Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Tentman
  • 1 Post By ChrisW

Thread: 6.5 cartridges listed on Quickload

6.5 cartridges listed on Quickload

Hi, I am a new member to this forum I have been a member of the other one for years but it seems this one has more of the content im interested in.

I am hoping some one here can help me. I am about to buy quickload software but I am unsure if the cartridges im interested in are on the program. I am interested in the 6.5x55 and its IMPROVED variations ie 6.5x55bjai, 6.5x55vais, 6.5gwi, 6.5 addiction are the few i know off but im sure there is more. I have asked the retailer but they didn't know if they would be on the software or not. Ideally if someone on here has quickload could you please provide me with a list of the 6.5 cartridges that are on quickload or alternatively just let me know which of the cartridges i have listed are on the program

I am about to build a custom hunting/target rifle and would like to get quickload first so I can run the numbers to make sure the cartridge and barrel length combo I go for can do what im expecting it to do.

Thanks

Gidday - it has 6.5x55 and 6.5x55 AI BUT you can set up a cartridge from scratch . . . it doesn't have to be in the list. It easy to take a 6.5x55AI and adjust the parameters to any of the variations you mention . . . . The only issue you might have is finding out the case capacity for the more unusal variations, to get really precise results a accurate idea of case volume (in grains of water) is required . . . however you can just estimate it and get a usefull idea of what it might produce.

Cheers
    Tikka7mm08 and chainsaw like this.

Awesome thanks Tentman. I am curious is the 6.5x55AI pressure max higher than the standard 6.5x55? and would I just use the AI Pressure max for the other improved variants as there doesn't seem to be any proper data for them.
    Thanks

You can set the pressure limit you wish to use,
    It will have say a 52000 psi limit for the 6.5x55, ( guessing here) and you can then adjust, to any pressure you desire, so say you have a new model 70 Winchester, that has 270 wsm, in that model, at 63000 psi limit,
    an adjustment to 60000-63000 psi for your 6.5x55, can be set up.
    I do this for my 7x57, as it's very mild loads, because of the many 100 plus year old rifles,

Thanks Southernman, I do intend on running the numbers on the 6.5x55 at around 60,000psi as i believe that's what a 260rem max pressure is. My only concern is weather the brass with its 120 year old case design can handle the pressure considering it was probably never intended to run at pressures that high. I will obviously start low and work up to the charges indicated by quickload looking for pressure signs as I go I will be using new Lapua brass. I think I read somewhere that the 6.5x55ai is loaded to 60,000psi which im hoping is correct, I have also read the best attribute of the ai version is the brass is far more stable and lasts better as the body taper of the original swede causes the brass to flow.
    Thanks

I assumed QL cartridge pressure ratings were based on the cartridge itself and not the action strength for which QL have no idea of what is being used.
    My 6.5x47L for example is QL rated at 63091 psi which is "warm". I know the 6.5x47L is rated as a strong catridge as per Lapua's design, aided by the small rifle primer pocket.

On the other hand QL rates both the standard Swede and the Swede AI both at 55114 psi. So maybe they are second guessing the lowest common denomination rifle action to be used.

The weakness in the catridge is obviously the unsupported base area.

So, I run the Bob Jordan AI version. Unfortunately due to a hard drive crash I have lost my exact data eg case water capacity seating depth etc, but a quick run of rough figures had QL come up with a velocity within fps of my measured velocity. Pressure with my load is calculated at 54862 psi for 3005 fps with a 142 gr moly coated projectile.

The same load in a standard case produces the widow making stats of 67234 psi (lots of red warnings on screen), and 3120 fps. Obviously not a practical or safe load just a play load on QL.

After 7 firings I have some primer pockets getting a bit tired but still safe to use.

Also, I have experienced virtually zero brass flow throughout (part of the claimed advantage of the 40 degree shoulder). And brass flow is something I take great care to watch for as I run a very tight neck.

Also, supposedly bolt thrust is better managed with the Ackley due to the lesser slope mmm angle of the case walls.
    I guess then the weaknesses are back to the unsupported base section.

Quickload max pressures are mainly based on either CIP (European) or SAMMI (US) specs - these are manufacturers standards that the rifle and ammo maker adhere to so each knows what the other is doing. Wildcats are bit different but the designer will generally specify a max based on several variables (including case design).

If you use euro brass for your 6.5x55 based wildcat then you can probably exceed CIP by a fair bit (personally I'd be satisfied with around 60,000 psi in a modern action design) if the rifle action and chamber design are up to it.

With the Swede AI you just don't need to go to 60k, according to what QL is telling me with my bjai, and how much harder would you want to go than 3000 fps/142 gr?
    If you need to go harder another catridge choice is required.
    That is if QL predictions are believable, and with some powders QL just doesn't gel with real world velocity results.

As I said my pp's are starting to get loose after 7 firings (Lapua brass). I actually took mine up to 3120 fps during load development with superb accuracy. I just knew that that it wasn't a place to be permanently. Observed concerning head expansion and pp loosening at that velocity whilst at 3000 fps/54800 psi things are reasonably stable/safe, in my rifle. YMMV.

Zimmer thanks for the info, what exactly do you mean by unsupported base area? Are you referring to the small rifle cases having more brass in the base so can handle higher pressure ie just small primer vs large primer cases or are you saying that there is a inherent weakness in the base area of the 6.5x55 case design? I have read a couple of conflicting things on this subject but never got a useful answer either way.

I am a long time fan of the old 6.5x55 the only thing that puts a slight dampener on it is the old case design and effects on pressure/efficiency compared to the newer cartridges. I’m glad to hear your ai has lived up to claims around brass flow and with that sort of velocity for the lower pressure it seems like a winner.

If you don’t mind saying what length barrel have you got and what powder?. Do you have any lower power loads? I quite like the 6.5x55 for the fact you can run at low power standard Swede/260/creedmore loads for general purpose shorter range work but can ramp up the velocity for long range and particularly the ai version might have the horse power for the 147-155 range projectiles
    Have you tried the 150’s at all?
    Thanks

Have not read whole thread, but I would think that all you would need to do to get it fairly accurate with an AI /wildcat cartridge is to run it as the parent cartridge, but alter the case capacity to reflect your true case capacity.
    As far as im aware "AI" cartridges do not necessarily run at a higher pressure. AI-ing a cartridge increases its case capacity. Increased case capacity allows you to add more powder, and get more velocity while keeping pressure the same.
    Moa Hunter likes this.