Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree16Likes
  • 5 Post By MB
  • 3 Post By Ftx325
  • 2 Post By MB
  • 2 Post By mikee
  • 1 Post By Flyblown
  • 1 Post By m101a1
  • 2 Post By Cigar

Thread: Hornady Sub-X ammunition - total crap!

MB

Hornady Sub-X ammunition - total crap!

I've made a few posts about this subsonic ammo before, mainly it's ineffectiveness in killing animals due to lack of projectile expansion. Anyway, I finally got around to putting some supersonics in my 300BLK (Hornady FTX). Shiver me timbers, this stuff works! It blows big holes in things and they fall over dead on the spot.

As an added insult, the FTX rounds are no louder than Sub-X, so as a forum member has suggested to me in the past, the Sub-X were probably supersonic all along. Having only otherwise fired 270/308/7mm08, I didn't have much to compare to and neither 300BLK round is actually that loud. I've been hunting with one hand tied behind my back for no good reason for sometime now, only taking headshots! No doubt, my stalking skills have improved.

In summary, Sub-X rounds are not subsonic through a 16.5 inch barrel. They are loud and ineffective. Do not buy!

What weight FTX 160gns??

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    What weight FTX 160gns??
    135gr

I had one box that went super, took them back to where I bought them and they exchanged it for another box, so try that.
    I think you’ve got to lower your expectations when shooting subs. They certainly kill effectively if you put it in the right spot

I will try and find the video I have of a mate shooting 308 subs at goats. maybe 50 M away. just pokes through like it was nothing. Supers bang flopped it quick sharp.

We use the FTX supers in supersonic in three calibres -357 , 7.62x39, and the dino gun .
    They certainly do a number but the smaller rounds do not seem to penetrate very deep if they hit something solid . We have head shot both wild sheep and goats with the 357 at a range of around 10 meters (the goat between the eyes and sheep through the side) and neither round came out the other side, they appear to just explode on impact.
    The dino gun not so much but being a heavier 325gr round must retain enough weight to keep on going .
    We have also found in some calibres/rifles the accuracy is average to say the least . Our 30/30 didn't like them one bit, but 45/70 loves them.
    Micky Duck, MB and Magnetite like this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakoswarosorted View Post
    I think you’ve got to lower your expectations when shooting subs. They certainly kill effectively if you put it in the right spot
    I'm well versed in this discussion The whole point of the Sub-X rounds is that they are supposed to expand at subsonic speeds. They don't most of the time. Almost everything from 22LR upwards will kill if you put it in the right spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakoswarosorted View Post
    I had one box that went super, took them back to where I bought them and they exchanged it for another box, so try that.
    I'm done with them. I see no benefit in using them over any old subsonic round and preferably one that is actually subsonic!
    Pengy and Micky Duck like this.

I believe these would be the proven answer to your subsonic performance woes however they are spendy
    Name:  lehigh.JPG
Views: 1216
Size:  32.8 KB
    Micky Duck and 338MAN mk2 like this.

MB
    Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    I believe these would be the proven answer to your subsonic performance woes however they are spendy
    Attachment 191889
    Definitely, but I don't reload and can't find any outfit in NZ who will do it.

You need to upgrade…

MB likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

I fired some of the old 205 grn ones with my set up [same as yours ]and defiantly loud but they were super quiet in my 10 in ar 15 . I just think the barrels are to long . Good to hear about the 135 ftx as thats my next super load with 18 grns 2205 once I run out of tnts . My mate shot alot of deer with my load of 160 ftxs with 40 grs of 2208 in a no4 308 {hence lighter load ] and it sure dropped them .
    MB likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    I have some 308 Sub-X handloads but haven't put one in an animal yet. But I had noticed that they seem to make smaller holes in paper and trees than my subs with Robert's 151gr cast bullets.
    My supersonic load for the bush rifle is the 160gr FTX (my 30-30 didn't like them) doing 2350fps, that load does a lot of damage on fallow. I mostly hunt with the supers, with a couple of young guys (and a dog) in training I want the deer to drop when they are shot.
    Name:  Fallow.jpg
Views: 1157
Size:  302.2 KB
    Micky Duck and MB like this.

subs are good for finishing off at CLOSE range,hares,and possums...and maybe close wallaby..... you gots to have all ya ducks in a row but as you have finally found out...supers are just so much betterer....