Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: 270 not liking ELD-X. What should I try?

270 not liking ELD-X. What should I try?

I haven't had any luck getting my .270 Win to shoot the ELD-Xs well, in spite of hearing good things about them from a number of sources. Best accuracy was a 40mm group at 235m but that was at the starting load, and the groups opened up to 100mm and I hit pressure signs before getting to decent velocity.

After re-checking the max. seating depth, I figured I could reduce the jump by a fair bit. It didn't help accuracy, and if anything made the pressure worse.

Rifle is a Remington 700 SPS, 24" suppressed barrel. I'm using AR2213SC powder.

130 gr Berger VLDs went okay, but were also getting pressure signs at useful velocities (I'm looking to develop a 300m+ hunting load, so a light projectile would need to be humming). The 140 grain SSTs seem to give me a serviceable mix of accuracy & speed (2950fps, 70mm groups at 235m) but I really hoped the higher BC of the ELD-Xs would deliver better.

I'm wondering if I should try a slower-burning powder, play around with the seating depth some more or give up and try another projectile. I was also going up in 1 grain increments, so could try smaller increments in case there's a node somewhere in between.

Cheers guys - I'm still pretty new at this, so please excuse any rookie misunderstandings.

That's supprising, I go up in .5gn increments and my go to 145gn eldx load for 270win is doing 2930fps and easily prints cloverleaf groups all day at 100 yards, I have shot it out to 450 yards on a decent red spiker (bang flop) and out past 600 yards on steel.
    I'm loading 58gn of 2213sc to get that and no pressure signs.
    mopheadrob likes this.

270 not liking ELD-X. What should I try?

First step will be to try in smaller increments as you are correct that 1 grain increments are too big and you have probably missed the node.
    Try .5 at a time and fine tune further in .1 after you are close to the node.

And don’t get too caught up on speeds as even those starting loads will kill cleanly out to around 500m as long as the accuracy is there.
    Moa Hunter, dannyb and mopheadrob like this.

right ho..you asked so I will answer.
    first off to qualify...Im a bush hobbit at heart.owned and used a .270 for 30 years seldom shoot past 200yards but have now shot 4 deer at 300-350yards in last 5 years.
    40mm at 235m IS plurry fine shooting thats still well and truely dead dear at 400yards.
    2213 is a good powder.
    150grn partitions are and have always been awesome projectiles FOR KILLING DEER,they dont have the sleak BC of new fancy projectiles BUT THEY ARE STILL THE SAME as they always were. I got given a box of bog standard 140grn hornady interlocts..they shoot straight and kill deer.
    chuck the chronicgraph away.....YOU DONT NEED IT. the 270 made its name before rangefinders were common.sight her in 3" high at hundy hold dead onto 270 yards,backbone hold at 350.... easy numbers to remember.
    why do I say get rid of chronicgraph...because a very wise man once said "many a good load has been ruined by a chronograph"....meaning if a load shoots straight you will stand better chance of killing deer dead with well plaed shot than with a super fast one thats not as accurate...sure the ultimate is both accurate and fast...but the extra 50fps might not be worth the hassle.
    tetawa, dannyb, mopheadrob and 1 others like this.

Agree 40mm at 235 meters is plenty good, something else to keep an eye on with eldx is copper fouling, in my sako a7 they were pretty bad for it but then again 100 rounds probably does require a bit of maintainence.
    What kind of speed are you getting ? Eldx work in quite a broad range of speeds from about 1800-2600fps or greater from memory, as long as you have something around that at the range you want to shoot you can adjust your drop charts to suit.
    I'm pretty new to reloading and I work off the theory find pressure then make sure your at least 1gn below that (wherever you get best accuracy) for a safe load.
    Another thing is your case prep up to scratch ? Brass sized properly, length trimmed, neck chamfered etc ?
    Good consistent cases give good consistent data.
    No digs at all just trying to help
    Last edited by dannyb; 16-08-2019 at 11:48 PM.
    Micky Duck likes this.

sneakywaza I got
    The 130 Sierra Prohunter is not overly sensitive to seating depth and 60 grains 2213 is nearly sure to be on the money to get around 3100 and moa or better.
    Cheap, and kilsl proper dead, as does it's direct equivalent the 130gn Speer Hot cor

Worth noting that moa at 400yds is 2" from your aim point on the animal, and if you ignore it's supposedly poor bc, you will find you can kill deer with the bullet rather than scaring it to death with high bc numbers
    mikee, Micky Duck and mopheadrob like this.

Link
    40mm ain't bad at that range. A lot of variables too that have caused me issues in the past trying to find the "perfect" load. Sorry if this sounds patronizing but are you letting the barrel cool properly between groups? I know with my tikka that will play havoc with accuracy after a few strings, especially with a suppressor on. Also if your scope isn't providing a solid point of aim at that range it may be better to bring it back to 100m for accuracy testing. This will also minimize any variations due to wind
    dannyb and mopheadrob like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Agree 40mm at 235 meters is plenty good, something else to keep an eye on with eldx is copper fouling, in my sako a7 they were pretty bad for it but then again 100 rounds probably does require a bit of maintainence.
    What kind of speed are you getting ? Eldx work in quite a broad range of speeds from about 1800-2600fps or greater from memory, as long as you have something around that at the range you want to shoot you can adjust your drop charts to suit.
    I'm pretty new to reloading and I work off the theory find pressure then make sure your at least 1gn below that (wherever you get best accuracy) for a safe load.
    Another thing is your case prep up to scratch ? Brass sized properly, length trimmed, neck chamfered etc ?
    Good consistent cases give good consistent data.
    No digs at all just trying to help
    Didn't chrony the 55 grain starting load, but got 2790 fps with 56 grains, 2850 with 57 and 2920 with 58, so I'm guessing around 2730 fps. Doubt it was copper fouling as I don't shoot enough and over-clean, if anything. I like to think my case prep is pretty good, but I'm still learning... only bump-sizing, not full length sizing and trimming / chamfering to 64.35mm. Thanks for the ideas, though...

Quote Originally Posted by Link View Post
    40mm ain't bad at that range. A lot of variables too that have caused me issues in the past trying to find the "perfect" load. Sorry if this sounds patronizing but are you letting the barrel cool properly between groups? I know with my tikka that will play havoc with accuracy after a few strings, especially with a suppressor on. Also if your scope isn't providing a solid point of aim at that range it may be better to bring it back to 100m for accuracy testing. This will also minimize any variations due to wind
    Yeah, I was letting the barrel cool, but I'm beginning to wonder if there was more variation in rest & shooter error than load... might need to do some more testing at 100m on a solid rest before going back out to 200m+
    dannyb likes this.

What load did you hit pressure ? As a side not I've never found eldx to be over sensitive to seating depth, in a sako a7 the mag length is way to short to seat them anywhere near the lands. Happy to help you shoot some loads if you want to eliminate the shooter aspect ?

Shoot without the supressor. Ladder Test. .3gn increments from book starting loads til you hit pressure signs

40mm at 235 is pretty much 1MOA, so on a factory rifle that's quite aceptable.
    24" should get you a bit more velocity though.
    Just to be sure, Torque your stock/action screws, make sure barrel is fully floated, get trigger pull as low as you are comfortable with.
    Moa Hunter and dannyb like this.

Another Calibre
    mikee, Gibo and Moa Hunter like this.
    It's all fun and games till Darthvader comes along
    I respect your beliefs but don't impose them on me.

Have you got a COAL gauge and do you know the max COAL (i.e. ogive touching lands)?

Use the marker pen on bullet method to try and determine it if you haven't got a gauge or can't borrow one. @dannyb did this and he's not far away from you?

I ask this just to make sure you can seat the bullet in the right "zone", so that you're neither too close or in the lands, nor too far away.

The ELD-X has quite a thick jacket on the bearing surface so when it gets shoved into the lands, it takes more push for the lands to bite into the jacket than some other bullets. So it can spike pressure earlier than you might expect, especially if its only 5 or 10 thou away from touching, or actually touching already.

As for 40mm at 235m, mate that's showing you there's nowt wrong with the rifle, so others have suggested, start the ladder again at a middling powder weight, a grain or more below where you got pressure, and go up in 0.2gr increments. Find the loads where the velocity graph flattens, pick the middle weight, and start to alter seating depth from there. "Should" see you come right.

What pressure signs did you get exactly?

As mentioned above, you really don't need to push these 145gr bullets at light speed, as long as you are within the ~2000-2400fps window when the bullet hits, you'll be fine. That's about a 500m bullet / load and that's plenty to be getting on with.
    Moa Hunter and dannyb like this.
    Just...say...the...word

What's the typical heart lung area size on a mature deer?

I'd say that anything you can put into 40 mm @235m will handily bowl deer as far as you can usefully shoot.

Unless you're Carlos Hathcock or Simo Hayha.......

A4 paper or a 3ltr plastic milk jug......pretty much cover the vitals...if you can CONSISTANTLY hit a milk jug a deer is in big trouble at same range. a rabbit,not so much LOL.
    dannyb likes this.