Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: 284 Win with Hodgdon Superformance

thanks kiwijames & chainsaw, ive managed a couple of reds @ 316 & 383 yards with my 260 rem & 130gn gamechangers, recovered projectiles from both animals both high shoulder shots. my local farm property/ rifle range has enough flat area with a good backstop to shoot a 6in gong just on 4oo yards reasonably consistantly, ive just rejoined the deer stalkers after nearly 30 years so i now need to find out our local range days to see how i go from the 500 yard mound. i like my 260 for everything from magpies to deer but i thought a 284 might be a better longer range deer calibre, obviuosly a heavier projectile travelling a little faster has a knockdown advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    Absolutely. Choose the appropriate pill for the range & game you are intending to shoot & place the shot accurately = job done. I run a bush load (140gn Accubond or 145gn Speer HC) and 162 AMAX or ELDMS for 300+. In my 22in bbl 284 I get north of 3000fps running 162s with RL26. Who needs a REM mag?! Get 2950 fps with RL17.
    Hey Chainsaw, just about to start a load test in my 284, I’ll be running 162 eldm and RE26, curious what’s your load, obviously always work up etc. finding data is hard for 284 and re26, cheers

Right around 60gn on my scales and batch of RL26, Lapua brass, seated at 3.170 COL. Pressure signs (bolt lift) started at 60.5gn and 61.0 was getting “warm” for sure. Start a few grains lower & work up.
    Fly-My-Pretties likes this.

Agreed at around 60gr is the top end. mine are seated long though it will be over pressure at short action mag length

I'm running 59gr rl26 with 162gr ELD-M with a long OAL for 2830fps in 20inchbarrel. Seems low pressure load but seems to have plenty of knock down!

Cheers lads I’ll prob start around 56gr or so. I have a 26” bbl and my chambers been throated long which will help so should be good speeds
    kiwi303 likes this.