Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 450 Bushmaster

450 Bushmaster

Hey team, is there anyone reloading subsonics for a 450 bush master if so what are you using i.e projectile amd how do you find it. wanting to do some reloads just dont have any of the gear so im hoping somone out there can give me a hand on sorting it out
    Cheers guys

there is a whole thread dedicated to .44 and .45 subsonics.....
    the cartridge doesnt matter..the projectile and its velocity will be the same if subsonic is your choice......... bottom line is you way better off with supersonic UNLESS you are using as very close range bail gun or are prepared to pick your shots with much care.....

dont own the calibre but interested to see the comments. I was looking at 450BM as well but being only wanted subsonic I decided to go for smaller case 45 acp. Projectiles will be the same for either. I'm looking to try speer gold dot hollow points in 230 and 200. The 230 in 45 cal is about the lowest velocity consistently expanding bullet of all brands and calibres, just off youtube tests. It is still opening to .65cal right down to 750-775fps impact. The 45 colts 250 gold dot bullet seems to do the same. The 200 and 185 grain bullets seem to need a bit more velocity to be reliable. These bullets even with the terrible BC will still only lose about 10fps every 10 yards, so starting out 900fps, they will still be running 800fps+ at 80 yards which will be pushing the trajectory, but still expanding. Tests on the 230 gold dot show it still holding together at impacts around 1000fps, by 1100 it fragments. The 200 is a harder bullet, I think the yanks actually have a handgun load where its pushed 1050fps without issues. Obviously there are the options of cast bullets and other brands as well.

This link is a bunch of 45 acp bullet tests just to get an idea of some of the 45 bullets out there.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/sel...c-tests/#45ACP
    Last edited by sixtus; 18-11-2019 at 08:57 PM.