Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree14Likes
  • 4 Post By Forestry
  • 1 Post By caberslash
  • 1 Post By Forestry
  • 2 Post By Forestry
  • 5 Post By Forestry
  • 1 Post By Forestry

Thread: 284 with RE16 and a few reloading lessons

284 with RE16 and a few reloading lessons

I had about 30 cases from my BSA 284 so I thought I might load up some 140 Ballistic Tips to try out in the Tikka 284. I would have tried RE16 with the 162 ELDX I know the Tikka likes but they are hard to get right now. The cases I had were only neck sized last time so I knew I would need to Full Length size them. I hadn’t used the Lee FL die before (as I have a Redding FL die also) so I wound it into the press, sprayed the cases with “one shot” and got stuck into loading.

Lesson 1 - should have chambered some empties at this stage

After priming and setting up the electronic scales I loaded up some at 55, 55.5, 56 and 56.5 of RE16. I had a break in between and had to reset the Hornady electronic scales. It kept losing zero and when I put the last loads on the tray and looked through levels using the torch they looked very full. I started from scratch with the scales and recalibrated and poured out a case - 58 grns instead of 56.5.......getting dangerous. I re-checked a few done before the break and they were spot on. I double checked one with beam scales also. Then I re-charged the last rounds again

Lesson 2 - check your cases visually to see if powder levels are consistent.

Then I set up the seating die to 79mm which is a bit off the max OAL of 79.5mm in the Tikka. The calipers show this die is +\- .05mm at best. Finally I thought I’d chamber a few rounds and more problems. About 1 in 3 were too tight to close the bolt........
    I tried them in the BSA to check and no problem so I assumed the Tikka had a tighter chamber. After some head scratching I pulled the bullets, put in the Redding FL die and screwed down an extra 1/2 turn then shimmed the shell holder to remove any slack. I used the Lee case lube and ran them through. Problem solved and shoulders pushed back enough to fit the Tikka easily but time wasted not checking.

I loaded up 6 also with Belmont 760 then time to shoot the next day.

The Chrono was checked accurate with the 7mm08 and i set up a target at 135yards. Funny distance but the forestry block i shoot in is pretty steep and that was the best place I had. I was using the gap between the mirror and pillar of the Ute with a shirt jammed in as my rest as I find it’s pretty steady and fast to set up. First shot at 55grns 2944, second 2935 and third 2939. Not bad from a 20inch barrel and the group was good. These Tikkas are amazing.

Name:  28B03C6F-F979-4F2B-A497-7713C316B1BB.jpeg
Views: 623
Size:  1.91 MB

All the loads grouped well and 56.5 was about 3030fps average. I was happy at 56grns which gave about 3000fps and grouped well under 1inch. This will be my alternative load to the 162s. Of interest the Belmont 760 also grouped under an inch with 55grn doing about 2850fps but more ES than the RE16. Now I’m looking forward to trying out RE16 with the ELDXs when I get some more projectiles.
    Moa Hunter, Rock, Magnus and 1 others like this.

Good work! You probably can get a bit more velocity by using thicker Norma brass as that 284 chamber in .322 neck.
    I have 76 162 eldx left, let me know if you want it.

Rock

Thanks @Rock I’m interested and will send a PM.

Thanks for sharing, the .284 is one to watch with Lapua coming out with their 284 Win brass next spring.

I'm looking at this chambering with Barnes or simillar copper solids in mind (long for weight bullets that like jump but need to be going fast), would you feel that a 2.8" COAL would hamper the cartridge a bit? (this is about the mag well limitation on a Rem model 7)

There is some argument whether the 284 should be a long action with long bullets seated out into the case neck or a short action with smaller 7mil pills seated as usual. Interesting discussion as the 284 was originally meant to deliver 270 shove for use in a semi.
    PTK likes this.

Did you sell the BSA in the end?
    I’ve just put a VX5 (firedot) on my new 19’’ Hardy barrelled .284 and I’m going to try some hotter loads with the 150 ELDX today plus I’ll try something similar to you with 140 Bergers.
    I’ve ordered 100 of the new Norma cases that are due Feb (hopefully!).
    Keep sharing the .284 data, it’s great to see what ever one else is up too.

Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post
    Did you sell the BSA in the end?
    I’ve just put a VX5 (firedot) on my new 19’’ Hardy barrelled .284 and I’m going to try some hotter loads with the 150 ELDX today plus I’ll try something similar to you with 140 Bergers.
    I’ve ordered 100 of the new Norma cases that are due Feb (hopefully!).
    Keep sharing the .284 data, it’s great to see what ever one else is up too.
    Hi @craigc

Sounds like you have the dream setup there. I think 19in is the perfect length for an “all rounder” and I would love a VX5. I also suspect that the 150ELDx is a great NZ bullet with decent BC but also good velocity. Let us know how it goes.

I haven’t sold the BSA yet - hard to understand with a carbon stock and lighter than a Tikka, but I also hesitate each time as I love that rifle. I’ll give the 162s a go in it soon once I pick up from @Rock and may put on a muzzle break and just keep it for Thar hunting.

Have a great Christmas
    Rock likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by caberslash View Post
    Thanks for sharing, the .284 is one to watch with Lapua coming out with their 284 Win brass next spring.

I'm looking at this chambering with Barnes or simillar copper solids in mind (long for weight bullets that like jump but need to be going fast), would you feel that a 2.8" COAL would hamper the cartridge a bit? (this is about the mag well limitation on a Rem model 7)

There is some argument whether the 284 should be a long action with long bullets seated out into the case neck or a short action with smaller 7mil pills seated as usual. Interesting discussion as the 284 was originally meant to deliver 270 shove for use in a semi.
    @caberslash there will be a lot more knowledgeable people than me on this Forum and I am heavily biased being a 284 fan for 20 years. In my opinion the 284 works better in actions that allow a bit more mag length. Model 7’s and some other true short actions have limited mag length as you say but a 284 will still squeeze a bit more velocity than a 7mm08 which you want with the copper projectiles. Is it worth it - probably not at 2.8” OAL. However the Remington Short Mag seems to be the go here with the best of both worlds - short, factory chamber and plenty of powder capacity. The ULA 284 rifles had longer mag boxes and so did the BSA Hunter/Viscount of my first 284 build. Obviously the Tikka most use here for 284 builds is just one action length with plenty of space.

I just think the 284 is the perfect compromise for a non magnum cartridge and they seem to be accurate more often than not. I’m pleased to see there are more brass options - pity a few companies don’t just make some factory 284s on a proper sized action with matching mag box
    Moa Hunter and caberslash like this.

@Rock sorted me some more 162ELDx so off loading a ladder with RL16 I went and shot them today with the 7mm08 loads.

The empty cases had already been fired in the Tikka and fitted fine so this time I just neck sized. I tried 52 up to 53.5 of RL16 with some previous help from Forum members to get a starting load. The Tikka like my BSA can seat long so these are not for short action 284s. OAL was 79.25mm. At 53gn onwards I was getting crunching and compressed loads with the longer ELDX. I ended up flagging the 54gn one as I didn’t feel comfortable. RL16 is a bit bulkier than RL17 and I like a full case but I didn’t have a dropper tube to try.

I was using a bipod for the first time with some chainsaw chaps for the rear rest.....3 shot groups

52gns 2737fps and 1” group
    52.5gns 2760fos and all through one hole!
    53gns 2802fps and 1” group
    53.5gns 2845fps and 1” group. Still no pressure signs from bolt or extractor marks

I then checked the Belmont 760 load I am currently set up for (53.2gn) and it was doing 2763fps and also shot pretty much one hole. Now this is definitely faster than expected (meant to be about 2680) and must be due to the very hot temp and warm barrel. Dead centre also so i can easily swap between RL16 and Belmont 760.
    Pretty happy that between 52.5 and 53gn of RL16 I will be easily sub MOA and doing about 2780fps. I’ll swap over to RL16 once I use up the rest of my current B760 loads

That will be the end of my load development for a while for the 284 at least

Name:  832FF187-1FCB-40CA-AEEF-B083DFC25562.jpeg
Views: 566
Size:  7.55 MB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tahr, 25 /08 IMP, Mooseman and 2 others like this.

Well done! Happy shooting !

Nice when you have a few options with different powders and are accurate as well. The 284 sure is a neat caliber especially for all round use in NZ.

Back again playing with the 284. I had used up all my 140 BTs on Fallow and Wallabies and almost run out of the 162eldx loads also. I’d also moved hose so had to set up the reloading bench again. I had planned to change to RE16 but it never seems to come into NZ so I’m going to stick with the Belmont 760 as I have a couple of tins I checked the zero with the 162s and got a nice 1/2 inch group with 2768, 2778, 2769 over the chronograph which I was happy with. I could get to 2800fps with a few more part grains to match the RE16 loads but it shoots well so will leave it alone. I’ve been using two cheap Hornady digital scales side by side and it works well. Both calibrated with the same test weight. They have a tendency to go out or waver so checking with two is pretty quick and the consistency is now good. I’ve just reverted to a teaspoon and powder tricker which is pretty easy with ball powder.

I still think the 284 is pretty close to the perfect combination of powder use, power and performance for NZ……
    chainsaw likes this.

What barrel length you running on the 284 @Forestry ?
    Agree the 284 is hard to beat for all round NZ hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    What barrel length you running on the 284 @Forestry ?
    Agree the 284 is hard to beat for all round NZ hunting.
    20inch as an all rounder - just running one centrefire rifle now and happy this can do everything I need….although a 223 would be useful if I lived in Wallaby country.