Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: 6.5 x 55 Arch Improved Load Data

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Here is his blurb from Vol 1. Use with extreme care. I wouldn't use old data (1962) trying to relate it to modern powders even if the recipe numbers are the same.
    Developed by Dr E L Arch of Wenetche, Washington
    Attachment 230989
    Bugger, you will need to turn your sceen on its side :-)
    Has anyone every seen the 200gr Barnes bullets listed? Must have been a long bullet in 6.5mm...

Walking my rifle
    Use the load data for the standard 6.5x55 using 2209 aka H4350 and just start somehwere near the top and work up from there.
    If you can't kill it with bullets, dont f*ck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by astridhunterchch View Post
    Honestly, I'm not really sure, but something in either IMR or Hodgdon, whatever is available (something very similar to AR2209.)

The cartridge is extremely accurate with moderate 2209 loads, but because the shoulder angle is blown out to 30 degree's, it can be a bit tricky with pressure problems. I tried some AR2213 a friend had in his loading cupboard, but it's too slow and caused pressure issues.
    Hi, Custom Guns in Invercargill has some 2209, I could pick it up for you, I'm not coming up any time soon but I'm sure we could find someone traveling to Chch that could bring it with them, PM me if this would help.
    Micky Duck and rewa like this.

Quote Originally Posted by astridhunterchch View Post
    The case body is basically without a taper (almost parallel), with the 140gn boat tail match projectile seated fully forward. My 6.5 Arch Imp is a little different, as I lathed the Norma case rims back to flush so it could be used on a standard Remington 700 bolt face (like the 30-06, 270 etc). This meant I could run higher pressures than could normally be used on a Swedish 96 or 38 Mauser action. Of course the inside throat has been reamed, and outside turned, and the primer pockets and flash holes uniformed. The AR2209 loads averaged 2980fps with pinpoint accuracy.

Many years ago I used this calibre for 500m Fly Matches on a sleeved Remington 700 action, but these days I just have a custom Sauer 90 hunting rifle that was re-barreled from 30-06 to 6.5 Arch Imp
    If you hit pressure with 2213 I’d think you’ll hit pressure earlier and at slower speed with 2209.
    If you still have case capacity with the 2213 then I’ll go for a slower powder than 2213, rather than a faster one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Moa Hunter and rewa like this.