Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
Like Tree190Likes

Thread: 6.5 PRC Load Development Begins

Quote Originally Posted by Kelton View Post
    That’s way to hot mate dangerously fast for the combo my 6.5 saum did 3080fps with the 156 with rl26 and that was hot backed down to 3000 the saum has greater case capacity and rl26 is faster for less pressure I was at 62gns of rl26 . Prcs seem to run 2900 well with 22” barrels and rl26 I’d be looking for a node at 2950ish with 2217 and 24” . For example of speed and pressure it takes me 3gns less with reloader 26 for 50fps faster and no pressure than it did to get 50fps less and on right on the ruggered edge of pressure for 2217
    Thank you for coming with actual figures, I knew he was way hot just from his description but having no load data or experience with the prc, I was just going off his description of what he experienced.
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by matto1234 View Post
    It had no pressure signs at all at 60.2, and even 60.4 was minor so somewhere between the two seems sensible? I want to get the most out of it without blowing my face off
    Hornady brass gets ejector marks as soon as you look at it so its not the best to go by but 60.6 was definitely too hot
    Agree with others, back off and look for accuracy. Don't bother chasing velocity as anything even 2700fps+ is going to kill a loooong way out there.
    Assume you'll be dialling your scope anyway so trying to squeeze velocity makes no sense. Even in the wind you're pushing pressure for no tangible benefit.

I act on the side of caution now I was lucky to have no accidents. Theirs no requirements,formwork or education around reloading safe practices required here in NZ I don’t no if their is anywhere in the world. that’s were being on this forum is invaluable a wealth of knowledge from everybody’s personal experiences. I think back to some of the velocity’s I pushed with bullet weights I shouldn’t have in cartridges I most certainly shouldn’t have and I quiver a lot of research goes in now days
    Tikka7mm08 and dannyb like this.

I act on the side of caution now I was lucky to have no accidents. Theirs no requirements,formwork or education around reloading safe practices required here in NZ I don’t no if their is anywhere in the world. that’s were being on this forum is invaluable a wealth of knowledge from everybody’s personal experiences. I think back to some of the velocity’s I pushed with bullet weights I shouldn’t have in cartridges I most certainly shouldn’t have and I quiver a lot of research goes in now days
    Likewise very sage advice
    #DANNYCENT

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    How much 2217 @Tahr?

I'm leaning towards 22" and unsurpressed.
    Yes. If I did again I would go 22 inches
    Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing, and right-doing, there is a field. I will meet you there.
    - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    Where the heck did you find an 8lb tub of superformance
    @dannyb that is privileged information lol
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Any progress updates ? I’m new to the 6.5prc and have also gone down the rabbit hole with reloading. Got out on Sunday to confirm trajectory and dial up is on track and really pleased so far.

Quote Originally Posted by matto1234 View Post
    It had no pressure signs at all at 60.2, and even 60.4 was minor so somewhere between the two seems sensible? I want to get the most out of it without blowing my face off
    Hornady brass gets ejector marks as soon as you look at it so its not the best to go by but 60.6 was definitely too hot
    What danny b said.

Sent from my SM-A226B using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

I've started to run low on Re26 and have gotten frustrated with erratic behaviour from it at times anyway, so just switched to AR2225...

Name:  20220801_150702.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  1.87 MB

Both the last groups come in at 0.290" and 59.2gr was a mild 2980 with good ES/SD.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

Interesting what was your 26 speed and charge? I was under the impression it’d be no good because iv being told no good in saum good to see some real world

Right around the Hornady "max" for similar speed.

@Pommy they are some great groups there.

My own little rule of thumb where these three powders are applicable is under 70gns RL26 and fed 210 over 70gn either 2225 or 2217 and fed 215 it’s not the rules but iv found it to work very well each powder has it quirks with the latter shinning when you can fit enough in a case(over 70) and a heavish for cal bullet
    I'm using <70gr of 2217 in a 300WSM with 225gr ELD's and Fed 215's. <45gr in a 22-250AI and 88gr ELD's with Fed210's. <60gr in a 284WIN with 180gr ELD's and Fed210's (holy shit it's becoming clear how much of a Hornady fanboy I am). All three of these are virtually full cases and Re26 gives more velocity in all three instances... but that's kinda to be expected what with it being double based. My understanding is Re26's burn rate is right around that of AR2217 but it's a fair bit more energy dense.

But... if the case capacity allows it (which those examples do not), AR2225 is just that bit slower allowing you to add enough extra to match the speeds that Re26 offers. 6.5 PRC seems to be right at that sweet spot and running the numbers in GRT, I could push that load up to 3090 with AR2225 whereas Re26 would top out about 3060.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

That's interesting. I love ADI powders (Hodgdon)...what is supply of 2225 like at the moment? A 24" barrel like mine can make use of a slower powder.

Quote Originally Posted by Tikka7mm08 View Post
    That's interesting. I love ADI powders (Hodgdon)...what is supply of 2225 like at the moment? A 24" barrel like mine can make use of a slower powder.
    Probably only a fraction better than rl26 supply, you'll be lucky to find it in retail stores until next shipment
    #DANNYCENT