Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By shooternz
  • 1 Post By zimmer
  • 2 Post By zimmer
  • 2 Post By zimmer
  • 2 Post By wanneroo

Thread: 7.5x55 swiss

7.5x55 swiss

Hay guys is anyone here reloading for 7.5x55 swiss? Iv got a K31 and im almost out of ammo (have brass) with no sign of being able to purchase any factory ammo. I found a set of dies while in at reloaders todays so grabbed them. Iv also got a a box of sierra match king 175gr 30cal pils as have read these work well as a replacement for the GP11 factory ammo.
    Any one have an data they've used ? Powders etc ?
    Not chasing crazy accuracy more so just wanting some ammo to put thro it
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Teggy View Post
    Hay guys is anyone here reloading for 7.5x55 swiss? Iv got a K31 and im almost out of ammo (have brass) with no sign of being able to purchase any factory ammo. I found a set of dies while in at reloaders todays so grabbed them. Iv also got a a box of sierra match king 175gr 30cal pils as have read these work well as a replacement for the GP11 factory ammo.
    Any one have an data they've used ? Powders etc ?
    Not chasing crazy accuracy more so just wanting some ammo to put thro it
    Cheers
    I have loaded for one not your typical K31 mine has a 1:13" Tru elite barrel I shoot Sierra 155 PALMA in it, Your groove diameter is .306" and bore is .297"
    so take care working up loads the Sierra 175 MK is a good match or the 175 VLD Berger, Rumor has it that RL17 is what is loaded in the GP11
    http://www.vihtavuori.com/upload/gui...2014engwww.pdf, has reloading data
    Good luck
    Robert.
    Teggy likes this.

I tried the heavier projectiles in mine (Nosler) and didn't get any good enough results. Ended up with superb results with 155 gr Lapua Scenars and Sierra MK 2155s. Also tried Sierra 155 gr TMK and they were excellent but a bit pricy for me.

Using Norma brass and 2209, RWS primers. Mild load at 2430 fps.

Out yesterday using diopter sights(my eyes are ancient) and shot a 6 shot group at 1.5 MOA at 100 yds.
    Also have a side mounted 4x scope and most of my groups nudge <1MOA with that.
    Tried some 155gr Dyer yesterday and they performed very well so will stock up a few.
    Also tried 2213sc yesterday and that was hopeless.

The K31 accuracy continues to amaze me. No wonder the Yanks love them.

I have a second K31 that I shoot H&N lead projectiles with my 22 Hornet powder. It also shoots OK.

Have a reasonable quantity of GP11 but have never got around to firing it.
    There is also a guy in Wanganui bringing in ammo (Prvi?). I enquired but his FMJ had sold out real qiuck.
    Last edited by zimmer; 10-09-2020 at 01:45 PM.
    Teggy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    I tried the heavier projectiles in mine (Nosler) and didn't get any good enough results. Ended up with superb results with 155 gr Lapua Scenars and Sierra MK 2155s. Also tried Sierra 155 gr TMK and they were excellent but a bit pricy for me.

Out yesterday using diopter sights(my eyes are ancient) and shot a 6 shot group at 1.5 MOA at 100 yds.
    Tried some 155gr Dyer yesterday and they performed very well so will stock up a few.

I have a second K31 that I shoot H&N lead projectiles with my 22 Hornet powder. It also shoots OK.

There is also a guy in Wanganui bringing in ammo (Prvi?). I enquired but his FMJ had sold out real qiuck.
    Does yours have the diopter sights? Mine doesn't and I'm wondering how the Swiss manage to engage targets at distance accurately with them.

If you ever decide to part with your GP11 ammo please give me a shout

I have shot mine with the service (open sights), diopter sights, and with a side mounted 4x scope.

Somewhere on Google (there is a huge amount of Swiss rifle stuff available) there is an article on how they set up the open sights. IIRC it goes something like for 100 and 200 direct aim, then for ranges up from that a 6 o'clock hold when shooting at certain size black ring. People were finding that the K31 shot high at the longer distance with GP11 and couldn't understand why. The article explains that the Swiss set up the sights for the longer distance using 6 o'clock hold. Not sure how that equates for human targets but of course the Swiss never fired a shot in anger.

Below is a target I shot with the service sights. All squares are 1.047 ". My eyes are now ancient but the K31 sights are so well designed aiming is still good for me. Keep in mind that the standard acceptable accuracy for a 303 was something like 4 MOA at 100 yds.
    First shot with clean barrel is out on the right. This particular rifle always does this.

Name:  K31 # 1 12 Aug 20.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  631.5 KB

Here is a target I shot yesterday. S209 group is shot with the Diopter Sights attached. Both S210 (a bit ragged elevation wise) and S211 shot with 4x Scope attached. S211 was my first trial with 155gr Dyers. Not quite MOA accuracy The scope is a 60 year old Nickels 4x81.

Name:  K31 #1 9 Sep 20.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  263.9 KB
    Last edited by zimmer; 10-09-2020 at 03:25 PM.
    Ryan and Teggy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by LookingForMauser View Post
    If you ever decide to part with your GP11 ammo please give me a shout
    I'll keep you in mind.

Anyone looking for factory ammo this guy has some but only SP, no FMJ. https://ammodirect.co.nz/product-category/7.5x55-Swiss/
    Also checked with the NZ Sellier and Bellot agent. They have brought it in but none at present.
    Teggy and LookingForMauser like this.

I'm reloading 7.5 Swiss for a K-31 and actually reloading near 40 year old GP 11 brass with berdan primers and Reloder 17.

I ran into issues with a short throat and using 168g Sierra Match Kings. I didn't really like how it all turned out. Apparently 175g Berger VLDs are close to the GP 11 bullet and work the best and I plan on ordering some of those. I might also try some Hornady 150g FMJ bullets and see how those do. In the end I like the GP 11 ammo and fortunately have two cases of it.

Prvi Partisan is the big manufacturer for factory ammo these days. RUAG put GP11 back into production a few years ago but I have not seen any outside of Switzerland yet.

Swiss methodology I believe was zero for 300 and aim at the belt buckle on the invaders.
    zimmer and Teggy like this.

I'll keep you in mind.

Anyone looking for factory ammo this guy has some but only SP, no FMJ. https://ammodirect.co.nz/product-category/7.5x55-Swiss/
    Also checked with the NZ Sellier and Bellot agent. They have brought it in but none at present.
    Cheers mate hadn't been on here in a bit and just seen this. iv ordered a couple boxes of that and will reload the brass later