Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: 6.5 what

6.5 what

Evening all,

30 year old builder grew up around the Wanganui area hunting Fallow deer goats all shapes and sizes of game birds possums rabbits all the usual things a young kiwi lad chases.

Age 19 I moved down south centred in Christchurch I soon developed a love for public land adventures hitting the hills every chance I got . I soon focused all my attention to bull Tahr tracking down my fair share of crackers and having a blast with mates along the way. At the time I had no interest in Chamois and am now back in the North Island kicking myself a little. none the less iv being lucky enough to get down to Stewart island twice and nail my first white tail .I had a nice teaser trip around turangi/waiuru last year which has left me excited to get in and have another look at a new animal . I look forward to reporting on missions picking brains and hopefully having decent input on topics.

iv got big 7mm magnums that a very much alpine rigs and am thinking a 260 as a general hunting rig for around the north island here bit of a shorter barrel less weight point shoot sort of gun my thoughts have being rem model 7 but the barrels paper thin and id still like to stretch the legs out to 500yrds max accurately and reliable if I had to when glassing slips I come across while bush hunting any thoughts on the 260 from people who have them pros cons iv dug back threw a lot of old thread and had a good read they seem popular iv just read very mixed reviews on the accuracy in the model 7 mainly international sites but none the less some fresh local experience would be nice . im open to the good the bad recommendations on other cals etc.

cheers

A .260 is the ducks nuts perfect for what you want.
    I wouldn't go model 7 as magazine is too short to seat the bullets out if loading the 143 range of projectiles.
    I would suggest a Tikka with a long mag and bolt stop cut the barrel to 18 or 20" and put a DPT on it and you are ready to go.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam likes this.

6.5 is a great choice and it doesn’t really matter what cartridge it’s launched from in my opinion.
    As to the model 7 I have no personal experience so won’t comment on that model , but will say I’ve owned 3 model 700 Rem’s and I dont own any of them still .
    Just didn’t like the build quality and performance.
    veitnamcam and Beaker like this.
    FALL IN LOVE WITH THE NUMBERS , NOT THE IDEA

brilliant thanks for that I like the sound of 20'' I was hopefully to stay away from the ticks this time but they are hard to pass up

Gone but not forgotten
    If you don't reload buying ammo could be an issue. GC and H&F in Hamilton don't have any 260rem, other 6.5's they do.

If i was buying a 6.5 id get the bagera stainless one that humping and fisting are selling in 6.5 creedmoor .Its stainless and it has a 22 inch barrel . The reason id go creedmoor is its so well supported ammo wise with cases and components .while the 260 is not so well of in that respect. And then there are also more rifle options .

6.5 x 55 swede, tikka, in a chassis. 805 yards 2nd round (fucked the calc.. Was 1in low....) hit on 12in plate, and 3rd.....

Tikka just works.
    Remington you buy then add/replace to make it work.
    grandpamac likes this.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

cheers Cigar, I do reload also another important piece of information I left out .
    I was thinking a Barnes TSX or one of the 139-143gn range available but will play with that at a later date.
    Iv never being fussed about chasing speed so once I find accuracy that's where Im happy 18-20'' dpt hand loads
    .260s sounding like the one for me smaller and more suited to my meat hunts on farm yet still stretch reliable

i had a great time with an old carl gustov swede it was a ripper set alot of animals and it was stone cold kill shots to great shooter

Quote Originally Posted by Beaker View Post
    6.5 x 55 swede, tikka, in a chassis. 805 yards 2nd round (fucked the calc.. Was 1in low....) hit on 12in plate, and 3rd.....

Tikka just works.
    Remington you buy then add/replace to make it work.
    timattalon likes this.

[anyone had a play with the bagera? iv not heard feedback yet

QUOTE=wayno;962846]If i was buying a 6.5 id get the bagera stainless one that humping and fisting are selling in 6.5 creedmoor .Its stainless and it has a 22 inch barrel . The reason id go creedmoor is its so well supported ammo wise with cases and components .while the 260 is not so well of in that respect. And then there are also more rifle options .[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Kelton View Post
    cheers Cigar, I do reload also another important piece of information I left out .
    I was thinking a Barnes TSX or one of the 139-143gn range available but will play with that at a later date.
    Iv never being fussed about chasing speed so once I find accuracy that's where Im happy 18-20'' dpt hand loads
    .260s sounding like the one for me smaller and more suited to my meat hunts on farm yet still stretch reliable
    you will probably find you MUCH MUCH better off with monos by going as light as you can get them for calibre.....eg in poohseventy the 110gen is the best......its a balancing act way more than with cup n core...you dont need mass/weight as it doesnt shed weight...you do need speed as speed/spin help it to open up properly when you do the maths the lighter round starting out faster isnt caught up by heavier round untill you get out past point n shoot range for energy and thus terminal preformance.... thats my take on it anyway.
    oh and 6.5/06 just cause its differnt
    veitnamcam likes this.

In the same boat here, been tossing up between 260, 6.5x55 and 6.5 Creedmoor for months.
    Leaning towards the 6.5x55.

Let us know how you get on.
    Beaker, timattalon, Tech and 1 others like this.

Believe me the 6.5*55 with either 143gn ELDX or Sierra 140gn sbt is extremely accurate. Ask the Hunter class shooters out to 600yds at Te Puke. Schultz and Larsen.
    17brno, Beaker, timattalon and 1 others like this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

If you're reloading with a modern rifle then 6.5 SE has the largest case capacity compared with 260 or creedmoor.

I'd probably go with the creedmoor. Easier to find premium ammo with decent velocity. Swedish and 260 have limited choice
    grandpamac likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    If you're reloading with a modern rifle then 6.5 SE has the largest case capacity compared with 260 or creedmoor.

I'd probably go with the creedmoor. Easier to find premium ammo with decent velocity. Swedish and 260 have limited choice
    Yeah I must admit after owning and shooting a few unicorn cals, it is nice to know I can buy a box of ammo here and there if needed. Still seems to be the odd box of swede around but no 260.6.5 creed is everywhere.
    grandpamac likes this.