Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

rounds too long for my mag!

Hi there

Im after some advice/help
    I have a Remington 700 .260 SA hinged floorplate (newly converted from .243) and the rounds that im making don't quite fit in the magazine.

Has anyone modified one of these mags to accept longer rounds, not sure if this is an easy home fix or a take it to the gun smith job.

cheers

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Put a Wyatts extended mag box in it or kick the idiot in the arse that throated it longer than the mag allows..

Yea Im going to have to seat the projectiles further back and hope that I find a sweet spot, I will try that first I think

Bugger! How far off will you end up being?

to fit them in the Hinged mag Ive seated them back 0.035" - 0.040" back from the lands, which isn't bad really, I just would have liked to have started at .010 or .020 back and adjusted from there but there's no easy way around it.
    Im using 140gr AMax projectiles which using the hornady OAL and comparator set up reads... (incl comparator Body ect) 3.280", but only 3.245" fits... JUST.

so the Max length end to end is 2.850" seated at this depth (3.245"), .260rem standard is 2.800"

hopefully it shoots great at this depth, as I got the action trued at the same time as having it re-chambered with the new barrel.

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Who chambered it?
    My 308 with factory barrel and aftermarket chassis mags, jumps over 6mm... Shoots 1/4" most of the time
    I'd bring it back further and give yourself some breathing space in the mag well.