Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By grandpamac
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By grandpamac

Thread: .224 Projectiles ID Availability BC

.224 Projectiles ID Availability BC

Name:  20240107_091702.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  2.03 MB

In the go round I have acquired a few .224 projectiles which I need assistance identifying, sourcing and finding out the ballistic coefficient of. I'm loading 22 Hornet with a deliberately light load of 10grn ADI AR2207.

Clockwise
    Photo 1: 40grn HP Cannalure Flat base length varies from .503 to .506. I'm finding these particularly good on bunnies. The expand well, punch a good hole, kill well, without unzipping the rabbit from its arse to its elbow. I would like to buy more of these if you have some in your bottom draw.... Australian shooters might be able to point me towards a supplier on that side of the ditch. I recall both Winchester and Norma put out a factory load, hollow point like this, but I'm just after the projectiles.

Photo 2: 40grn SP (Soft Point? Or Semi Point??) Flat base. Length .500 - .503 I've just just noticed some have a bigger lead tip than others, they measure .520

Photo 3: 45grn SP (Soft Point? Or Semi Point??) Flat base. Length .566. Labeled. 223 Speer (1011) but there is no 1011 in the Speer Handloading Manual??? Old model perhaps or incorrect label?

Photo 4: 45grn SP (Soft Point? Or Semi Point??) Flat base. Length .600 - .700. These have the word "Super" but no Brand or BC?

Greetings,
    Once the projectiles are tipped out of their boxes a lot of information is lost. The best thing you can do is sort by weight and appearance. I can see in photo 4 that some projectiles are clearly longer and likely heavier than others. I was recently sorting some .303 and .30 calibre projectiles. This box was .30 calibre 150 grain. I tip them out into a tray and line them up so I can easily compare them. Together there were around 40 that looked exactly the same plus two that didn't. One had no cannelure and was likely a Speer. The last had the cannelure in a slightly different position. Measurement showed that this one was .303 calibre. You can't be too careful.
    As far as BC goes most 45 grain o.17 is likely an average.
    Super was an Aussie brand of projectiles many years ago. I have loaded them in .22 calibre, 50 and 55 grain and they shot quite well but the weights varied from that posted on the box. Bluntish projectiles by modern standards.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Years ago I brought some projectiles form Wilhelm Hunting and Optics. They appear the same as your number 1 photo. He had them in a bulk 20 litre drum and and brought them buy weight rather than a quantity. They were cheap and preformed well. It could be worth contacting him. Richard Wilhelm. I think he shut down the shop a few years ago but I have seen him advertise stuff on trademe i think. He used to also run online sales from is home .
    Cheers Shane
    " 60% of the time it works. 80% of the time it doesn't. " BRIAN FM

#1 appear to be the bulk 22 magnum projectile we USED to be able to buy...havent seen them available for years.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Greetings again,
    The Speer 1011 is the .223 dia projectile, 45 grain, intended for the older Hornets with .223 groove. Found this in the 1979 Shooters Bible BC is 0.169.
    GPM.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Thanks Grandpamac, there is a lot good advice there, which I will follow to the letter. You are right there are one or two variants mixed together. Proceed with caution.
    I imagine SUPER no longer exists?
    Cheers,
    Hugh

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings again,
    The Speer 1011 is the .223 dia projectile, 45 grain, intended for the older Hornets with .223 groove. Found this in the 1979 Shooters Bible BC is 0.169.
    GPM.
    Thanks again for the detailed investigation.
    Cheers,
    Hugh

Quote Originally Posted by sjjs View Post
    Years ago I brought some projectiles form Wilhelm Hunting and Optics. They appear the same as your number 1 photo. He had them in a bulk 20 litre drum and and brought them buy weight rather than a quantity. They were cheap and preformed well. It could be worth contacting him. Richard Wilhelm. I think he shut down the shop a few years ago but I have seen him advertise stuff on trademe i think. He used to also run online sales from is home .
    Cheers Shane

Thanks SJJS, that is a really detailed response. I'll see if I can track him down.
    Does anyone know, or have contact details for Richard Wilham?
    Cheers,
    Hugh

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    #1 appear to be the bulk 22 magnum projectile we USED to be able to buy...havent seen them available for years.
    Gidday Micky Duck, yeah I thought they were pretty old. Do you reckon they are Winchester brand?
    Cheers Hugh

possibly..although the few that Ted sent me looked similar the slight brown colour of coating on lead tips didnt make me think of winchester ones...the BC should be rather academic between them all the same.... they all fly like a brick. short n fat one and all
    Hugh Shields likes this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Shields View Post
    Thanks Grandpamac, there is a lot good advice there, which I will follow to the letter. You are right there are one or two variants mixed together. Proceed with caution.
    I imagine SUPER no longer exists?
    Cheers,
    Hugh
    Super went out of business in the early 1980's and the assets were purchased by Bruce Bertram of Bertram Bullets.
    Hugh Shields likes this.