Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: 7mm Rem Mag or 284 Win.

I'm getting 2940 fps out of 284 22in bbl with 160TMKs & Superformance powder. Another 30 - 40 fps with RL17 but accuracy not as good.

Rem Mag will be easier to get brass for, but ballistics are closely matched, a deer at 500 yards won't know the difference.

6.5x284 brass is easy to get simply size and load.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last issue of NZ Hunter magazine had a good article on the "super pig" chamberings (pros and cons). Worth a read.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

Went through this myself. Ended up going 7 Rem mag. Much easier to find brass for. Rechambering is an automatic $200 which buys a bit of ammo. Went 22" barrel and brake. My most accurate loads are just under 3000fps.
    GWH likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    I'm getting 2940 fps out of 284 22in bbl with 160TMKs & Superformance powder. Another 30 - 40 fps with RL17 but accuracy not as good.
    Thats impressive.
    Is that on a long or short action?
    Have you tried 180gr projectiles with superperformance powder?

Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    Thats impressive.
    Is that on a long or short action?
    Have you tried 180gr projectiles with superperformance powder?
    Yeah, got me smiling. Its built on a Tikka action (was 2506) & TF UM bbl so did not have to piss round with bolt stop etc and plenty of room in the mag. Want to try the 175gn Berger Hunter Elites as next step - but that will have to wait till winter.

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    Yeah, got me smiling. Its built on a Tikka action (was 2506) & TF UM bbl so did not have to piss round with bolt stop etc and plenty of room in the mag. Want to try the 175gn Berger Hunter Elites as next step - but that will have to wait till winter.
    There seems to be a lot of interest in 284 Win lately, if you do any load development make a thread on here.
    Whilst I don't need a new rifle in the slightest I am somewhat considering a 284 build. A mate has all the gear to neck up Lapua brass, so makes it easy for me.

GWH
    There seems to be a lot of interest in 284 Win lately, if you do any load development make a thread on here.
    Whilst I don't need a new rifle in the slightest I am somewhat considering a 284 build. A mate has all the gear to neck up Lapua brass, so makes it easy for me.
    Yeah the old 284 win is a pretty effiecient cartridge when run in a long action where you can seat bullets right out to make best use of the full case capacity. I have two 284's a 22" and a 17". The 22" hardly ever gets used now, as the 17" one is much handier and suppresed so just easier all round. And i have a 22" 7mm SAUM.

I like the 284's but honestly going 7 Rem Mag is a whole lot easier. Buy a factory 7RM, and be done with it, brass is easier, no pissing around with necking up 6.5 lapua, no drama with having to neck turn (if you used a tight neck reamer like i did when i did my T3 708 to 284 conversion).

Koozas 20" T3 7RM is near the perfect all rounder really, and very easy and low cost to achieve it. Job done

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Yeah the old 284 win is a pretty effiecient cartridge when run in a long action where you can seat bullets right out to make best use of the full case capacity. I have two 284's a 22" and a 17". The 22" hardly ever gets used now, as the 17" one is much handier and suppresed so just easier all round. And i have a 22" 7mm SAUM.

I like the 284's but honestly going 7 Rem Mag is a whole lot easier. Buy a factory 7RM, and be done with it, brass is easier, no pissing around with necking up 6.5 lapua, no drama with having to neck turn (if you used a tight neck reamer like i did when i did my T3 708 to 284 conversion).

Koozas 20" T3 7RM is near the perfect all rounder really, and very easy and low cost to achieve it. Job done
    a 7RM at 20” vs a 7 Saum at 20”? Any real world difference?
    Worth the bang and buck?
    I’d have a 284 at 20” over the rem mag any day of my god-forsaken week.
    Dan M

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    a 7RM at 20” vs a 7 Saum at 20”? Any real world difference?
    Worth the bang and buck?
    I’d have a 284 at 20” over the rem mag any day of my god-forsaken week.
    My 20" Saum is running about the same speed as a 20" RM with way less powder.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    GWH and Danny like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post

The thing I really like about 284 Win like you said is how efficient it is, it seems impossible to use so little powder in comparison to the 7mm RM and 7mm SAUM, yet seems to give up very little velocity comparatively.
    Whilst the brass prep is a bit annoying, the case life should be pretty good and barrel life would be good also. Also every man and his dog seems to have a Rem mag.

For a pure hunting rifle, the Rem mag is probably the way to go, but as I'd likely be building a hunting/target/tactical jack of all trades kinda thing, the better barrel life of the 284 appeals to me.
    GWH likes this.

The thing I really like about 284 Win like you said is how efficient it is, it seems impossible to use so little powder in comparison to the 7mm RM and 7mm SAUM, yet seems to give up very little velocity comparatively.
    Whilst the brass prep is a bit annoying, the case life should be pretty good and barrel life would be good also. Also every man and his dog seems to have a Rem mag.

For a pure hunting rifle, the Rem mag is probably the way to go, but as I'd likely be building a hunting/target/tactical jack of all trades kinda thing, the better barrel life of the 284 appeals to me.
    That wont end well
    199p and rossi.45 like this.

Thanks very much for the input lads.

I think I will go the 7mm Rem Mag route. Any one have pet loads for 20 inch Rem? Whats the concensus for the best pill from 30 to 500, We do ask alot of a bit of copper and lead!

Cheers

Troy

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    That wont end well
    You would think not, but it is certainly achievable.
    My factory Tikka lite in .260 holds it's own in the Practical shots of Gillies I've done, out shot many purpose built rifles.
    Almost shot a perfect score at 600yards the one time I took it to a NRA shoot, bloody suppressor came loose on the 11th shot and I dropped a point.
    Barrel get's bloody hot, after 10 shots but it still shoots straight.
    GWH likes this.