Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree114Likes

Thread: 6.5CM craze

Damn. Now 6.5CM is a machine gun round, and we'll never hear the end of it!
    Got Juice? likes this.

I'd like to know what powder recipe they are using for the military rounds, and what velocity they have settled on.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    I'd like to know what powder recipe they are using for the military rounds, and what velocity they have settled on.
    They are currently testing with Sellier & Bellot SB65A
    FMJ 140 GR ammo, muzzle velocity acording to S&Bs info it is 2657 fps from a 22" barrel. They are loaded with a cz made commercial ball powder.
    There are a few vids on youtube of guys testing them in bolt rifles running 2750ish in 24" barrels.
    Micky Duck likes this.

SOCOM did a test on 6.5 CM vs. 7.62 NATO and 6.5 has much tighter groups, less wind drift, carries more energy and accuracy at 1000 metres and has more terminal distance.

So it's being adopted for it's semi auto designated marksman rifles and now for it's machine guns and nope this one is not a craze. It does the job better than 7.62 NATO/308 Win with no downside to it.

Does that make 308 Win/7.62 NATO dead? No, it's still a great cartridge that works fine.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    SOCOM did a test on 6.5 CM vs. 7.62 NATO and 6.5 has much tighter groups, less wind drift, carries more energy and accuracy at 1000 metres and has more terminal distance.

So it's being adopted for it's semi auto designated marksman rifles and now for it's machine guns and nope this one is not a craze. It does the job better than 7.62 NATO/308 Win with no downside to it.

Does that make 308 Win/7.62 NATO dead? No, it's still a great cartridge that works fine.
    They also found that marksmanship improved almost 40% for the AVG soldier increasing 1st round hit probability by 33% Which is quite an achievement.

sometimes it would be nice if they compared apples with apples..... bet your left testicle that test was done with the most efficent projectile weight and shape for 6.5 and a bog std one for the 7.62....what is it they use??? 144grn or some such...poke out say a 165 sleak n slippery design and see results.
    Huk likes this.

Recent historic documents have surfaced, possibly fake, that the Third Reich was settling on 6.5 as the ideal calibre towards the end of WW2.

Sorry about the language - warning not for children.

Puffin, 10-Ring, jackson21 and 2 others like this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

The 6.5 creedmore is here to stay, the new gun sales in creedmore, supersede all other 6.5 combined, at least in North America, so I've been informed at the last gun show, by three different large dealers in attendance,
    I've got 4, 6.5 cal, a .264 win and .260 in NZ and a creedmore and 6.5x54 mannlicher in Canada, I've not fired a shot out of the LAW creedmore, can't get interested in it, the 1903 mannlicher, is so much more fun, had both out yesterday, thought to myself, really must sight this in, and then picked up the mannlicher, wandered out to shed, and put another 100, 160 gr round nose hornardy, over top of 38 gr H4350, Double rifles, and carbine, vintage stalking rifles, are just that much better handling.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Recent historic documents have surfaced, possibly fake, that the Third Reich was settling on 6.5 as the ideal calibre towards the end of WW2....
    Clever video taken from that great movie, 'Downfall'.

Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    It was designed for American cross the course match shooting at 200 300 600 yards it has lower recoil than the .308 and heavier projectiles than the 5.56
    and has better 1000 yard performance than the other two, For a pure hunting 6.5 the 6.5x55 is all you need with 140 gr bullet for long range and 156 gr RN in the bush.
    120's knock them over well too, I prefer them over 140's out to 200
    johnd likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bol Tackshin View Post
    Here is/was one - a 6.5mm Japanese Type 99 LMG.

Name:  d715451cc8618a3899e713b2c68c3c02.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  30.0 KB

Beautifully worked guns, from the spiral barrel air cooling fin to the wooden carrying handle. A controllable 5-600 rpm with 9kg gun weight, 30rd banana magazines.

Notice the very practical tall bipod legs, allowing for shooting over cover as well as in tall undergrowth.
    Last edited by Cordite; 04-06-2019 at 12:54 AM.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bol Tackshin View Post
    "when you care enough to send the very best" USSOCOM

(Pirated the expression from an old FTD commercial)

It's a very good little cartridge and is well supported by good quality, accurate factory ammo, but other than that it really doesn't add anything that .260, 6.5 x 55 Swedish and 6.5 x 47 Lapua can already do. OK, it's shorter than the .260, but not as short as 6.5 x 47 Lapua. Anyway, they all do the job, so take your pick.

Oh, and having worked with the US Army, I wouldn't get excited about the fact that they chose anything.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
    Oh, and having worked with the US Army, I wouldn't get excited about the fact that they chose anything.
    The fact they made a change at all uis momentous. And they chose the 65 Creedmoor.

Long story short 260Rem and 6.5x55 did not meet their requirements. End of story.

I shoot 65 Creedmoor, but I have a real love for the 6.5x47, and have played with a buddies 260 rem. All 3 are great, but I made the switch to 65 Creed, and I am currently enjoying the round.
    rewa likes this.