Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Thread: 708-X Bolt 16 inch is slow

Quote Originally Posted by stevodog View Post
    I use cfe223 in 308 and 8 x 57. I use 2208 in 708 and 350RM. I could use either/or for all but the loads are set and I can't be bothered changing.
    Like both these powders
    yeah but what length barrels mate?

Ive had the best success with BM8208 in 16" .308 barrels.. 708 will likely be the same. You get the speed without the noise and fireball of 2206H or 2208.
    Moa Hunter, winaa and Pommy like this.

When I was using 125 ABs in my 16" 308 I was getting 2950fps with H335. I know the 308 is slightly different (more volume in the bore) but 2600fps does seem slow.
    ANTSMAN and Moa Hunter like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

2206 should give you more speed than 2208 or 2209,in a short barrel. Some time ago I was a few issues developing a load and an old timer that shoots very well, a long long ways, and has reloaded for 50 odd years, gave me some advice......If you're not sure your rifle is utilising all the powder take it out on a dark night and fire off a shoot in a safe direction and watch the muzzle flash. The less flash, the more efficient the load/powder combination. If you have lots of muzzle flash then your powder is still burning once your bullet has exited the barrel, therefore wasted. From that advice I changed from 2213 back to 2209 and sorted the issue.

Having said all that, dont get hung up chasing velocity, its way overrated for many hunting rifles. Pick a nice accurate load and just go shoot some shit instead of spending time chasing another 100fps - the deer aint gonna know the difference.

Try 2208 with magnum primers. Gained 150fps in my short barrel 270 just by changing primers
    ANTSMAN, Moa Hunter and outlander like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ANTSMAN View Post
    Xbolt 708, barrel is 16 inch-
    loading 130 Speer hot cor for Sika up close.

Struggling to get to 2600 with 2206h/1grain over max.

Any suggestions for powder change?

Also will probably try 150 SGK as suggested by others- if velocity is similar will go that way.

Thanks
    Ants
    As long as you put the 130gr in the right spot, speed doesn't matter. I rather hit a target a bit slower but accurate then missing it with an extra 300fps. Just saying ...
    Max Headroom likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JaSa View Post
    As long as you put the 130gr in the right spot, speed doesn't matter. I rather hit a target a bit slower but accurate then missing it with an extra 300fps. Just saying ...
    gosh- "just saying" didnt need to be said.My question relates to powder types- Im not interested in your opinion. on shot placement thank you and not worrying about speed.... because I already hold that opinion.

Struggling to get to 2600 with 2206h/1grain over max.
    not worrying about speed
    Yep, totally reads like it
    Good luck with your quest.
    Shearer likes this.

gosh- "just saying" didnt need to be said.My question relates to powder types- Im not interested in your opinion. on shot placement thank you and not worrying about speed.... because I already hold that opinion.
    Is that really necessary? This is a forum and everyone is entitled to an opinion. He made a fair and reasonable point and wasn’t making any criticism or attempting to offend.

Good luck solving your problem, and you may find more people willing to help if you can be more agreeable.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
    Is that really necessary? This is a forum and everyone is entitled to an opinion. He made a fair and reasonable point and wasn’t making any criticism or attempting to offend.

Good luck solving your problem, and you may find more people willing to help if you can be more agreeable.
    yep - have been here a while mate. I got lots a value from the posts ta.

I’d give 2208 a go. I had a 15-16 inch 7 08 that did 2880 with 120 bts and 45 grains 2208. Maybe a grain or two less with the 130 would get you to 2800 or so.....

That is farking slow im getting 2750 with 139 sst with 2206h.
    With sauer 100 7mm08 with a 16inch barrel 43gn rem brass
    Are you getting pressure?
    superdiver likes this.

Banned
    You liking the sauer muka? I had one in 6.5prc though the mag was fiddly to fit. That was my only complaint but was enough for me to swap out for a tikka.
    Wicked pills those 139s. I load them for mates rifle and they hit hard with pass throughs a big wound channel.

Yeah i hear the mag can be a problem, i must have got lucky.
    I like the rifle shoots and handles well,
    Couple of complaints would be that the coating on the bottom metal is just falling off and one time i put the bolt in backwards and had to strip it down and remove the trigger to get it out.

How do you like 6.5prc?
    @stevodog