more reloading gear.

Which in it's self is not a bad thing.

A man could spend his money on a lot worse things that's for sure.

Cheers
    Pete
    Quite right there Pete, just remember that the reloading gear has a lifetime of use, and the next generation to. That makes it priceless IMO