Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: .223 Subsonic

.223 Subsonic

Hi guys, Newbie here. I am looking to reload 223 subsonic. I have bullets from55 to 75 grain. Titegroup and AP70 powder. Anyone with any info on where to start. I have titegroup loads for 77gr 64gr and 55gr

AR7
    Hi Bob
    Belmont Wanganui do make subsonic .223 ammo from time to time
    i pulled one apart 55 grain projectile x 4.10 grain Trail Boss powder
    what twist rate is your barrel as this will indicate how heavy your pill will be
    and if your look with in this forum pages this topic has been covered with good info
    Do you intend to hunt with these or is it just plinking fun
    cheers to all

Everyone says Trail Boss. But it is easier to find hens teeth now. From what I have read the Winchester XPR in 223 is 1 in 8 twist. Just hunting bunnies but am finding my .22 subs not keeping them down(shooter error). Lots of adapting post stroke. left trigger right eye and right hand support on a monopod. also cheek weld not consistent. I KNOW everything wrong but I HAVE to do something!!!

Practice more with the .22lr more before hunting with it is the answer. Bunnies should be dead on the spot with it. Poor shot placement with a .223 sub won't perform much better, quite likely worse as the projectiles won't expand very well at subsonic speeds whereas the .22lr projectiles will.

You are using hollow point .22lr ammo I assume?
    woods223, techno retard and blip like this.

Don't think you'll do any better with a sub 223 and jacketed projectiles which won't expand on impact compared to a soft lump of lead with a hollow point. Practice with the 22 will I think be better.
    Micky Duck, woods223 and blip like this.

AR7
    I have tried powders Lilgun ,WSF ,AS50N ,, AR 2205 my barrel twist 1: 8 twist and a short bolt action
    projectiles range from 45grain HP BEE to 69 grain HTBT
    T/Boss is just easy as it fills the case better but one needs to be carful of other powders re double charges // or flash over as there is not enough powder against the primer . Heaver projectile are usually used for subsonic as they have more mass
    All good fun but just be careful
    cheers
    Micky Duck and Hugh Shields like this.

Thanx will do. Yes using hollow subs. May need a better scope. Notice we blame everything else before ourself!!
    Sharki likes this.

If u were in SI could spend a day om range with u m8
    The solution ain't the ammo or gun
    U need to be shown basics and have someone coach u, 2 hrs and then regular practice
    223 sub will be worse than 22lr sub
    Harder bullet won't expand , smaller wound channel , bunny runs longer
    Sure if u ask someone in NI will help out
    woods223 likes this.

Anywhere in the head will put them down

Lead pill, whatever you can get 45-50gr or so. Batch weigh the pills to weed out anything weirdly off spec...

As said, trailboss but that's about a year away so next best is Red Dot or similar for bulk (about 70% of TB). You can still double charge with RD but it's more obvious. Be aware such fast powders are dangerous but not like normal rifle loads - the pressure curve is so step you can take the action quickly past safe peak pressure by overcharging with too much powder it burns that quickly. It's very hard to undercharge and cause powder charge related low pressure problems, but you can end up with a pill stuck in the barrel. Do research and you'll find a reasonable amount of info on RD. Bigger cases have a thing called "the Load" for red dot - 13gr of RD powder with a normal-weight pill in a medioum case like a .308 if I recall.

I THINK one of my problems is inconsistent cheek weld as I have no feeling in my right side. Even sighting in with a lazer bore sighter I notice a movement. I am VERY mechanically minded and am trying to think of something to give me the same sight picture every time. The next problem is 3 guns to fit it to. Other idea was a lazer sight and just use the scope to check the position of the lazer dot

Practice putting the rifle to your shoulder with eyes closed, then open them and check your alignment with the sights adjust if needed and repeat, repeat, repeat. If using a scope be aware that unless it has parallax adjustment at short ranges moving your head even slightly will shift the cross hairs on a target.
    Micky Duck and Finnwolf like this.

Yes I try but with no feeling it is almost impossible to get consistency. Will try a laser sight

Hello BOBNZ, A couple of thoughts:
    A fella who I know that lives on a lifestyle block has a similar problem to you, in that he cannot shoulder a rifle. He bought a red dot laser and shoots rabbits at 10 - 50 metre quite effectively without shouldering the rifle.
    Second thought, another mate (who is able bodied) purchased a super light, carbon fibre tri-pod off of AliExpress for next to nothing. It's a camera tripod. He then purchased a U fitting which screws onto the top of the tripod and is effective shooting off of that. In his case the purchase was necessitated due to the knee high hay grass making it impossible to shoot off a bi-pod, prone. It works well and might remove some of your mechanical challenges.
    Third thought is, 12 gauge shotgun off the hip!!! That removes a lot of the mechanics and guess work! I use my pump gun only about 2% of the time, but for a bit of comic relief try taping a NITECORE MH12S 1800 lumens 1" tube, mounted in an OLIGHHT X-WM03 magnetic bracket, onto the front end of a 12 gauge pump, then MOVE as fast as possible over undulating ground. Every time you come over a rise or round a bush its BOOM, BOOM, BOOM! GREAT FUN! I tape it on with 50mm PVC tape even though the advertising says the magnet will hold on a 12 gauge because one night the magnet let go and the torch went flying! I couldn't find it in the dark, but went back the next day and found it at arms length down a rabbit hole! Rabbit's revenge! (PS: I don't shoot of the hip! I'm not Clint Eastwood or a Cowboy!)

Well add a laser ( preferably green ) on pump shottie. No rabbit will survive , also a good home theft deterrant