Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rambo-6mmrem
  • 1 Post By rambo-6mmrem

Thread: .270 and .223

.270 and .223

Hey guys I'm starting to learn how to reload my own rounds and have done a first bunch of .224 Hornady v-max 55gr just because my scope is set up for that type of ammo. I was thinking of just sticking with the brand and getting .270 sst projectiles and loading a bunch of them too.

Does anyone have a load in these types that work really well for them? Or goods and bads? I'm shooting a tikka t3 .270 and ar .223

Thanks

Hi anderset20

I have been reloading the .223 Remington for a while now, at first it was for a bolt action Howa, and now for the AR-15, when I loaded the ammo for the Howa, it used to like the Nosler 55 grain Ballistic Tip Boat Tail, because that was what I found the barrel like, however since buying the AR-15 I have started to use the Hornady 55 grain Soft Point just because that was the cheapest projectile that I could get for the amount of ammo I am burning thru.

Each barrel will like different loads, it will take time to get loads down to 1/4 MOA or less (a friend of mine can do 8mm group over 3-5 shots at 100m using a 7mm Remington Mag yup that whole group was 1mm bigger that the projectiles!!)

My first question is what factory ammo do your like? then what is your barrel twist rate?

In my limited experience I think that it would be wise to get some sample packs and do some testing with the same batches of cases, powder, and primers. Write everything down from what your load data was thru to what your groups were, include anything you can think of even the range conditions as cold air is more dense to warm air.

Some data sheets you can use
    http://www.mytargets.com/ballistics%20log.pdf
    http://www.beartoothbullets.com/pdf/load_notes.pdf
    Reloading Data Sheet - AR15.COM

The 55gn vmax are good but the 53gn is lighter and also has a better bc so will shoot way flatter for shooting little pests i like adi powder normaly bm2 but we have been useing hodgen cfe223 in my mates sako 75var with the 53gn vmax with awsome results

There is no set in stone load that will work in a partular rifle eg me and a mate both have exactly the same 223 my load will shoot 0.5 inch or under all day my load in his gun shoots near 3 inches....Only way to find what your rifle likes is to spend time on the range load 5 round lots ie 5@ 20gn 5@21gn 5@22gn and so on and so forth from min to max in 0.5gn jumps and shoot each set of 5 into a group to see which load shoots best... remember it dosn't need to hit the center just a group when you know what load shoots best zero your gun for that load

Every load will shoot driffrent even if you use the same 55gn v-max for exaple so once you have decided on a load you will need to rezero your rifle
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

Well the one load I've put through my ar seemed really good. And my barrel is 1-9 I believe. So basically load a bunch of each calibre with slight changes to powder and see what works best? I'm not after a target rifle just something that works well consistently for hunting

yep this is real bench mark 2 data so feel free to use it

min is 21gn max being 23.4gn so id load up 5 if each

21gn
    21.5gn
    22gn
    22.5gn
    23gn
    23.4gn

and shoot a group with each letting the barrel cool between groups for consistency keeping an eye out for pressure signs

the 60gn v max goes very well in a friends RRA 1:9 twist ar15 might be worth a go
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

I have both 270 t3 and Ar
    270 I use ADI 2209 with 130 SST, 135 HPBT, 140 SST
    223 I use ADI 2206H with 69gr HPBT and 55gr SP

Check ADI load data here:
    http://www.adi-powders.com.au/handloaders/rifle.asp

I have found plastic tipped bullets in an AR wont fit in a mag easily unless seated quite deep - hollow points or soft points are better, Of course if they shoot ok and fit ok then no worries. I did try 53gr Vmax and they shot very well.
    Being over gunned is under rated.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Vapour2209

AR in 223 I use BM2, started my loads based on the Nosler load data from their site, my loads don't seem to affect my grouping much but have had more difference from different seating depth. Seems that the further out are batter. Currently sit at 2.22 OAL and about 24gr BM2

Awesome half of this means zero to me but I'll get my mate to help translate to me. Thanks guys appreciate the help

Quote Originally Posted by anderset20 View Post
    Awesome half of this means zero to me but I'll get my mate to help translate to me. Thanks guys appreciate the help
    Hi @anderset20,
    I have had A LOT of help in this forum and I will try to clarify few points to you if I can.
    First of all, please let me know where you live so I may be keen to catch up if possible, I live in Queenstown area. Now, first thing I did when I start to shoot is, join a Deer Stalks Club in my area so I could learn as much was possible about hunting and shooting. In my very second meeting I was fortunately to have a GREAT person who got me "under his wings" and look after me and teach me how to reload my ammo and shoot with more accuracy and consistency.
    Now, about your reloads, pretty much all the information you have received in here are the great value, these people writing to you know what they are doing/talk. I completely understand your "misunderstand" regards all the things "we" talk in this thread, but I can assure you, if you find someone who can share a little BBQ and some time WITH YOU teaching and explaining to you all of these "funny things" we talk here you will "fly high" in your skills and acknowledge.
    Every reloader shooter has a preference for his ammo gear, such as projectiles, powder, brass, primers, etc. Normaly every rifle is different, even those rifles with serial numbers in sequence, they normally will shoot the "sub MOA" accuracy advertised with factory ammo but, as you start your own loads it will show you that different gear setups/match will give you different accuracy and velocities and etc.

So, as I start to write a little book, I will resume, get all the info you got here and file/archive it, join a shooting club or a deer Stalkers branch and hook up with those people who do reload their ammo, "get" all the information and experience they can offer to you, respect all the safety rules and you will have a long and happy reloading life.

All the best and drop me a pm if you want some more especific info.

In time, I do reload for my Tikka .223 and 7mm Mag.