Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry
  • 1 Post By Jhon
  • 1 Post By T.FOYE

Thread: 38-55 info? - Moulds, projectile sourcing

38-55 info? - Moulds, projectile sourcing

Anyone got a good source for buying cast or jacketed projectiles for 38-66 - .377 nominal dia.

And for those casting, preferred moulds?

cheers
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Shooter NZ in tokoroa casts a very nice 250 flat base flat nose for the 38/55 which I used to buy but now I cast my own using a lee mold, not quite as nice looking but they work just as well
    Jhon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Shooter NZ in tokoroa casts a very nice 250 flat base flat nose for the 38/55 which I used to buy but now I cast my own using a lee mold, not quite as nice looking but they work just as well
    I think I may have to take a drive down the Wairarapa sometime
    Micky Duck likes this.

if you cant find, you could import from aussie or i could send over-- few mobs here doin cast, an hard cast commercially.

ive got the 375 winchester but load it as a powerful 38-55 or what they call "hot 38" loads with the hard cast stuff. plinking is getting expensive though so cast is way to go.

ranch dogs moulds are the go , can get variety of weights real heavy an even hollowed out etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rees View Post
    if you cant find, you could import from aussie or i could send over-- few mobs here doin cast, an hard cast commercially.

ive got the 375 winchester but load it as a powerful 38-55 or what they call "hot 38" loads with the hard cast stuff. plinking is getting expensive though so cast is way to go.

ranch dogs moulds are the go , can get variety of weights real heavy an even hollowed out etc.
    Thks Rees, I just plonked my money down on a Uberti, 38-55 High Wall SS with 30" barrel. Comes with 100 Starline long brass and 100 projectiles that will at least let me go bang when it arrives in a couple of weeks after all the paperwork gets done

I see Black Widow and HRBC both have a 38-55 offering in PC Cast. Any experience with those? The Black Widow I can order from the local importer here with a couple of mths lead time. But in lots of 500 or 1000. Lot of projectiles to have on hand if they don't suit the rifle tho eh? The price of a 1000 easily covers the cost of a custom mould. Just have to get my hands on the gat first to see what's what.

I have lead and antimony supplies enough to experiment with hardness. The rifle will predominantly be a target beast but will certainly also take it after some game - but from a hide I think rather than traipsing a 30 inch octagonal around the hills lol

I'm in Darwin for the IPSC Handgun nationals in June/July so might organize to bring some samples back with me.

I'll PM my email - go from there. Cheers

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/shop...2-2-cavity-gc/

I'd hit up NOE and go undersized by a thou and just powder coat them
    Jhon likes this.