Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: 308 reloading

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    A word of caution about the BTs. I used them in my 300WM and they were great. Accurate and deadly. I tried them in my short (16") 308 and they weren't so good. Still accurate but a tad harder than I liked for the reduced velocities of a short barreled 308win. They penetrated really well but didn't do a much damage on the way through as I wanted. I have just switched to 168 ELD-M but only have one kill with them so far. A Red hind at 30 yards quatering away. I put the bullet behind her near shoulder and it never exited. The BT would have gone straight through and out the other side still doing 1000fps.
    Yeah will be sending them a a bit faster as have a 20" barrel. Will try the 168eldms if these don't shoot.
    Shearer likes this.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by superdiver View Post
    .... will be doing some kaimanawas tops and ruahines slips shooting out to 500m...
    You're kidding, right?

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    You're kidding, right?
    Why would I be kidding?

Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    A word of caution about the BTs. I used them in my 300WM and they were great. Accurate and deadly. I tried them in my short (16") 308 and they weren't so good. Still accurate but a tad harder than I liked for the reduced velocities of a short barreled 308win. They penetrated really well but didn't do a much damage on the way through as I wanted. I have just switched to 168 ELD-M but only have one kill with them so far. A Red hind at 30 yards quatering away. I put the bullet behind her near shoulder and it never exited. The BT would have gone straight through and out the other side still doing 1000fps.
    Intereresting... what weight? I run the 150gr in my 16'' 308 and have yet to have an animal take another step after being hit. Moved to them after a terrible run with the 125gr accubonds that weren't opening up at 308 speeds.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Why would I be kidding?
    Well, 500m is a bit unrealistic with a .308 hunting rifle don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Hunty1 View Post
    Intereresting... what weight? I run the 150gr in my 16'' 308 and have yet to have an animal take another step after being hit. Moved to them after a terrible run with the 125gr accubonds that weren't opening up at 308 speeds.
    165s and not loaded very fast (@2450fps). They were left over from my 300WM days and at over 3000fps they were great.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by 10-Ring View Post
    Well, 500m is a bit unrealistic with a .308 hunting rifle don't you think?
    not if you know what you are doing and your loads are capable. A mate of mine has an 18" 308 shooting 168 amax @2600 and has shot sika/tahr/chamois out to 570yds
    10-Ring likes this.

not if you know what you are doing and your loads are capable. A mate of mine has an 18" 308 shooting 168 amax @2600 and has shot sika/tahr/chamois out to 570yds
    Greetings Superdriver,
    My son was out yesterday. He had his first FTR shoot for the season on Saturday and showed me his 10 shot group (on his bat phone sent by the target). It measured 150 mm wide and 92 mm high. This was a target rifle but it indicates the level of precision that can be achieved with a well set up .308. They shoot out to 1000 yards. I must invite myself out there to see what they get up to.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Yeah, nothing wrong with the 308 for long range, excepting having to work your arse off with the wind. Something that the hot 7mm guys have an easier life with. Mind you having a hot 7mm still doesn't exclude you from having to dope the wind, or mean they are any good at doping the wind.

Re shooters that know what they are doing - we have had guys turn up at the club with stories of their long range successed only for them to not be able to hit our medium range targets (5/600 yds). Some come back very determined and keen to get better and they do. Others just never come back.
    johnd, Shearer, 10-Ring and 1 others like this.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Oh, I guess I'm just an oldie; I forgot about the Hubble scopes and dialling up etc. A deer is still a pretty smaller target at 500m. I'll shoot them up 400m but no further and that's with a very accurate .308 and 6.5 Creedmoor, but that's just me. Good luck with your hunting/shooting.
    Micky Duck likes this.

I don't mean to come across like a wanker if i did. I have spent hours shooting multiple calibres out to 1000m so pretty confident at that range otherwise I wouldn't be attempting to shoot 500m~. Only have a 3-10 so even if my load is more capable I don't think I would push it any further than that.
    Shearer, 10-Ring and Micky Duck like this.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Yeah, nothing wrong with the 308 for long range, excepting having to work your arse off with the wind. Something that the hot 7mm guys have an easier life with. Mind you having a hot 7mm still doesn't exclude you from having to dope the wind, or mean they are any good at doping the wind.

Re shooters that know what they are doing - we have had guys turn up at the club with stories of their long range successed only for them to not be able to hit our medium range targets (5/600 yds). Some come back very determined and keen to get better and they do. Others just never come back.
    Where are you in the waikato mate?

what powder and grain was he running to get 168 amax going

Unsure on powder weight but 2206h. Will report back when my development is done