Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: 6.5 grendel projectiles and powder results.

6.5 grendel projectiles and powder results.

Hey guys,

Can I get a list of projectiles/powders you used and the results for a 6.5g ? Preferably from shortened barrell rifles.

Really appreciated,

Additionally, what would you throw out a short barrel 6.5g to target fallow/red deer head shots??

Thanks
    Lars

I used Bm8208 and 123gr ELD-M or matchkings in the grendel I had. Shot extremely well. That was in a 18" barrelled rifle(unfortunately sacrificed in the name of public safety).

Thabks nzshoota, do you remember what amount if bm8208you used? Might help me start with a base figure atleast

Currently, Benchmark 8208 for 100gr and up, and Benchmark 2 for anything under. I'm also going to try SMP 763 with 130's once the range re-opens. H335 has also worked very well for me in the past.

I've had one Grendel that would show pressure signs when approaching anything close to max, and another that scoffs at "max" and begs for more powder. I suspect subtle variations in chamber design (Grendel has been through a couple of iterations) play a large part in this. Hence, as with any cartridge, but especially this one, you should absolutely be doing your own workup.

Both mine were/are 20". Whilst some point out that the faster powders finish burning in much shorter barrels and they get acceptable speeds, the pressure curve is still accelerating the bullet beyond the point where combustion finishes, so having more barrel still helps eek out the maximum potential of the cartridge (or at the very least gets those same acceptable speeds with less pressure).

IMO, this is important with Grendel, depending on what you want to use it for, because unlike say a short barrelled 308 - which will still lob bullets with enough speed/energy to put stuff down cleanly well beyond the limit of the average shooters ability, say 400-500m - Grendel's effective range on larger game is already less than that. So the more speed you can retain, the more you'll find yourself limited by what you can do vs what the cartridge can.

Keep it as long as you can

Edit. Nosler Ballistic Tips for hunting, any day of the week.
    Mathias and Steelisreal like this.

90gn Speer hp in front of 26gns of 2207 for a little over 2800fps out of a 20inch barreled Howa mini action stainless. Very accurate & deadly on goats & deer.
    They don't go far except down.
    300CALMAN and Steelisreal like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tararua Phil View Post
    90gn Speer hp in front of 26gns of 2207 for a little over 2800fps out of a 20inch barreled Howa mini action stainless. Very accurate & deadly on goats & deer.
    Agree, those 90 gn tnt and 2207 are a great combo and cheap.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by Pommy View Post
    Currently, Benchmark 8208 for 100gr and up, and Benchmark 2 for anything under. I'm also going to try SMP 763 with 130's once the range re-opens. H335 has also worked very well for me in the past.

I've had one Grendel that would show pressure signs when approaching anything close to max, and another that scoffs at "max" and begs for more powder. I suspect subtle variations in chamber design (Grendel has been through a couple of iterations) play a large part in this. Hence, as with any cartridge, but especially this one, you should absolutely be doing your own workup.

Both mine were/are 20". Whilst some point out that the faster powders finish burning in much shorter barrels and they get acceptable speeds, the pressure curve is still accelerating the bullet beyond the point where combustion finishes, so having more barrel still helps eek out the maximum potential of the cartridge (or at the very least gets those same acceptable speeds with less pressure).

IMO, this is important with Grendel, depending on what you want to use it for, because unlike say a short barrelled 308 - which will still lob bullets with enough speed/energy to put stuff down cleanly well beyond the limit of the average shooters ability, say 400-500m - Grendel's effective range on larger game is already less than that. So the more speed you can retain, the more you'll find yourself limited by what you can do vs what the cartridge can.

Keep it as long as you can

Edit. Nosler Ballistic Tips for hunting, any day of the week.
    Well put, each rifle to their own liking. 8208 worked better than CFE223 in mine with the 120-123gr. I haven't bothered with lighter as mine is just for out to 250 at max.
    Pommy likes this.

Ok great, so, also... what's wrong with using other powders?

I have viht n150 that I use and have great results out if my 308, I was using ar2217 in my 7mm mag, but sold that now so have half a container of that.

And I use rl26 for my 300wm and my 6 5 prc.

Would the n150 or the 2217 be any good iut if a short barrell 6.5 g? Is it safe to try these sorts if powders?

Quote Originally Posted by Tararua Phil View Post
    I'm interested to hear what sort of shots you've been successful with on deer with this bullet? Given its sold by Speer as a TNT ie soft and explody (it's a word!) you wouldn't expect it to hold together that well? I realise that real world experience and labels/marketing terms often don't align. And the lower speed range of the Grendel must help in this regard?

I really wanted to use this bullet in my Creedmoor but it just won't group it in a useful way. @Pommy's Grendel and 6.5 Lapua absolutely love it. As ever, all rifles are different!

Quote Originally Posted by Larskramer View Post
    Ok great, so, also... what's wrong with using other powders?

I have viht n150 that I use and have great results out if my 308, I was using ar2217 in my 7mm mag, but sold that now so have half a container of that.

And I use rl26 for my 300wm and my 6 5 prc.

Would the n150 or the 2217 be any good iut if a short barrell 6.5 g? Is it safe to try these sorts if powders?
    No, they're both far too slow. Safe? Probably. Pointless? Absolutely. Go grab yourself some Benchmark 8208.
    GWH, Mathias and Larskramer like this.

I use win 748, CFE.223 and IMR 3031 in my 6.5 Grendel, still working up loads, been at a stall cause of Covid-19, 3031 is looking very nice, with a 107 Serria, and 123 SST showing good accuracy with 748.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelisreal View Post
    I'm interested to hear what sort of shots you've been successful with on deer with this bullet? Given its sold by Speer as a TNT ie soft and explody (it's a word!) you wouldn't expect it to hold together that well? I realise that real world experience and labels/marketing terms often don't align. And the lower speed range of the Grendel must help in this regard?

I really wanted to use this bullet in my Creedmoor but it just won't group it in a useful way. @Pommy's Grendel and 6.5 Lapua absolutely love it. As ever, all rifles are different!
    I mainly go for the lung shot (broadside) as they're a varmint proj as you say, so if it hits a rib it pulverises the internal tissue so they don't go far. If it's close that I can neck or head shoot (my eyes aren't getting any better due to age) then the result's = lights out for them.
    Goats go down with shoulder shots...no worries when hit in shoulder/neck area as one can imagine & on raking shots they do tend to run a bit but don't last long. Internal tissue damage is messy. I haven't used heavier proj yet as these seem to do the job so far for me.
    Steelisreal likes this.

Cfe223 was the go to in my old howa which I sold
    I have another howa Grendel on order a heavy barrel one
    Cfe223 will be the 1st powder I try when it arrives

Alot of good info on www.65Grendel.com

Cfe223 was the go to in my old howa which I sold
    I have another howa Grendel on order a heavy barrel one
    Cfe223 will be the 1st powder I try when it arrives

Alot of good info on www.65Grendel.com

I'm going for cfe223 behind some hornady 95g vmax, have a few 120g eldmatch, and a few 129g interlocks to try also. So out of those will hopfully have a good load.