Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 3 Post By Beetroot
  • 1 Post By Longrun
  • 1 Post By csmiffy
  • 2 Post By 6.5 CRD
  • 1 Post By Skirch
  • 1 Post By Beetroot
  • 1 Post By Pommy

Thread: 6.5 staball vs 2209

6.5 staball vs 2209

Anyone know the speed difference between 6.5 staball and 2209 powder? Say I loaded 42g of powder of each. What powder would be faster?
    I shoot 2209 but looking at trying the 6.5 staball powder.

That's a bit of a weirdly phrased question. Can you explain why it should matter?

If you want to try it, go get some. Look up the load data from Hodgdon (that will give you an idea of what kinda top end speeds you can expect) then work up from the starting charge.

42gr of StaBall will probably give a different speed vs 42gr of 2209. But it's not a foregone conclusion that 42gr should be the amount you use. They'll each have a different published max charge and then in testing you'll will probably find pressures at different charge weights and velocities again.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

StaBall should be faser but being a ball power you will likely find you are able to fit more powder into the case than 2209, so you'll get higher velocities but be burning more powder (not a crazy amount though).
    StaBall should get you similar speeds to SuperFormance (and more temperature stable) but less speed than RL26.

Theres lots of info about the powder over on Snipershide. If you are looking at American forums for comparisions, 2209 is the same powder as H4350.
    I was going to use it as the velocity looks to be a decent improvement over 2209 but decided I wanted the better temperature stability of 2209, and didn't want to waste primers developing a new load.
    BSA, dannyb and tikka6.5 like this.

Ive a stash that I'll use in 250savage,260,6.5x55,and 708 after my w760 runs out.
    tikka6.5 likes this.

Quickly looked up the data for stability 6.5 for the 243 on the hogdon site.
    Got a 100gps and change over 2209 but their max pressure was 8000psi higher too. Obviously there is the science of slower powders pushing for longer so potentially the pressure is lower but for longer
    tikka6.5 likes this.

Thanks Beetroot. Yes I love the loads I'm doing with 2209 but just unsure when it and primers will be back on the shelves. Can get 6.5 staball but don't want to waste the few primers I have on load development. Could be a good back up powder though.
    Cheers

Pommy. With 2209 and primers not in supply and not willing to give a kidney to some ahole on trade me. I was looking for a possible back up powder that may give me similar results. New to reloading and don't have the money to try different powders so just wonder what would be a good compromise and 6.5 staball in stock.

6.5 Staball will give more speed but at the sacrifice of temp sensitivity. If you have a good load sorted already with 2209, i would stick with that. If you look hard enough, you will find some. Bit of H4350 which is the same powder floating around too.
    dannyb and tikka6.5 like this.

Man, your probably stressing over nothing. Just do some ladder testing to make sure it's safe and put a new load together. They designed it to be less temp sensitive than normal ball powders. And will you actually know the difference?
    If your not shooting long range, then don't worry about it. And if you are, just account for it.
    tikka6.5 likes this.

Last time I looked there was still some 2209 floating around the latest shipment of ADI didn't sell out instantly like previous ones.

If you have ample primers then go ahead and develop a load with StaBall, if you are run low then I'd try H4350 (which is in stock a few places) and just try your 2209.

You really should back your load off 10% and work up, but of you aren't running it stupid hot then I'd just try H4350.
    If you are reloading 42gr of 2209 with a 120-140gr bullet at a reasonable seating depth then I'd personally just load up H4350.
    If you want to be safe (and you probably should be) then load up 5 rounds 1gr below, 5 at 0.5gr below and 5 at your current load.
    tikka6.5 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by tikka6.5 View Post
    Pommy. With 2209 and primers not in supply and not willing to give a kidney to some ahole on trade me. I was looking for a possible back up powder that may give me similar results. New to reloading and don't have the money to try different powders so just wonder what would be a good compromise and 6.5 staball in stock.
    You should be able to use StaBall to drive a 130-143gr bullet to at least the same velocity as you get with 2209. So yes it's a viable backup option in that sense.

It might not be 42gr that does it and it might not group the same, have the same ES/SD, or be quite as temp stable (despite the name). All things that may or may not matter to you.
    tikka6.5 likes this.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

Thanks for the great advice everyone. Appreciate it. 👍