Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By mimms2
  • 1 Post By Tahr
  • 1 Post By mikee
  • 1 Post By mimms2
  • 2 Post By Marty Henry
  • 1 Post By Tahr

Thread: 62 grn Gold Dots. Any tricks?

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    7,781

    62 grn Gold Dots. Any tricks?

    I can't get the Speer Gold Dots to shoot.
    Have tried a couple of powders and depths. 1moa has been the best.

    Has anyone had luck with them? If so how far off the lands and what power?

    Ive tried them in 1:9 and 1:8 twists.

  2. #2
    I hunt, therefore I am.
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Tai Tokerau
    Posts
    4,158
    1:9 should shoot.
    0.02 jump.
    AR2208 should make it go but probably not reach top velo. How much under 1moa can you shoot??
    Tahr likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by 308
    not smart enough to be useful
    Diligentia Vis Celeritas
    Life Advice

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    7,781
    Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    1:9 should shoot.
    0.02 jump.
    AR2208 should make it go but probably not reach top velo. How much under 1moa can you shoot??
    Have you actually used that load with Gold Dots?
    2208 is usually my last resort with .223 because its usually down on velocity.

    I like to get 3 shots touching if I can with a .223 load. .75" max
    Beaker likes this.

  4. #4
    Member mikee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Nelson, New Zealand
    Posts
    8,333
    I could not get Gold Dots to shoot in any of my AR (before they was brought back). All 1-7 twist and using 2208 or 8208XBR.
    I gave up in the end and went back to swift's (the last box of which I gave away as I no longer have a .223 anymore)
    Tahr likes this.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    7,781
    Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    I could not get Gold Dots to shoot in any of my AR (before they was brought back). All 1-7 twist and using 2208 or 8208XBR.
    I gave up in the end and went back to swift's (the last box of which I gave away as I no longer have a .223 anymore)
    Ta. Its just that .224 bullets are in short supply and I have 120 of them so I thought I might as well use them up on wallaby if I can get them shooting reasonably. I expect they will be a bit hard for them being a bonded bullet but will still work.

  6. #6
    I hunt, therefore I am.
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Tai Tokerau
    Posts
    4,158
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Have you actually used that load with Gold Dots?
    2208 is usually my last resort with .223 because its usually down on velocity.

    I like to get 3 shots touching if I can with a .223 load. .75" max
    Nope. Did have some speer something something shooting OK with 2208, Either 1:11 or 1:12, Probably 64 gn or so. I'd have to go through my notes.
    That's was just my first thinking for a start point. Right about the velo but if they're hanging out a ways on a compressed load you just might make speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by 308
    not smart enough to be useful
    Diligentia Vis Celeritas
    Life Advice

  7. #7
    I hunt, therefore I am.
    Join Date
    Sep 2019
    Location
    Tai Tokerau
    Posts
    4,158
    But precision beats velocity all day long, in my book.
    Husky1600 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by 308
    not smart enough to be useful
    Diligentia Vis Celeritas
    Life Advice

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Hokitika
    Posts
    258
    No luck here either bruce. I tried BMII and 2206h. 2" groups.... No good anyway.... to hard pencil on through a deer even...
    Using 70gn speer #1053.. easy load up. Everything @ max load superb and plenty available....

  9. #9
    Member Marty Henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Tararua
    Posts
    4,563
    1 moa should be enough for wallabies unless you like to shoot them in the eye.
    I've stopped loading 223 for them and goats and gone to the belmont black 62 grain and save my pricy hand loads for deer and other special occasions.
    Micky Duck and mimms2 like this.

  10. #10
    Member Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Temuka
    Posts
    1,459
    @Tahr this may be of some help to you https://youtu.be/LZevnNZwseM


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "O what a day, what a lovely day"

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    7,781
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
    @Tahr this may be of some help to you https://youtu.be/LZevnNZwseM



    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Thanks for this.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    616
    I sent you my load with the 55's. Optimum barrel time was the answer for them in my 223.

    I found at 250m that the performance on goats - even with solid shoulder shots - wasn't great. Speed was bleeding off too much and they were starting to pencil. The animals still dropped from the initial shock but they were getting back up due to a lack of trauma.

    Dunno exactly at what range/speed they stopped performing well but I reckon sub 150m they'll still go well on most stuff including deer.
    Resident 6.5 Grendel aficionado.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    7,781
    Quote Originally Posted by Pommy View Post
    I sent you my load with the 55's. Optimum barrel time was the answer for them in my 223.

    I found at 250m that the performance on goats - even with solid shoulder shots - wasn't great. Speed was bleeding off too much and they were starting to pencil. The animals still dropped from the initial shock but they were getting back up due to a lack of trauma.

    Dunno exactly at what range/speed they stopped performing well but I reckon sub 150m they'll still go well on most stuff including deer.
    @Pommy I'm out of the 55 gold dot (gave some to a forum member) but even after your very good advice I gave up on them. I got the 55 Sierra game king shooting really well and they perform really well on wallaby - but then they became unavailable.
    Ive had the GK on indent with Outdoors Supplies for a month but had given up on them until March or so but lo and behold 400 arrived by courier today. Great service.

    I will still give the 62 GD another try just out of curiosity.
    Micky Duck likes this.

  14. #14
    Member Micky Duck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Geraldine
    Posts
    8,472
    vmax......they work good...that said I poked 130 x 52grn hps into cases last weekend....that should last me a month or so LOL.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    NI
    Posts
    7,781
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    vmax......they work good...that said I poked 130 x 52grn hps into cases last weekend....that should last me a month or so LOL.
    Virtually impossible to get.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Swap: Red dots for vortex 1-4?
    By Waldo Peens in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27-10-2020, 11:03 AM
  2. FS: FS Red dots
    By matzka07 in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-06-2020, 03:59 PM
  3. speer gold dots
    By northdude in forum Reloading and Ballistics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 30-11-2019, 07:55 PM
  4. red dots
    By Tertle in forum Game Bird Hunting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 23-04-2019, 05:40 PM
  5. Red dots or Low mag scopes WTB
    By hanse in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 10-07-2013, 07:55 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!