Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: 284 Win with Hodgdon Superformance

hey
    forgot to say the barrel is t3x factory, about 21 inches. In its previous life (7mm08) it loves 162 ELD-M and 150 ELD-X. I have loaded few 55gr H-SP and 160 ELD-M for a trip last weekend, and alas, gale force wind! Didn't get the chance to pull the trigger

I've ben following these threads on the 284 for while now and eventually got one myself. I've been playing around with superformance and this thread has been interesting. Im not loading myself for the rifle. I leave that to somebody with a lot more experience and expensive equipment.
    The rifle is a T3 with a factory 7mm 08 barrel reamed out by gunworks. 18 inch with DPT suppressor and VX5 3 to 15.
    using Norma factory 284 brass. 150 grn Nosler accubonds. Fed 210 primer and superformance we settled on 59.6 grms of powder. No pressure signs and shoots into .35 moa at a hundy. ran it over the Labradar this morning for an average of 2875 fps with an Es of 35. Conditions perfect at the range. Have shot gongs consistently out to 610 yrds with this load using applied ballistics.
    Did have some trouble at first as the first chrono tried reckoned the load was doing 2840 and we kept shooting over top of the gong. We had to fudge to speed upwards to not shoot straight over the top of the gong. Two shooters and a change to a different scope to eliminate any random errors and variables kept coming up with the same result.
    Have not had chance to go back out with today labradar data and shoot out again to see what happens.
    Also worked up a load with win760 and 139 ssts. they shot very well but havent had a chance to shoot an animal with them and figured to accubond would be the load to play with for now.
    Also had some old brass that came with the rifle of unknown history do have Mark Bridgeman have a look over it and clean it up and trim and resize. We tossed away some that looked tired or with split necks and did a experiment to see if we could find a load that shot the same POI at 50 mtrs for in the bush and that if i lost the brass in the heat of battle its not three dollar a pop brand new brass.
    with zero load devolpment we loaded up three 139 grn Hornady interlocks (cos i had heaps lying around that came with the rifle) and went to the range. Norma brass 56 grns of 2209 and CCI primers shot at 50 mtrs on a wobbly rest on a windy day all shot within a 1 inch orange dot. I also ran these over the labradar today and these averaged 2912FPS but with a ES of 81 FPS.
    I was happy with that so i have two loads that can be used interchangeably with no change to zero. The accubonds for the open long range stuff ( once i iron out the gremlins with the trajectory ) and a cheap and cheer full load to use in the bush and save the expensive brass and projectiles.
    I've shot 4 deer with the new rifle and it has worked as it should, so much so that i sold the 308 and will try having one rifle to rule them all instead of the 7mm rem mag and a 308.
    I also had a play at the range the other day with a mild load of 56.5 RL26 and 162 Eldx and 168 Berger's to see if they has potential. Both load shot into a ragged clover leaf with no fuss, so that might be the next development project over the winter when I have some time.
    Cheers Lads
    Ruger7mm, hey, 25/08IMP and 4 others like this.

hey
    Thanks Blackfern, that's awesome load you got there. Hopefully I can go to the range to test/verify my loads this week.

hey
    Thank you Blackfern! I have managed get some 150 nosler accubond LR projects from here, and it is the ticket! my ladder testing shows 55.0 gr=2825 (cold/clean bore); 55.5=2831; 56.0=2905; 56.5=2930. 2&3&4 are about 0.6" at 100M. Very happy. Now I just need find more projectiles and the powder!

Name:  IMG_20220323_221333.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  1.93 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Blackfern View Post
    I've ben following these threads on the 284 for while now and eventually got one myself. I've been playing around with superformance and this thread has been interesting. Im not loading myself for the rifle. I leave that to somebody with a lot more experience and expensive equipment.
    The rifle is a T3 with a factory 7mm 08 barrel reamed out by gunworks. 18 inch with DPT suppressor and VX5 3 to 15.
    using Norma factory 284 brass. 150 grn Nosler accubonds. Fed 210 primer and superformance we settled on 59.6 grms of powder. No pressure signs and shoots into .35 moa at a hundy. ran it over the Labradar this morning for an average of 2875 fps with an Es of 35. Conditions perfect at the range. Have shot gongs consistently out to 610 yrds with this load using applied ballistics.
    Did have some trouble at first as the first chrono tried reckoned the load was doing 2840 and we kept shooting over top of the gong. We had to fudge to speed upwards to not shoot straight over the top of the gong. Two shooters and a change to a different scope to eliminate any random errors and variables kept coming up with the same result.
    Have not had chance to go back out with today labradar data and shoot out again to see what happens.
    Also worked up a load with win760 and 139 ssts. they shot very well but havent had a chance to shoot an animal with them and figured to accubond would be the load to play with for now.
    Also had some old brass that came with the rifle of unknown history do have Mark Bridgeman have a look over it and clean it up and trim and resize. We tossed away some that looked tired or with split necks and did a experiment to see if we could find a load that shot the same POI at 50 mtrs for in the bush and that if i lost the brass in the heat of battle its not three dollar a pop brand new brass.
    with zero load devolpment we loaded up three 139 grn Hornady interlocks (cos i had heaps lying around that came with the rifle) and went to the range. Norma brass 56 grns of 2209 and CCI primers shot at 50 mtrs on a wobbly rest on a windy day all shot within a 1 inch orange dot. I also ran these over the labradar today and these averaged 2912FPS but with a ES of 81 FPS.
    I was happy with that so i have two loads that can be used interchangeably with no change to zero. The accubonds for the open long range stuff ( once i iron out the gremlins with the trajectory ) and a cheap and cheer full load to use in the bush and save the expensive brass and projectiles.
    I've shot 4 deer with the new rifle and it has worked as it should, so much so that i sold the 308 and will try having one rifle to rule them all instead of the 7mm rem mag and a 308.
    I also had a play at the range the other day with a mild load of 56.5 RL26 and 162 Eldx and 168 Berger's to see if they has potential. Both load shot into a ragged clover leaf with no fuss, so that might be the next development project over the winter when I have some time.
    Cheers Lads

Quote Originally Posted by hey View Post
    Thank you Blackfern! I have managed get some 150 nosler accubond LR projects from here, and it is the ticket! my ladder testing shows 55.0 gr=2825 (cold/clean bore); 55.5=2831; 56.0=2905; 56.5=2930. 2&3&4 are about 0.6" at 100M. Very happy. Now I just need find more projectiles and the powder!

Attachment 193213
    Good velocity for quite a bit less powder than I'm having to use. What barrel length and set up are you using?

hey
    Mine is the factory barrel length, around 21-22 inches.

I've just done a test run with RL16 pushing the 150gr eldx,
    Started at 52.5gr and worked up in 0.5gr increments, the majic started at 53.5gr of powder at an avg of 2940fps, still have 54 an 54.5gr to try as I stopped at 53.5, not seeing pressure signs. 22 inch barrel. Happy as so far 0.465MOA
    Name:  IMG_20220216_183118.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  3.20 MB
    Ruger7mm, hey, chainsaw and 2 others like this.
    Cursed be the ground for our sake. Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for us. For out of the ground we were taken, for the dust we are... and to the dust we shall return.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    SPF works great in some calibres and not so much in others. Bloody amazing in a 270. When you find a good load, just be a little careful using it in summer, I have found it is somewhat more temp sensitive than others.
    Hi Husky1600,
    could you share your 270 Superformance load and velocity? I'm keen to give it a try.
    Thanks!
    Borris likes this.
    loving everything high velocity, and a a few calibres not so high velocity

hey
    Hi 243wssm, have a look of those links. Keep us posted.
    https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....n-loads-37401/
    https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....86/index2.html
    https://www.coueswhitetail.com/forum...r-for-270-win/

Quote Originally Posted by 243wssm View Post
    Hi Husky1600,
    could you share your 270 Superformance load and velocity? I'm keen to give it a try.
    Thanks!

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
    I've just done a test run with RL16 pushing the 150gr eldx,
    Started at 52.5gr and worked up in 0.5gr increments, the majic started at 53.5gr of powder at an avg of 2940fps, still have 54 an 54.5gr to try as I stopped at 53.5, not seeing pressure signs. 22 inch barrel. Happy as so far 0.465MOA
    Attachment 193252
    RE26 goes super well too, ive only tried it with 162's and 180's thou from my 22" 284 barrel

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    RE26 goes super well too, ive only tried it with 162's and 180's thou from my 22" 284 barrel
    So I hear, been keeping an eye out for RL26 but it seems to as rare as unobtainium for the time being........ Sigh.
    Cursed be the ground for our sake. Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for us. For out of the ground we were taken, for the dust we are... and to the dust we shall return.

hi guys, im looking pretty hard at a 284 win tikka t3, is the 284 as good in the field as it looks on paper? i like the idea of sending a 139~154gn projectile with enough punch to anchor a reasonable sized red deer at 400 maybe 500 yards. a spot i shoot a bit often has animals around that distance across gullies

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shano View Post
    hi guys, im looking pretty hard at a 284 win tikka t3, is the 284 as good in the field as it looks on paper? i like the idea of sending a 139~154gn projectile with enough punch to anchor a reasonable sized red deer at 400 maybe 500 yards. a spot i shoot a bit often has animals around that distance across gullies
    284Win will shoot that distance with enough energy to do what you need quite comfortably. The question is can you?
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Absolutely. Choose the appropriate pill for the range & game you are intending to shoot & place the shot accurately = job done. I run a bush load (140gn Accubond or 145gn Speer HC) and 162 AMAX or ELDMS for 300+. In my 22in bbl 284 I get north of 3000fps running 162s with RL26. Who needs a REM mag?! Get 2950 fps with RL17.

Quote Originally Posted by Shano View Post
    sure will. having said that a 7mm rem mag with a 20 inch barrel will do it with factory ammo. you will need to reload if your using the 284.