Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By Toby
  • 2 Post By Gibo
  • 1 Post By Gibo
  • 2 Post By MDub

Thread: 7 08 ammo

7 08 ammo

Hey iv brought a howa 7 08 an was wondering what rounds people use an what sort of groupings etc you acheive i have a stainless barrel

Each rifle shoots differently so you'll have to test it out yourself
    veitnamcam, BRADS, deer243 and 1 others like this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by peach fuzz View Post
    Hey iv brought a howa 7 08 an was wondering what rounds people use an what sort of groupings etc you acheive i have a stainless barrel
    Standard load is with the 140gr bullet and I'd suggest you stick with this weight bullet for starters. As Toby says, you'll have try different brands of ammo until you find one that suits your rifle.

Try the cheap stuff first i.e. federal blue, highland as some of these shoot bloody well. Don't go expecting Hornady SST or other $70-80 ammo to shoot better because its expensive because in my experience it isn't always the case.
    veitnamcam and Nick-D like this.

Cool as il have a look at gun city theu seem to have the biggest selection

Oh dear me. I spose they cant fuck that up too much. Just double check its the right ammo before you fire it
    Tommy likes this.

Haha are they that bad there?

They can be.

Where are you based peach fuzz?
    Welcome to Sako club.

Hornady American whitetail seems to be the best of the cheaper ammo I've tried, the interlock projectiles have opened up nicely without putting lead fragments every where on the 2 deer I've shot with them so far. Belmont ammo uses the boat tail version of the hornady interlocks and I can consistently get half moa groups with that which I'm really happy with, It's a bit more expensive though.
    Gibo and Danny like this.

a few people on 1 on the fakebook pages reckon that the cheap ppu ammo is the ducks nuts for grouping in those muskets...yet to prove that myself tho!

I can't even chamber that stuff in my tikka, the bolt won't close. I think it's because the brass has slightly rounded shoulders and the backs are slightly lumpy and uneven.

I had bought some cheap ppu ammo for the sole purpose of using on goats at short notice and I was short on cash at the time. Well did not get to go goat shooting for some reason or another and the ppu ammo sat in the safe for a few years or so. A few months ago I took it to the range to use as practice rounds after testing some reloads and the bedding I had done on my T3. Holy crap the 3 shot groups where clover leaf, better than other off the shelf stuff I had used before I got around to reloading. No problems feeding too.

I'm not going to say what the other brands are as it may bias you in not trying them as I was initially with the ppu 140grns ammo. Try everything you can get hold of and see what shoots best.
    Last edited by Slug; 02-08-2015 at 02:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmatix View Post
    They can be.

Where are you based peach fuzz?
    Hey im in pukekohe