Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By csmiffy
  • 1 Post By PerazziSC3
  • 1 Post By grandpamac

Thread: 416 rem mag case trimmer

416 rem mag case trimmer

Haven't measured them but I would assume that sooner or later I will need to trim my 416 cases.
    Don't do a lot of shooting with it for several reasons so realistically maybe not lol.
    Anyway looking online for trimmer pilots etc comes up a bit short. It shares the same case length as the parent 375H+H case so potentially I could adapt one of the lee ones with a sleeve to fit the case mouth but still need the cutter. not too much of a biggie
    Already have a Lyman ezee trim set but need a 416 pilot which I can't seem to find, I also have a lee quick trim, the one that looks the end of an old brace and bit but doesn't seem to be any dies for that either.
    do not want to pay heaps for a system that will get the least use of my shooters
    Maybe a file die?
    What do you guys reckon?
    Maybe @grandpamac has some sage wisdom?
    Micky Duck and grandpamac like this.

Side track but these are pretty good buying

https://www.guncity.com/federal-416-...-rounds-380468
    csmiffy likes this.

years back...it was file it off straight as you can that was the normal way to do things.....I may or may not have been known to use angle grinder GENTLY to bring cases back down quickly...with lots of measureing going on,Im not a total heathen...
    you arent taking off a HUGE amount and your deburring tool will clean up most errors without hassle,as long as you dont drastically shorten the necks,a wee bit too short is better than wee bit too long.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    Side track but these are pretty good buying

https://www.guncity.com/federal-416-...-rounds-380468
    That really is good buying although a touch on the heavy side. Not a lot of 416 factory ammo and even less lighter than 400gr.
    Have to class even 350gr barnes as a 400gr softpoint
    Back when I bought the old girl in 97 there was 2 choices of ammo. Remington 400gr at 180bucks a packet and federal 400s at 150 a packet but had to buy 5.
    750 wasnt much less than I payed for the rifle haha
    Probably should measure them. Been mixed up over the years so most have been fired twice with a couple only once but bugger all neck to stop them getting longer

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    Haven't measured them but I would assume that sooner or later I will need to trim my 416 cases.
    Don't do a lot of shooting with it for several reasons so realistically maybe not lol.
    Anyway looking online for trimmer pilots etc comes up a bit short. It shares the same case length as the parent 375H+H case so potentially I could adapt one of the lee ones with a sleeve to fit the case mouth but still need the cutter. not too much of a biggie
    Already have a Lyman ezee trim set but need a 416 pilot which I can't seem to find, I also have a lee quick trim, the one that looks the end of an old brace and bit but doesn't seem to be any dies for that either.
    do not want to pay heaps for a system that will get the least use of my shooters
    Maybe a file die?
    What do you guys reckon?
    Maybe @grandpamac has some sage wisdom?
    There is an answer to your problem but I don't think you are going to like it. Any of the lathe type trimmers should have the length required for the .416. My 50 year old Bair unit does. As far as the pilots go they should be avaiable although possibly not marked .416. I made a set on a lathe years back and case hardened them and they are still going strong. If you don't have a lathe type trimmer and don't want to buy one there should be someone locally that can help. Lyman offer a no 41 pilot that should do it but don't expect to find one in your local sportsshop.
    GPM.
    csmiffy likes this.

@grandpamac yeah not a fan of an expensive set up.
    I should really get the verniers out and check them all.
    Might be a moot point if they are under by a bit.
    Not going to be reloaded half a dozen times each any time soon lol
    Potentially could use a 300 or 375 H+H trim die and bore it out to suit. I do have access to a lathe at work.

Name:  IMG_0005.JPG
Views: 245
Size:  5.09 MB

Have a 41Mag lee trimmer pilot if that helps, also made Lyman case trimmer pilots using socket head bolt as they are quite hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Tedz50 View Post
    Attachment 197528

Have a 41Mag lee trimmer pilot if that helps, also made Lyman case trimmer pilots using socket head bolt as they are quite hard.
    Cheers Ted. Possibly a bit short and just a little smaller in diameter.
    Good idea about the pilot. Might just have to go that way