Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: 270 not liking ELD-X. What should I try?

Another vote for pro hunters or super chap. Cheap but deadly. Went away from ballistic tips in my rifle and sussed the load accuracy wise before looking at speed .

TLB
    If it ends up not liking them the 150gr nosler long range accubonds are a good pill in 270. Tikka on this forum has shot a fair number of deer with them out to 800 odd metres from memory and I had a pretty good run with them to.
    If you don't plan on shooting more than 500 to 600 yards then the stock standard 130gr ssts or nosler ballistic tips work find. In the last year I had my 270 I think I shot 15 or so deer between 400 and 525 yards 130gr nosler ballistic tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    A4 paper or a 3ltr plastic milk jug......pretty much cover the vitals...if you can CONSISTANTLY hit a milk jug a deer is in big trouble at same range. a rabbit,not so much LOL.
    A rabbit is still in big trouble. Even a near miss with the 270 will kill the rabbit. Hit any part of the rabbit and it is game over.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Thanks again for the advice guys. I had tried a couple of methods to establish max. COAL @Flyblown... used a Hornady gauge first, but struggled to get a consistent reading. After the first set of loads were less than amazing, I used the marker pen / fired case method and got a more consistent reading around 0.9mm longer than the gauge had given. I figured I hadn’t been shoving it in firmly enough. Have been working to a 20 thou jump (no issues with mag length on a 700 LA @dannyb).

Yeah, I’d be happy with the 40mm group, but given I’m getting an extra 200 FPS with the 140 SSTs, I thought I could expect that accuracy at higher than starting loads...

Given the consensus seems to be that speed is overrated, I’ll have another go at the lower loads and see how accurate I can get it. I’ve loaded another set at 0.5 grain increments. It might be false economy, but I can’t bring myself to go to 0.2 / 0.3 until I know I’m close.

I’ve also split the difference with the jump, and sanded out the plastic factory stock to float the barrel - maybe I’m introducing too many variables, but I’m running out of powder and projectiles (not to mention wearing out my welcome at @Moa Hunter’s range &#128540!

Will let you know how I get on...
    Micky Duck, dannyb and mimms like this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mopheadrob View Post
    Thanks again for the advice guys. I had tried a couple of methods to establish max. COAL @Flyblown... used a Hornady gauge first, but struggled to get a consistent reading. After the first set of loads were less than amazing, I used the marker pen / fired case method and got a more consistent reading around 0.9mm longer than the gauge had given. I figured I hadn’t been shoving it in firmly enough. Have been working to a 20 thou jump (no issues with mag length on a 700 LA @dannyb).

Yeah, I’d be happy with the 40mm group, but given I’m getting an extra 200 FPS with the 140 SSTs, I thought I could expect that accuracy at higher than starting loads...

Given the consensus seems to be that speed is overrated, I’ll have another go at the lower loads and see how accurate I can get it. I’ve loaded another set at 0.5 grain increments. It might be false economy, but I can’t bring myself to go to 0.2 / 0.3 until I know I’m close.

I’ve also split the difference with the jump, and sanded out the plastic factory stock to float the barrel - maybe I’m introducing too many variables, but I’m running out of powder and projectiles (not to mention wearing out my welcome at @Moa Hunter’s range ��)!

Will let you know how I get on...
    Some of the problems are likely operator fault - shooting off a field rest for load development is not ideal. We need to put you on the bench and sandbags at 100. You are welcome anytime, but please don't attract any more fog

Some .270's just dont like heavy projo's i have had 3 and none of them shot 150's very well compared to 130's. As MD said the Nosler partition 150 is a very good killer / performer I have used that in short country a lot but wouldnt rate it for longer shots.
    mopheadrob likes this.

Ummmmmm. Use a different bullet. So saying that what is wrong with 40mm? Mine doesn't like them either but shoots 0.5 MOA with 130gn interlokts. Which is good cause they kill better anyway. I agree with Mickey Duck. My accurate load is only doing 3000fps. Any increase in velocity and they styart to open up. I haven't lost a moments sleep over it. That is plenty fast enough. Killing power (with acceptable accuracy) first, fine accuracy second and velocity a very distant third.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser308 View Post
    Ahhhh, the solution from @johnd - it's not the projectile in this case, its the caliber. Change that and you'll be sorted!
    No thats not what I said at all? Did I miss something or are you reading me wardsback
    Micky Duck likes this.

Walking my rifle
    I dont know why more people dont use 2217 in the 270. Its the best ADI powder for heavy bullets.

I can get a 150 (sgk,vld,ablr) all going just over 3000fps in my T3x which is in the 7mm rem mag ballpark almost. But i settled on 2900 for accuracy.

The ADI book data is very very conservative, work up a load until you see pressure and then go back a bit.

Also, you should go further away from the lands to reduce pressure, my 6.5 shoots ELDM at 3.7mm off the lands.

Im playing with the VLD now, i get just under 1moa at 1mm jump but im going to play around with the depth a bit as you do with VLD's. See the berger website for the reccomended process.

In saying that, even at 2700 the 150vld is a 500 yard deer load easily.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by NewbieZAR View Post
    I dont know why more people dont use 2217 in the 270. Its the best ADI powder for heavy bullets.

I can get a 150 (sgk,vld,ablr) all going just over 3000fps in my T3x which is in the 7mm rem mag ballpark almost. But i settled on 2900 for accuracy.

The ADI book data is very very conservative, work up a load until you see pressure and then go back a bit.

Also, you should go further away from the lands to reduce pressure, my 6.5 shoots ELDM at 3.7mm off the lands.

Im playing with the VLD now, i get just under 1moa at 1mm jump but im going to play around with the depth a bit as you do with VLD's. See the berger website for the reccomended process.

In saying that, even at 2700 the 150vld is a 500 yard deer load easily.
    I thought that Robs loads seemed overly long and said to myself 'Gee that rifle has a long throat'. If Rob used factory ammo the projectiles would be seated 4mm off the lands looking at the length of the reloads