Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By csmiffy
  • 2 Post By marky123
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry

Thread: Enfields.

Enfields.

We've all heard how the P14, No 4 and P17 are superior in bolt and breech strength to the No1 Mk111. I was just wondering if anyone had actual first hand or reliable real world knowledge of just how much stronger the later rifles are?
    Has there been record of failure from aged metal, over done hand loads etc? The discussion seems to crop up a lot when hand loads are discussed concerning the wildcatting of the .303. The No1 Mk111 is always noted as been inferior when filling the cases and by a fairly large degree. Are they really a time bomb in waiting?

The P14/17 models are a mauser type action and just as strong although there is a lot of scuttlebutt out there about eddystone actions being brittle/hard from poor heat treating and barrels being super tight with their removal causing small cracks in the receiver. One comment I found was there was double the amount of eddystones mad than the others so any failures would be pronounced although on average just the same.
    They were used for a shit ton of magnum calibre conversions right up past 458.
    I cant see how the original 303's were any worse than any others until they got to the no4.
    And no I wouldn't be trying to hot rod them too much myself in the weaker actions although when I do start with my p14 based model e's I might a little.
    Nick Harveys reloading data for the 303-25 suggested 2-3 grains more would be possible in the P14 action
    outlander likes this.

Ian Skennerton's book,The British Service Lee is a bit of a bible for info.He said the smaller lug would often give way if wet ammunition was fired often enough but I think the action is stretchier rather than a time bomb.
    There is a YT clip of a 300 win mag chambered no4 being fired and this happens.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7bhWxFbYdyw
    Cordite and outlander like this.

Quote Originally Posted by marky123 View Post
    Ian Skennerton's book,The British Service Lee is a bit of a bible for info.He said the smaller lug would often give way if wet ammunition was fired often enough but I think the action is stretchier rather than a time bomb.
    There is a YT clip of a 300 win mag chambered no4 being fired and this happens.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7bhWxFbYdyw
    Well, that was outside the box. Thanks for that,interesting to say the least.

Mr Ackley rated the p14 to 50-52000cup and the old enfields mk1-mk5 to 45000cup. P14's have been used for magnum projects for years with the use of the p17 mag and bottom metal.

I have a p14 barreled action sitting in the safe I got given
    Plan to do something with it one day day as the barrel is fucken awesome probably the best 303 barrel ive seen in person

Mr Ackley Warren Page and others did a lot of testing military actions back in the 50s and 60s with strength tests and re chambering. Failures of the Lee action evidently involved stretching of the receiver and fracture of the smaller lug rather than blowing the bolt through your face. The no4 was pretty much as good as any. Interestingly the Japanese arisaka actions were way stronger than mauser and Springfield and were virtually indestructable.
    outlander likes this.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by rambo-6mmrem View Post
    I have a p14 barreled action sitting in the safe I got given ..Plan to do something with it one day day as the barrel is fucken awesome probably the best 303 barrel ive seen in person
    IMHO a P14 with a barrel which " is fucken awesome" can not be improved upon in anyway..... unless Bubba has "sporterised" it and then only by an original stock replacement

So again, IMHO, I wouldn't f around with it,

The a-square rifles in 577 tyrannosaurus were made on P14 or 17 actions

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    The P14/17 models are a mauser type action and just as strong although there is a lot of scuttlebutt out there about eddystone actions being brittle/hard from poor heat treating and barrels being super tight with their removal causing small cracks in the receiver. One comment I found was there was double the amount of eddystones mad than the others so any failures would be pronounced although on average just the same.
    They were used for a shit ton of magnum calibre conversions right up past 458.
    I cant see how the original 303's were any worse than any others until they got to the no4.
    And no I wouldn't be trying to hot rod them too much myself in the weaker actions although when I do start with my p14 based model e's I might a little.
    Nick Harveys reloading data for the 303-25 suggested 2-3 grains more would be possible in the P14 action
    From "The UK pattern 1913, Pattern 1914 and the US model of 1917 by Marc Gorelick"
    http://www.vgca.net/education/TheUKP...2014-09-17.pdf

For P14 production
    Eddystone: 604xxx
    Winchester: 235xxx
    Remington: 403xxx

Interesting that double the amount of M1917's were produced than P14's

The P14, M1917 rifles were really the unsung hero rifle of WW1 that served well and never really got the credit it deserved.