Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 44-40 Powder choices

44-40 Powder choices

I've been loading for a 44-40 Uberti 1873 for a while now.
    I have two loads which are very accurate:
    AR2207 26grn with 240grn Projectiles. Powder is compressed in this load.
    Bullseye 6grn with 200grn projectiles.

The AR2207 load is good but unnecessarily hot for a target load and on the pressure limit I'd consider for the 1873 toggle link action.
    The bullseye load is a pleasure to shoot and very, very accurate at 50m (yesterday key holed three shots measured at about .4" group).

However, the bullseye load varies in velocity by 220+ FPS in a load that averages around 990-1000 FPS. As a result I get quite significant vertical dispersion at 100m, it seems to hold together to 50 but the effect is marked at 100m. Enough that I won't be able to hit a target at that distance consistency.
    I suspect this is because of the small amount of powder actually in the large case and ignition varies wildly as a result. I also don't like how little powder there is in the case as it would be possible to at least triple charge the cartridge and have no problem seating a bullet - my reloading method avoids this possibility but still irks me.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a powder that will deliver similar velocities to the Bullseye load but has far greater bulk with a powder that might be available.
    I know a similar load of Winchester 231 would be about the same velocity but the Lee Volume Measure Density data shows that the volume of a similar charge of Winchester 231 would be smaller than Bullseye which may have the same issue.

black powder LOL.....
    shooternz and 40mm like this.

Gone but not forgotten
    What about Trailboss?

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    What about Trailboss?
    Would be perfect but doesn't fit in the guise of "with a powder that might be available"

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    black powder LOL.....
    Tempted. But I've no experience with black powder and the cleaning required makes me think I'd rather not.

trailboss for me
    Sorry that doesn't help
    But my Remington Baby carbine is pretty bloody accurate with 7.0 grains behind a 240 XTP
    Well accurate for and 1888 carbine
    Micky Duck likes this.

My go to load is 7 gr of AP70 in 357 mag, 44 mag, 45 LC, 38/40 and 44/40.
    I have a powder measure set up and it loads them all and is accurate in them all.

Sounds like, I should keep shooting what I've got and wait until either trail boss or AP70 is available again. Although ADI has notified they have basically stopped development on either of those...

I use 6 grains of WST (the old Winchester 452AA) with the 200 grain lead bullet and it is a good cowboy action load in revolver and carbine. It is about 760 fps in the 5.5" revolver and about 900 fps in a 20" M92 Winchester.

Gone but not forgotten
    Do you crimp your ammo? It may help reduce the velocity spread.

Trailboss has come up for sale on here occasionally, a small amount makes a lot of ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    Do you crimp your ammo? It may help reduce the velocity spread.

Trailboss has come up for sale on here occasionally, a small amount makes a lot of ammo.
    Certainly do. Lee Factory Crimp on all 44-40. Velocity spread is with crimp.

Quote Originally Posted by Makros View Post
    Sounds like, I should keep shooting what I've got and wait until either trail boss or AP70 is available again. Although ADI has notified they have basically stopped development on either of those...
    I do hope that " stopped development " isn't the same as stopped making trailboss !
    They must sell tons of it into the usa

Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    I do hope that " stopped development " isn't the same as stopped making trailboss !
    They must sell tons of it into the usa
    Propellant Update – ADI World Class Powders and Ammunition
    Does sound like it for now.

Your AR2207 load with 26 grains is well within safe limits for the '73. Nothing to worry about there, it was created for use in original '73's and still get proper .44 WCF velocities (You can make the same load with Reloader 7 as well)

There are no other powders with more bulk than these two above. You can play with fillers, semolina or toilet paper tissue for the powders I mention below, they are what I have experimented with, but I found no real joy in it and gave it up and have never returned.

If you want a lighter load for target shooting and what have you, then you need a tin of AP70N which does not seem to be as position sensitive as Bullseye. (Although is is still a bit position sensitive.) (Known as Universal, but can use the same loads as Unique) 8 grains will get you around the speed of sound 1125gps and it very accurate, ten rounds in an inch and a half at 100 metres from a Rossi and a Uberti.
    (10 grains will get you 1350 fps(same velocity as the 2207 load) and should be considered max with this powder.

You can also use H4227 which is AR2205, light loads down around 18 grains and high velocity at 24 grains. (Which nearly fills the case) (1750fps in a 24 inch barrelled rifle and 200 grain jacketed bullet)

Crimp all of these loads stoutly to get a good powder burn.

I would avoid Trailboss. It is expensive for what you get, and has higher pressures. I have a bunch of it if someone wants it.

Of course the other solution, is to use black powder. Load 36 grains of 3F into an unsized case, crush it down with a jacketed bullet, (pull the bullet out - unsized case remember) and then load your pure lead bullet on top, and give it a light crimp.
    Use Chefade fat as a lube on the bullets. You can mix a bit of beeswax in too, to thicken it up and stop it going off. Don't use commercial lube with black power.

You can shoot jacketed bullets with black powder as well, they work fine for the first few shots, (then run a damp patch through the bore). This time you use sized cases, and seat and compress the powder with the bullet as per normal. (No lube obviously)

You will learn a secret now about the .44-40 - Black powder cleaning is simple and easier than smokeless. The .44-40 case was designed for it and does not allow fouling to blow into the action. You simply pour water down the bore and then run a couple of patches through. Cleaned. Then you oil it like normal. Done.

Basically all I use now is 2207 for hunting AP70N for target shooting and messing around, and black powder loads when I am in the mood. If I wanted a high velocity load I would use 2205 but I have not bothered loading any HV loads for several years. The .44-40 should run at 1300fps. Thats what it does.

If you make any ammo with any of these powders that dont bulk fill the case like 2207 or RE7 do, for hunting applications instead of just banging them off at the range, you will need to learn how to crimp your cases underneath the bullet to stop bullet set back.
    Last edited by JohnDuxbury; 28-02-2022 at 05:06 PM.
    Micky Duck likes this.

pretty sure ap70 is discontinued? anyway alliant unique is pretty similar burn rate wise, and it does exist, theres not alot of it but it is out there in the wild unlike trailboss