Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: 300 win mag loads

Quote Originally Posted by muka88 View Post
    I measured the lands on the howa coal 3.715 the mag only holds 3.5 and adi lists 3.420 thats nearly 0.300 jump can this be right?

Howd you measure lands mate?

The cheep skate way, colour the bullet put it in a lightly neck sized case and closing the bolt.

The cheep skate way, colour the bullet put it in a lightly neck sized case and closing the bolt.
    I use to blackn with a lighter now with a tip from a member i hacksaw down the neck to create a split and chamber a round this way and measure i did it about 20 times to make sure and am confident iv got it very easy very fast. I was getting a false feel for the lands with another rifle and it just wouldnt shoot i was about 160thou off where i thought lands were as soon as i changed bomfa i had a shooter . 300 seems an exclusively long freebore id try another method youtube has a good video about closing the bolt with the firing spring removed and going by feel also another good way. Thats just on 300 difference from adi to what your getting aswell so id say somethings playing tricks

Thanks mate il give that method a go to confirm. Do you use a sized case and cut down 1 side.
    I have seen the video that you are referring to but seems like a hassle pulling the bolt to bits.

Thanks mate il give that method a go to confirm. Do you use a sized case and cut down 1 side.
    I have seen the video that you are referring to but seems like a hassle pulling the bolt to bits.
    I cut down middle from top of neck to start of shoukder bother sides at once so to cuts it also makes it easy to apply pressure by thumbs so it holds onto projo. I use a sized case yes @Gkp might be able to give nore tips i picked it up off him and really happy with how fasr easy and precise it is

Il add a photo when I get home tomorrow mate

I’ve shot about 1500 208 eldm’s out of a 300wm. Firstly with 2217 then with 2225. I got pressure issues with the 2217 so I used the 2225 and got the same speed with less pressure. I used it as a match rifle. Was pretty accurate. Only ever shot a couple fallow with it at 800m. Neck shot so I can’t really comment on how good they are on game through the chest. Killed roos well.

Gkp
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelton View Post
    I cut down middle from top of neck to start of shoukder bother sides at once so to cuts it also makes it easy to apply pressure by thumbs so it holds onto projo. I use a sized case yes @Gkp might be able to give nore tips i picked it up off him and really happy with how fasr easy and precise it is
    That's it. Just lube the projectile so it doesn't get stuck in the lands. Roughing up the projectile with sand paper where it makes contact with the inside of the neck can also help stopping from being pulled out when opening the bolt.