Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: .44 Mag Crimping

Banned
    Rambo, yes that's the way I do it too.

Banned
    WillB - I would use AP70N rather than Trailboss for your sub loads. Although if what your doing works, then it works. I have tried sub loads in a .44 Magnum with Trailboss, but I do it with AP70N (Universal/Unique) in the .44-40, which is virtually the same case. 8.5 grains will get you just under the speed of sound with a 200 grain bullet for example, and accuracy is superlative.

(I found Trailboss unpredictable. Its really for Cowboy target shooters, who are not concerned at all with accuracy. The other downside is that Trailboss makes for higher pressures to achieve the same thing AP70 does.)

When dealing with the smaller amounts of powder in a big case, you can get velocity variations depending on which end of the case the powder is sitting in. I have tried filling the rest of the case with cotton wool, or folded toilet tissue. Both sort of worked to flatten out the variation in velocity by holding the powder back against the primer, but gave up on both, because its only good for the range - if you carry them around a lot hunting, and jack them in and out of the chamber, the powder sifts through your filler material, which cant be a good thing. (I pulled a couple of bullets and checked) Range sessions were interesting. Cotton wool and tissue paper flew everywhere.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Cheers for that. I have a big bottle of Trailboss so I guess I’ll work my way through that first. The cases are pretty full with 9 gn TB which is getting me around 900 fps. I’ve loaded a few more to try out but that’s how it’s looking. I got a Lee taper crimp die from Workshop Innovations - arrived in two days, great service - and that does seem to work. It’s good not having to reset the seating die all the time. I’m can still get those curls of brass coming off the lip tho. Maybe once I switch to the Starline that will change.

A common "trick" with low volume loads is to elevate the muzzle before a shot to tip the powder back towards the primer. Not really practical hunting I guess but my go to load for the 3030 is 10 grains of blue dot, no filler and a 180 gr flat point. It chronies 1100 plus or minus 20 and seems un concerned weather the powders on the primer, up the front or along the bottom.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

You only have a problem with ignition when you get down around 5.0 grains of powder, we use to shoot 170 grain cast with 3.5 grains of Red dot with a dacron filler
    in .308's in the days before suppressors great for practise and rabbits very quiet and good accuracy to 50 metres,
    ADI has loads for Trail Boss in the .44 Mag starting at 6.4 grains with a 240 gr cast so 9.0 gr is not going to have any problem igniting

I went to large pistol magnum primers, also thinking that could help with getting full ignition

Can't hurt, only really need them for 296 2400 H110

The problem with loafing is experts can make it sound complicated and very technical when it can be very very simple if you want. Somewhere in between is the sweet spot for most.

Here is KISS lol

https://youtu.be/UeEl9wZyabc

A lot of what loaders do is really "optional".

A basic procedure.
    1. De-Prime
    2. Clean with cloth or in Aldi ultrasonic cleaner. (Optional) Dry
    3. Visual inspection of fired cases looking for signs of pressures, case separation or neck cracking.
    4. Anneal every few reloads or as required. (Optional)
    5. Lube case including inside neck.and FLRS or neck size.
    6. Wash/clean/remove all lube and dry.
    7. Trim all cases & debur. (if required)
    8. Prime.
    9. Powder charge (Weighing charge is optional) scoops?
    10. Seat projectile and check length. (OAL)
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
    https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y