Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: 7.62x39

7.62x39

Anyone loaded the 123gr Barnes in the 7.63x39, was going to try but encase they are a failure thought I'd ask. Wondered if the manufacturing process allowed for expansion at lower velocities as they start out slow.

Don't go there! You'll get narrow wound channels due to poor expansion. Barnes monolithics have the need for speed to work and even then I don't much like them.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Don't go there! You'll get narrow wound channels due to poor expansion. Barnes monolithics have the need for speed to work and even then I don't much like them.
    Have used other calibres with Barnes for many years without a problem, will contact Barnes as I've been informed the 7.62x39 projectiles open as low as 1400 fps.

Quote Originally Posted by tetawa View Post
    Have used other calibres with Barnes for many years without a problem, will contact Barnes as I've been informed the 7.62x39 projectiles open as low as 1400 fps.
    Thats interesting... not doubting you mate but 1400 fps is well below the expansion threshold for many traditional cup and core bullets as well as some of the more modern softer long-range bullets.

Would love to know what Barnes say... around 2000fps terminal velocity would be my guess.
    Puffin likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

Why not just use heavier cast HP projectile in this a short(er) range hunting cartridge? The rifling twist is usually fast enough.
    @shooternz might chip in with what he's got or what others have done.

Sadly, some horse (!) sense will tell us the problem semi-autos may have with feeding soft lead boolits has been ... "solved".
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Thats interesting... not doubting you mate but 1400 fps is well below the expansion threshold for many traditional cup and core bullets as well as some of the more modern softer long-range bullets.

Would love to know what Barnes say... around 2000fps terminal velocity would be my guess.
    Wasn't a mate, was a Barnes wholesaler, couldn't see the sense of the making a projectile specifically for the 7.62x39 that needed 2000fps to expand. May grab a packet and run some tests.

I'm getting 2500 fps with 125's in my Howa using CFE BLK, haven't checked for accuracy yet but as long as it'll do under 50MM at 100M it'll be good at all 7.62x39 ranges.

So if you can get the Barnes going like that they'd be pretty effective I'd think.

Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    I'm getting 2500 fps with 125's in my Howa using CFE BLK, haven't checked for accuracy yet but as long as it'll do under 50MM at 100M it'll be good at all 7.62x39 ranges.

So if you can get the Barnes going like that they'd be pretty effective I'd think.
    Will do, brought the Norinco to try the calibre, if ok will buy a Howa.

I used to use the hornady training ammo ,it was loaded with the 123g sst bullet and it worked really well ,also the highland ammo was good for bigger deer it was a lot harder and penetrated nose to tail on Sika.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Have you looked at Ruger Ranch? Five shot mini 30 mags which appear to flush fit. Howa single stack hang out the bottom.
    When I had a 223 Mini Howa, did a mag chop, may try again. Will have a look at the Ruger also.

tetawa...the suggestion to try Shootersnz 151grn cast HPs is a good one....either ran subsonic (think powerpoint .22lr on steroids) or poke them out 1600fpsish and be happy camper...plenty of good projectiles out there...my norinco runs .308 cal ones fine the 130grn hp speers are a good option.

His 151gr stuff is bloody good
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

You guys loading the 151g cast full power and using on deer?i use them as subs in my .308 for small game,how do they go on redskins?

@Shootersnz where are you Robert??? there are guys using them in .30/30 I BELIEVE 1600-1800fps is the top speed to go????

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    @Shootersnz where are you Robert??? there are guys using them in .30/30 I BELIEVE 1600-1800fps is the top speed to go????
    @shooternz
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt