Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: .284

I have a 7mm08 that I had Grant at True-Flite ream to .284 and shorten to 16"s, shoot very well 162gn at 2750fps and 140gnABonds at 2900fps both loads are at max with RL17. Could find another powder to come close and primer selection was also important, the 162gn load preferred CCI primers less pressure the 140gnABs didn't make much difference. Grant also sold us a old 6.5x55 Tikka barrel he wanted to get rid of, reamed to 6.5x284 16" barrel, this is starting to be my favorite combo 140gn A-max at 2750fps 130gnABs at 2800fps. All my loads were from Greg Duleys writeup he did in NZHUNTER.
    Shot it at 600yds a couple of weeks ago on steel managed 5 shot 4" group - rapped(haven't shot the .284 since load development as still waiting for shipment of the 162gnA-maxs). Shot my first deer with this combo last weekend.
    I have a DPT suppressor fitted to both barrels, after about 200rnds the first baffle is starting to erode quite badly the others looking like new. A new baffle to replace is only $45 to me not a issue really when you have such a light compact and accurate rifle. My next step is to maybe flute the barrel and bolt.

What powder are you using in your 6.5-284 as I have a Tikka the same with 20" barrel I want to use 130 grn ABs

RL17 tried 6 other powders nothing close in the 16" barrel wouldn't shoot any of the solid copper bullets either.

Thanks any idea on Vol with 130grn

What the F--K is a .284 yip?????????????????????????¿
    Gibo likes this.

No dies yet. Waiting, waiting, waiting.........

Quote Originally Posted by 260rem View Post
    What the F--K is a .284 yip?????????????????????????¿
    .283 + .001 = .284 ( i think so anyway)
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jasec View Post
    No dies yet. Waiting, waiting, waiting.........
    Fark you're slow.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Fark you're slow.
    Yeah, don't you know it. Mind you, with the amount of shit you have in your shed you most likely have a set of 284 dies sitting there.

Nah that other fella keeps me short on everything.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    Nah that other fella keeps me short on everything.
    Guard your stash of Amax's, Projectiles and Reloader 17.........

All gone @Ginga

Quote Originally Posted by 300MAG View Post
    I have a 7mm08 that I had Grant at True-Flite ream to .284 and shorten to 16"s, shoot very well 162gn at 2750fps and 140gnABonds at 2900fps both loads are at max with RL17. Could find another powder to come close and primer selection was also important, the 162gn load preferred CCI primers less pressure the 140gnABs didn't make much difference. Grant also sold us a old 6.5x55 Tikka barrel he wanted to get rid of, reamed to 6.5x284 16" barrel, this is starting to be my favorite combo 140gn A-max at 2750fps 130gnABs at 2800fps. All my loads were from Greg Duleys writeup he did in NZHUNTER.
    Shot it at 600yds a couple of weeks ago on steel managed 5 shot 4" group - rapped(haven't shot the .284 since load development as still waiting for shipment of the 162gnA-maxs). Shot my first deer with this combo last weekend.
    I have a DPT suppressor fitted to both barrels, after about 200rnds the first baffle is starting to erode quite badly the others looking like new. A new baffle to replace is only $45 to me not a issue really when you have such a light compact and accurate rifle. My next step is to maybe flute the barrel and bolt.
    I thought those dpt have a lifetime warranty?? Surely if the baffles are stuffed after only 200 rounds it should be replaced for free under warranty. No way should you have to pay to replace manufacturers faults. That's what warranty is for.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaimai Views View Post
    I thought those dpt have a lifetime warranty?? Surely if the baffles are stuffed after only 200 rounds it should be replaced for free under warranty. No way should you have to pay to replace manufacturers faults. That's what warranty is for.
    If you buy an alloy moderator, and use a medium capacity plus centre fire cartridge, you'll start eroding the first baffle from the first shot..

It aint something that a manufacturer can change. Insert some steel, titanium and it'll last longer. If you want 195gr cans, you pay the penalty..

It should last 500 rounds, before replacement of the module..

As I'm sure has been pointed out before, the problem with modular suppressors is you can take them apart.

All suppressors with alloy internals suffer from erosion.

The shorter the barrel (bush pig), the bigger the case, the more the pressure, the greater the heat, the lighter the suppressor, the worse it is.

If you can't take it apart & see it happening you can't get stressed about it.