Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By tac a1

Thread: .270 reloading

.270 reloading

Hi folks,

Stumpies and I have been on the press today reloading 270 shells for his sako.

Learnt a couple more lessons today.

1) Just because you f/l resize Norma cases does not mean that the die is set for Hornady cases.

2) Powder thrower doesnt want to adjust load size. No idea what's going on there, will have to have a look at it.

3) Lee balance scales are actually quite accurate. I've got a digital scale I check loads on too before tipping into brass.

4) Powder trickler is good. First time I've actually loaded using that particular model.

Weve done a range of powder weights for Mike to try with his rifle to see which one will replicate his choice of factory ammo which isn't available anymore.
    zimmer, Micky Duck, BSA270 and 2 others like this.

What is his factory ammo of choice?
    Warm Barrels!

1 shouldnt make difference...hornady primer pockets may however need light twirl with case mouth deburring tool to remove crimp...they seem to have done this for last 10 years in most loadings.
    2 powder throwers are dificult...mine are a hole inside a iceball valve...screwing in or out changes amount of capacity in that hole....
    4 yip pure gold,you can do same off side of spoon by tapping knuckle of thumb but yip super easy to use,mine waste a tiny bit of fine ball powder but awesome with stick.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by tac a1 View Post
    Hi folks,

Stumpies and I have been on the press today reloading 270 shells for his sako.

Learnt a couple more lessons today.

1) Just because you f/l resize Norma cases does not mean that the die is set for Hornady cases.

2) Powder thrower doesnt want to adjust load size. No idea what's going on there, will have to have a look at it.

3) Lee balance scales are actually quite accurate. I've got a digital scale I check loads on too before tipping into brass.

4) Powder trickler is good. First time I've actually loaded using that particular model.

Weve done a range of powder weights for Mike to try with his rifle to see which one will replicate his choice of factory ammo which isn't available anymore.
    Greetings,
    I assume in item one that the die had previously been adjusted to give an acceptable shoulder bump rather than hard down on the die. in this case the result will differ due to different hardness and spring back of the cases.
    That is the good thing about handloading, you never stop learning no matter how many years you have been at it. May this always be so.
    GPM.

Quote Originally Posted by 300_BLK View Post
    What is his factory ammo of choice?
    I think its Sako game head or something. 140 grn ballistic tip