Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Tentman
  • 1 Post By grandpamac
  • 1 Post By MSL
  • 1 Post By 7mmsaum
  • 1 Post By nor-west

Thread: 308 14 inch barrel what bullet?

308 14 inch barrel what bullet?

So a shorty bush pig Zastava 308 14" barrel, maximum distance 200 yards, Have a heap of the Speer 150btsp very soft bullet designed for the 300 savage but was thinking maybe Barnes 110 or 130 going a bit faster might be a better bet, the rifle is a very good shooter so don't really want to put a new barrel on. Any ideas welcome rifle is suppressed 2-8 Burris and I have a heap of 308 powder (2206, 3031, 4895 w748 etc)..
    Thanks Jeff

The Speer 130 gn is a very solid performer (the Aussies use heaps of them for "station ammo" that has to deal with roos to bush bulls - so I was reliably informed by a Queensland mate last night). I shot a lot of game (not many deer it has to be said) with them in the early 80's when all I had was a 308. Just so happens that I have a box of them again now. 52 or 53 gns of W748 would get you over 2800 fps from your 14"

With your Speer 150's you'd get 2600 fps - still a very effective load to 300M !!
    nor-west and Micky Duck like this.

Greetings Nor-west,
    As a retro old codger may I suggest some of the round nose or flat point projectiles. These expand reliably down to about 1,700 fps and shoot flat enough for the 200 yards you mention. Just match the weight to the size of game you are after. I have used Norma 150 (for .30-30) and 180 grain (Alaska) flat points and Hornady 150 grain round nose projectiles some in reduced loads. All work. My go to powder for my .308 rifles these days is AR2206H because of its flexibility. It is used in both full power and reduced loads in .308 w, .303, .30-40 and .223.
    Regards Grandpamac.
    Micky Duck likes this.

MSL
    Barnes 130ttsx going fast, have been using for 7-8 years with no complaints. Heavy projectiles increase the recoil impulse greatly when your shooting a super light rifle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    6x47 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    Barnes 130ttsx going fast, have been using for 7-8 years with no complaints. Heavy projectiles increase the recoil impulse greatly when your shooting a super light rifle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You pretty happy with the TTSX @MSL?

I've just developed and validated a load of the 120g TTSX for my 7mm08 bushpig. They're running at 2920, so hopefully that's enough to get them doing their thing.

Caretaker
    150g Sierra Gamekings
    superdiver likes this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

135gr sierra hpbt gameking with the crimped hollow point. Savage as hell and be lethal for the ranges you will shoot. Mates runs them in his 12" 308 to great effect!

180grn hornady interlocts....they are soft and also work well in the 300 savage...as a bush load I cant complain with terminal preformance.....went to them to try to duplicate the terminal preformance of 180grn winchester power point factory stuff.....yip pretty darn close. your speer 150s for that 200 yard shot across gully...job done.
    the 180s MAY not load from mag.....they not so flash from my zastava so one goes in chamber with splitzers below in mag.

Ok so really just stick with a cup and core 130 grains and up, pretty sure Brian bought about a 1000 150 grain projectiles corelocks or something I'll just flog some off him
    superdiver likes this.

Oh those corelokts would be epic