Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

7mm 139 SST for goats. Any good?

I usually run the 162 A-Max in the 284 on goats and they work well. But during the last shortage of the A-Max I changed to the Berger 168 and there performance is a bit patchy. Which is a shame as they are shooting bloody well. Any how I thought I might try the 139 SST and was interested in there performance at hard put downs. I know there BC is down but if I can get them too 3250 they will be plenty good enough for were we hunt and the long shots can be done with another setup.

LJP
    I load these for a Mates 7-08 at a lowly 2,650fps (shoots thumbholes at these speeds) & they are absolutely hammer of Thor out to 500 yards on goats. Sacks them on the spot even at this slow speed!

That's the kinda response I was after LJP It was my shot to block a hole in the fence last weekend and I failed. The one shot that had to do the job and the bastard didn’t realize he was dead till he got through. I'm a big fan of the 162 but hoping the lighter bullet will be a bit nicer to shoot as we are getting through 100 odd rounds a day. This work load is shared with the 6 x 47 but still. I'll do a bit of development tomorrow and hopefully the nod lines up somewhere around the 3250 mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Bugger That View Post
    I usually run the 162 A-Max in the 284 on goats and they work well. But during the last shortage of the A-Max I changed to the Berger 168 and there performance is a bit patchy. Which is a shame as they are shooting bloody well. Any how I thought I might try the 139 SST and was interested in there performance at hard put downs. I know there BC is down but if I can get them too 3250 they will be plenty good enough for were we hunt and the long shots can be done with another setup.
    I have plenty of packets of 162s if you want some

Thanks Gregg, I cleaned out 3 packets from HF a few weeks ago and 6 packets from another shop yesterday. So right now I'm pretty good for 162. But my mate has just started with a SAUM and they will be an excellent choice for that. He will be looking for 500-600 Id imagine. Hes got about 300 140 VLD at the moment to get rid of. How many have you got?

I'm with ljp. They are excellent on the goats. Shoot em in the neck or the head and the drop like the proverbial spuds

Sent from the swamp

Quote Originally Posted by Bugger That View Post
    Thanks Gregg, I cleaned out 3 packets from HF a few weeks ago and 6 packets from another shop yesterday. So right now I'm pretty good for 162. But my mate has just started with a SAUM and they will be an excellent choice for that. He will be looking for 500-600 Id imagine. Hes got about 300 140 VLD at the moment to get rid of. How many have you got?
    Not sure to be honest got another back order filled the other day say 12-18 boxes at a guess ? could be more actually

Quote Originally Posted by chrome View Post
    I'm with ljp. They are excellent on the goats. Shoot em in the neck or the head and the drop like the proverbial spuds

Sent from the swamp
    An ex army will drop them like a spud in the head or neck too mate.

Mate smacked one with a 140 VLD perfect hit just behind the front leg but as it was up hill exited high. Dropped like a stone then caught its breath and got back up. I hate that. I like them to go down and stay down. That was an honest hit and shot plenty with an A-Max right there just like that and they don't move. I have the Berger Bullets tee shirt and brought thousands of projectiles. I love there BC but I'm done. Too patchy for my liking and loosing so many through the hole in the fence pissed me off. I tried the Sierra 75 HP in the 6 x 47 and that was good but the Hornady 75 V-Max is insane.

Good to know Greg I'll let Mike know tomorrow.