Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 300wm

300wm

Ok it's probably on this site some where but I can't find it. What's a good projectile for the 300wm from 100-600ish( maybe a little further if need be) that will let lots of day light in? I've shot a few animals with the 225 eld-m and no pass throughs which has cost me as no blood trail to follow. Accuracy is great and it puts a way bigger dent in the gongs than a 7mm mag but has failed to exit a chamois at 500yds and two red yearlings at 360yds. So not huge animals and far enough away to slow down for good penetration. I have berger 215's that the yanks rate and have checked the hollow points plus 212eld-x which there's not a lot of info on performance that I can find. Who's using what and can it be counted on to exit most of the time without pin holing?

You could try the Barnes TTSX in 180gr or LRX in 200gr.

I have drilled a fair few fallow from 20-200m with the 120gr (7mm08) and had mostly all pass throughs with good internal damage and blood trails. You don't get the massive damage like you do with interlocks or sst's so you have to be a bit careful with shot placement.

The Barnes monolithic projectiles like a bit more velocity at the target end so I'd probably give the 180gr TTSX a go.

I use 200gr eldx @2920 in my 300wsm, can't fault them in any way from 50 to 600yards on mature Bulls, Red stags to meat animals. They open up at all distances.At the end of day it doesn't matter what cannon you use you, you still have to put the bullet in the right place. They do fragment and bit but if your shot is abit off it can be enough to hit the vitals, hope this helps

I kinda come from the school of... accuracy first allowing for excellent bullet placement, then enough speed and frangibility or expansion to do the business. As we can't expect copper and lead to be a smart bullet making up for our own shortcomings in where the bullet goes and the terminal damage delivered.

That said I've always had good results for longer shots with the 208 amax's and now Eld's. With another round with similar POI 0-200yds like a Barnes or GMX in the chamber for the reaction shot. (eliminating the chance of bullet break up at close ranges, but still enabling you to set up and cycle the action for the round below for a long shot)

Recently for long range gong shooting and because the 208's and heavier rounds can, and do beat you up over a long day I've been using the Berger Hunting VLD's starting with 195's before dropping down to the 175's which go very well and consistently for me.

I've heard people say the best round is the one you are most comfortable and confident in using ... I think there's a lot of wisdom in that..
    I'm drawn to the mountains and streams, its where life is clear, where the world makes most sense!

I mostly use around the 180 gr in my 300 WM both the 180gr Noslar BT and Accubond are good rounds, at the moment I use the 178gr ELD X and find depending on the size of animal and where it's hit I get pass throughs and sometimes the bullets don't exit.( Big Sambar tend to stop a bullet OK) One thing is for sure the animals don't go far, no tracking jobs.
    Years back in my BAR in 300 WM I used the Hornady 180gr sp and that worked fine as well.

Thanks. The internal damage has been great but no blood trail is the problem. Sometimes an animal needs to only go a short distance and without a dog or blood trail it can't be found even when hit properly. Will try the 212 eld-x since they are supposed to be a hunting design. I was hoping the 2225m would be like the 208 amax that people rate but I haven't found it behaves that way on what I've shot.

TLB
    Yeah I'd give the 212s a go. I have a tikka so limited in what I can use but the 200gr eld x seem to be working well. Enough energy out to a lot further than I can shoot as well.

I shoot the 208gr ELD-M out of 300WSM, doing a touch over 2700 and passes through deer our to 600m and goats out to 800m. Plenty!! of damage.